Monks! Are you fun?

Hey, I played a Monk back in MoP and it was super fun. But things have changed. I leveled my monk in WoD but boosted him with my BFA 110 boost.

I’ve noticed some changes to tanking; like not being able to control your stagger amount. It’s just tied to your Primary stat. That kind of means that secondary stats are kind of meaningless. You’ll just always take the highest item level gear.

I also noticed that you can’t run around while using Soothing mist anymore. So did monks just lose a lot of their mobility when Demon Hunters came around? ( I know a lot of other classes did)

And Windwalker seems a little weird now. I have a rogue, and a warrior and on both they can be a little spammy. But the Windwalker’s mastery favors not using the same ability twice in a row. I can’t help but feel that I’m either waiting around for a CD, or wasting resources (because I tiger palm a lot and Blackout kick can’t keep up.

So, do you guys find Monks super fun at L120 and decently geared?

Obviously fun is subjective, and it’s all about personal style and preference… But in terms of changes that have been made in the last few (4?) years. Is the class still a blast to play?

1 Like

They are fun in random BGs (but not in arena once you get players who know what karma is), and not as fun when fists stunned though. :stuck_out_tongue:

They have really good synergy with some of the random BG consumables. Definitely my strongest 1vN class, ATM.

4 Likes

Yes to all 3 specs, my favorite of each role.

4 Likes

I enjoy all 3 specs, though I started in legion so I can’t compare to MoP.

In legion MW could move while channeling soothing mist, but soothing mist was terrible and you couldn’t do anything else, whereas now you can cast instant-cast vivifies and enveloping mists on the target. I quite enjoy the changes MW received going into BFA.

Windwalker I find I’m almost always pushing something in ST, but there is a bit of waiting built in. I don’t mind it, it means to play optimally there’s some planning involved, I don’t feel like that’s a bad thing.

Regarding Brewmasters secondaries absolutely matter because they all do different things. Mastery affects how often you dodge, crit is self-healing, haste is brew gen through energy regen, lowered KS CD, and lowered brew charges, and vers is vers. The fight damage profiles in Uldir change what you gear for in terms of reorigination array. For most of Fetid Prog I was the off-tank, where mastery was useless, so I equipped as little mastery as possible, whereas now I’m MT so mastery is good. For Vectis most of the damage is a magic dot, so I made sure that my highest secondary was crit or vers so that those would be buffed by reorigination array.

Outside of that though, no not really just go highest ilvl. Less mastery if there’s a ton of magic damage, more mastery if there’s a ton of autoattack damage. For M+ a balance of stats is good.

WW and MW are really fun for me. Def roll one!

2 Likes

Nah, we aren’t fun…and we’re in a terrible spot at the moment (at least WW’s)

1 Like

Terrible is a bit of a hyperbole, from a PvE point of view WW is mid pack and we excel on some fights better then others.

Personally I find the spec fun and we’re only looking better in 8.1, how we’ll be damage wise is too early to say but damage can be adjusted quite easily.

1 Like

Har har har.
I see what you did there.

1 Like

:wink: /10 characters

I don’t mind brewmaster or mistweaver for the most part, but windwalker isn’t fun to me at all. It’s also really awkward having weapons for show and not for use. I wish they would change the spec, but probably not happening. I enjoy BM and MW enough to main a monk.

3 Likes

But then you get disarmed and realize that is actually a good thing. :wink:

2 Likes

To me they’re fun, they’re not fun objectively in my opinion

Hmm… point taken. Walking around and not being able to use your abilities sucks pretty bad, even if it only lasts for 5 seconds, those are the worst 5 seconds ever.

I used to really enjoy WW but sadly not so much anymore. I feel like they keep slowing down the pacing of it. I still miss tigerseye brew as a baseline in our kit as well. It was best in MoP to me and still pretty fun in WoD but after Legion idk… lol.

3 Likes

I’ve only played MW so far this xpac, but I love it. I complete WQ fast enough and almost all content wants a MW as healer. I love rolling in and DPSing for a decent amount and in the Open World, Way of the Crane is amazing.

MW is a ton of fun. I didnt need to roll multiple healers to keep enjoying myself because MW monk was/is so fun.

I think monks are the most fun class. MW is super mobile and does exceptional healing right now. WW is fun, but I don’t really like touch of death or karma. I wish they’d move WW dps off of those cooldowns and focus more on the rotational abilities.

1 Like

I love playing Mistweaver. I enjoy the mobility, the animations, and our healing kit. I switched my main to Mistweaver for BfA because I enjoy it that much and I really am happy with the changes we received for BfA.

Windwalker to me right now is just ok. It feels awkward to play and I don’t really enjoy the fact that we have to stand in stuff to take damage to do decent dps, lol. Probably just the healer in me that finds that annoying though. I do enjoy the mobility of the class and I hope things get better for it.

It’s definitely a fun class to play still in all three specs.

Not sure if it will be making it into 8.1 but I know there were some talks about revisiting some of the defensive cooldowns with damage components being used offensively. I know we mentioned this in the last AMA that that’s a kind of mindset we don’t want players to feel forced to do to add to their damage, rather than using it for personal survivability.

8 Likes

That is way to broad of a statement to even be close to accurate. I won’t speak for MW or Brew, but WW isn’t fun. The game, the content, the whatever might be fun, but the spec isn’t. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQb9plOtIvI
WW was equally unplayable in that video as they are now. The spec was enjoyable despite that in mop.

Onto the topic of the AMA. Any defensive ability, can be used offensively. It has been this way since the dawn of wow. Using a defensive, to mitigate the risk of a situation, to allow yourself to be offensive without being as punished, has been happening since vanilla.

That statement is as useless as stating “yes a spec does damage, so we’re looking at damage”. I’m far more jaded than most people here, but if you’re going to post, post something useful. I’ve seen threads deleted with more beneficial information than this one.

9 Likes