Mouse Turning into 4 Way Arrow on Right Click

Default 1920x1080. The cursor replaces the mouse cursor, not a keyboard movement.

the four way arrow shows up if you open a webpage or picture in a window that is to small to see the whole picture and have scroll bars on the right and bottom of the page

I can probably get a video of this. However I’m not going to pay to re sub to the game just to get a video of this. We also can’t post links here. How would you like me to get the video and send it to you? I can reliably get it to happen. It doesn’t happen often when doing basic low button per second stuff such as questing or flying. However, this 100% of the time happens when I open curse forge launcher while in game. It also almost 100% happens during every solo shuffle game. Please reach out to me so I can help solve this problem. I would like to resub and play if this can be resolved.

I am willing to share all game settings and gameplay of this happening. Please reach out to me via email so we can resolve this issue.

you can post links here - just highlight them and hit the </> button

why use the curse forge launcher when you are in the game ? you can’t update any addons when playing. the game needs to be closed and reopend for the addons to be added to the list ingame

Someone posted a video of the issue on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wotlk/comments/1106b0e/mouse_cursor_changes_to_crossed_arrow_cursor_and/

do you have any software that you downloaded / came with the mouse (not mouse drivers) some mice come with extra software like changing led lighting - speed - etc you might need to diable / uninstall it and test (if you have such program(s) installed

That’s false. All you have to do is /reload the game now. I first did this to update addons / check them when I reinstalled the game because they weren’t working. That’s how I noticed it. Then I’ve tried opening it in game multiple times to test if it triggers the mouse bug.

1 Like

I have the same software I’ve always had. It’s all up to date and nothing has changed on it. I’ve stated in the past my mouse drivers are all up to date as well. This is not an out of game issue. I’ve tried multiple pcs, as well as other people have as well. This is strictly an I game issue and has only been occurring to people after they have been downloading recent updates.

Never had any mouse issues until I downloaded the recent update 3/14 I believe.

1 Like

Well you’ve got hundreds of people posting in various places on the internet, you got a reddit link with a video of the problem, so what more do you need before you accept that this is something you guys caused ?

This is still happening to me on a somewhat regular basis. It doesn’t happen all the time - some times not for a day or two and some days it happens every 5 minutes.
Also I am playing WOTLK Classic - this seems to happen to people both in BFA and in Classic.

• The reddit link posted has a video - this is exactly what is happening to me when it happens.
  • I’m not sure how it happens. The cursor suddenly hiccups and then turns into the very annoying 4 way cursor and is no locked to the parameters of the screen whenever left or right clicking.
  • Fullscreen Mode
  • I only use 1 Monitor
  • I’ll try the “Lock Cursor to Window” option and see if it makes any difference, but with how inconsistent this happens to me, it might take a little while before I am confident it has stopped it if it does in fact stop it from happening.
2 Likes

TLDR: I discovered a cvar named “MouseNoRepositioning” that may or may not affect those in this thread. (Also, I’m not an expert. I’m just a fellow player trying to help out.)

Hello.

I don’t know if this would actually help, but I wanted to mention a few things since this situation sounded awfully familiar.

The other day (or maybe it was the day before that, I don’t remember exactly), I was messing around with cvars to see if I would like how the game played with some settings changed. I noticed a similar effect with at least one of the settings, and it made me think of this thread (I had been in the technical support forum the other day for something unrelated, and I remembered seeing this thread while idling browsing).

Full disclosure here, but I am not an expert. I’m more of a coding enthusiast still learning a thing or two. I’ve dabbled in addons in the past, but it was amateur-work at best. I’ll get around to learning more coding with Lua eventually, but I’m reading up on and experimenting with Java/Android right now… one step at a time…

Anyway… with that little disclaimer out of the way…

I don’t know if the effect is exactly the same, but it seems close enough. The CVar in question is MouseNoRepositioning. I noticed similar symptoms when I changed it to 1 (the default is apparently 0, according to what was listed on wowpedia’s cvar page). The camera could only be turned so far, as the cursor would get stopped right at the edge of the screen (and therefore, halting camera movement).

