Monks! Are you fun?

I believe it more like the old warrior berserker rage giving rage on damage taken so they would stand in fire to do more dmg mentality. They dont want you to purposely take damage to do damage. The goal should be avoiding it and saving defensives for oh sh!t and unavoidable damage moments rather than part of your rotation.

I think WW will be fun in 8.1. They are nerfing Touch of Death, and redesigning good karma. The spec is getting a good baseline bump because of this which will be quite nice and help shift the gameplay away from “stand in crap to take a lot of damage so you can do damage” and actually being able to do damage without cooldowns.

The new Azerite traits are decent I think also. They are also getting a large PvP talent revamp which looks mostly good.

I would add the GCD change still feels pretty awkward though. You have Storm, Earth, Fire. Touch of Death. Xuen (if talented), all while trying to generate chi and actually use abilities. That doesn’t feel so great.

Unfortunately there are many other classes that need this level of changes that are not getting it.

I leveled as a WW and did a decent amount of BG’s and gearing and even some Mythic Uldir as a WW. I felt the damage was mediocre at best, and as varrow stated, the GCD on skills that are used in combination with other skills really hurts your damage potential. With all damage cooldowns being 1.5-2.5 minutes, you only have burst with minimal sustained damage, so it’s important to squeeze out every bit of dmg you can during your burst. However, half of your burst potential is spent waiting on GCD’s to allow you to press the next button. WW is all around in a miserable spot. The decent azerite traits for the class were nerfed by half. Maybe 8.1 will be generous to the class, but no love from me until then.

Brewmaster is pretty fun to me. I feel like stagger maintenance if a cool mechanic in raid. Compared to other tanks, I feel like it requires a decent amount of skill. However the BM lack of self sustain is pretty evident and the weakness to magic damage is crippling in pve and pvp. Thankfully a few gearing tweaks have made BM a bit more playable as far as sustain goes, but that will likely change through course of the xpac, especially without talents or abilities [outside of healing elixir (which actually only heals for half of what every other class’s sustain does)] to support it.

I have yet to play MW, but they are always in high demand. If you don’t play MW, people will not do pvp with you as a monk

We are very fun compared to most specs atm.

I find MW fun in dungeons, not so much in raids, I think mainly because too much of the healing comes form Essence Font, I’d like it a bit more balanced across other spells.

I like WW play-style too, one of my favorite DPS specs to play but it definitely has some issues like some other people pointed out: Karma should be a defensive not part of the DPS rotation, too much damage coming form Touch of Death, re-balancing those to be less % of the damage and buffing everything else could probably fix it… Also agree with the GCD thing, I find it alright to have it on SeF but having it also in ToD and Xuen makes using CDs feel clunky, this should never be the case, using CDs should always be a “high” point when playing your class.

I don’t play BM so don’t know about that one, I like having them as tanks though.

Important to note… all of this is from a PvE perspective.

I love WW, and I’m of the sacrilegious opinion that karma is fun in its current iteration. I’ve played a long time an no ability has ever been similar on any of the specs. I enjoy trying to figure out when to use it and not die in the process. That aside I enjoy the rotation and we do decent numbers. The one shortfall is how unforgiving our damage output is if we miss our burst window for mechanics ect.

MW is good too, I mained druid for every expansion prior to this just for resto and I can say I have almost as much fun on MW. I also like how you can have a choice between healing styles (tank heal vs spread) where as druid usually was the latter. Tanking I am still trying to figure out so I can’t comment on it too much.

I think you’re the first person I’ve seen complain about higher ilvl gear being better. :wink:

I do miss mobile Soothing Mist, but with Essence Font being castable while moving, the spec is still incredibly mobile. Mistweaver is OP right now, so plenty of people enjoying crushing the meters and carrying groups. Personally, I think the Vivify and Mastery interactions create a great depth of play, but the passivity of Essence Font and Renewing Mist make it too boring for me.

Not particularly. I really enjoyed it in legion, but various changes, such as the GCD change, have made it incredibly clunky to play and it just doesn’t feel fun any longer.

Short version: All three are fun, but BrM and WW have drawbacks.

Long version: the drawbacks

BrM has felt clunky since the loss of our Legion legendaries. The effects of the shoulders and tunic should’ve become baseline. They’re orders of magnitude better than Shadow Priest and Ele Shaman, but the bar can be set much higher.