To confirm the current value the cvar was set to, I used:

/run print("MouseNoRepositioning: " .. GetCVar("MouseNoRepositioning"));

And I changed it to 1 using:

/run SetCVar("MouseNoRepositioning", 1);

Change the 1 to a 0 if you want to put it back to the default.

You can check to see if anything changes by setting the value to 0. I can’t promise you that this will fix anything, but I’m just putting it out there if you want to try it.

Something else to note perhaps: It’s possible that maybe some faulty code introduced in a recent patch could very well be messing with this or any other cvars, overwriting or otherwise ignoring your settings. I don’t know. I don’t recall having this problem before. I had to recreate it by purposely changing my cvars.

I hope you all can get your issue resolved at any rate. I can understand the frustration. Hang in there!
~Bearly

3 Likes

drivers are not the same as software apps eg - G203 LIGHTSYNC Gaming Mouse you can download something like OnBoard Memory Manager .(OMM) is a utility for pro gamers to quickly view, customize, and fine-tune the onboard memory of a compatible Logitech G mouse. — CONTROL AND SYNC LIGHTING ANIMATE ~16.8 MILLION COLORS WITH LIGHTSYNC. nivida has GeForce Experience there’s curse forge launcher (i do not have these installed and don’t have any problems) most of these programes run in the background (called services) even if you turn them off in the program apps interface… you can manually download addons for WoW without the use of the curseforge launcher app

I posted the clip on reddit that people are linking in this thread.

The issue happens randomly, I’ve been playing on dual-monitor setup. I have tried all addons disabled and a fresh install of the game. It happens every time I play but I cannot figure out what causes it.

I’ve tried playing with cursor locked, still happens. I play in fullscreen.

It commonly occurs when I’m just playing the game. Can’t be more specific than that. Sometimes it occurs within a few minutes of me running around Dalaran in WOTLK Classic, and sometimes it doesn’t happen until after an entire raid when I’m mailing stuff to an alt. It’s random when it happens and the only way to fix it is to exit the game and relaunch it.

Interesting, so after freshly starting the game, setting this to 1 creates the same symptoms I’ve been experiencing with this bug. Setting it to 0 changes it back normal.

After freshly starting the game again and waiting for the bug to happen, I ran the print command and it showed it was set to 0. Tried toggling it to 1 and back to 0 and it was still bugged out.

1 Like

Oof… Oh well, I tried. Sorry :frowning:
Back to square one, it seems.
~Bearly

This has been happening to me too for a couple of weeks. The phenomenon is exactly the same as depicted in the Reddit video link earlier. I’ve tried resetting my interface/WTF/Cache/etc. to no avail. Two different Logitech mice (a fancy gaming G502, and a dirt-cheap M100), same deal. Reboot, same deal. Windows 10. High-end Legion gaming laptop (provided by work), 16 GB RAM, Core i7-11800H, Geforce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU. NVIDIA driver version 512.36.

• Can anyone share a video or screenshot of the cursor when the issue happens?
    • The reddit video shows exactly the same thing that’s happening to me.
  • Has anyone found a reliable way to consistently recreate the problem? Detailed steps would be useful.
    • It happens 100% of the time, whenever I’m in-game and I use the mouse to click and drag. I don’t have to do anything to “recreate the problem,” it’s always happening no matter what character I’m logged in as or what I’m doing.
  • Do you play with the game in Fullscreen mode or Windowed mode?
    • Normally windowed mode, but I’ve tried both since this started happening and it seems to have no effect. In Windowed mode it happens whether the window is maximized or not, no matter how large or small I make it. (I’ve also rebooted several times.)
  • Do you have more than one monitor?
    • No, although I’m using an external 4K monitor plugged into my laptop, rather than the laptop’s screen. If I disconnect the monitor and use the laptop monitor (1080p), the problem still occurs.
  • If you enable “Lock Cursor to Window” under Options → Controls does the cursor issue stop happening?
    • No. This setting has no effect on the problem, whether it’s checked or not.

this crap be happening to me aswell and damn if they aint fixed it by the time i saw this post then my hope for these devs are out of pocket ggs