WW has decent gameplay but no identity. Their basic concept is “I can do anything Havoc can do, only worse”. Much worse survivability, much worse sustained damage in all situations; WW has slightly better single-target CC, but that’s not a fair trade. Moreover, the GCD changes fundamentally ruined them because you’re pushing “set-up” buttons for 4 seconds before anything happens: Touch of Death … Xu’en … Storm Earth and Fire … trinket … ZzzZzZzZ

2 Likes

Last expansion mistweavers were a blast, this expansion they feel too clunky. I can’t even find the strength to finish leveling mine.

Brewmaster isn’t nearly as interesting as it use to be with High Tolerance beating out blackout combo, but it’s still my favorite tank spec.

I have only played mistweaver this expansion and not others. I’m having fun with it but don’t really have anything to compare it to other than paladin healing in BC a handful times.

Wind Walker is in a really bad place at the moment. The new GCDs make it feel clunky and the current need to use touch of karma offensively is just barf. It’s extremely CD reliant which just feels terrible. Pop stuff at the wrong time and the tanks move the boss or you have to run out for some reason you will be last on the meters. The ramp up time to do anything is frustrating as well. Stay away from this one.

1 Like

Am I the only one that’s noticed the nerf on PTR? Our damage is down from live on my character??? Fun it is, but I haven’t seen this “move” of dmg away from TOD and Karma actually replaced with anything. I’m worried about the “fun” quotient going down with bottom tier dips unless there is some compensation. Am I missing something?

Its just my opinion but I actually liked that aspect of my monk so far. It helps spice up combat after everything got neutered going in to BfA.

At the very least, it was far more interesting than anything azerite armor has provided.

The replacement for the damage loss in those abilties was extra damage added to the passive aura damage buff.

Or it was supposed to be at least.

Yep. Exactly what he said.
The word FUN obviously doesnt mean the same for everyone. I’d say for PVE and farming etc it’s really nice, but oh wait Bliizard is nerfing whirlwind too (i mean, of course) So it’s been 6/8 months of nerfs after nerfs, probably an old story between a Blizzard dev and his classmates calling him a monk when he was a kid. RIght now for high end pushing and pvp it sucks 365 days a year, like really really bad. YOu get ganked, stunned etc etc by classes that have been buffed and more buffed and that’s the reality. Try a normal Uldir run (good luck to get an invite) or an arena and see for yourself. In high M+ the defensive skills are way too weak and whatever you do you’ll always struggle to stay alive or pis s off your healer big time. The burst dmg of tod is a pain to manage and overall you’re doing 40 % less than DH or DK etc etc .
I’m having fun just doing old world content and i only come back to bfa for big azerite gifts / WQ and the weekly stuff. That’s it, once you have a certain level of gear and you are exalted with all factions, the content in BFA right now sucks, it’s extremely poor compared to to any other expansions. Missions : 2 at a time, garrison ? : nope, scenarios ? nope, more azerite bulls…t gear to fill up your bank : YES, ultra cheap and ugly ‘honorbound’ mogs : YES; cheap and absolutely ugly MOUNTS : yes.

1 Like

Whirlwind? The only changes I know of are the ToD/ToK/Good Karma nerfs and them just shoving damage into the damage aura as a general fix.

Interesting. I report what amounts to a net dps loss on PTR and I get “supposed” to comments about dmg moving to aura. Not on my meters :).

I consider myself agenda free unlike those that try to use the forums to publicly cry to spur Blizzard into action; sometimes for good reason and more often under false pretenses. They act like posting nothing but negative will get them an undeserved buff to make them better than the next guy = sad but true.

That said, I felt monk was fine. Not perfect, not what I want exactly, but ok all things considered. I do very well in wpvp. I feel competitive in raids. Not so special in mythic+ but not terrible. Oh, and Island expeditions can show you how weak your heals are at times.

In the name of this thread, I don’t however like the thought of doing good dps, shining in fights where I can cheese Karma, only really wishing I had a little better AOE, TOK heal, my FOF stun, and healing elixir back. Then, while I see most other classes getting some kind of buff or QOL improvement, I see my favorite class falling on the charts for 8.1. What is really weird is more people aren’t talking about it. I know I’m not the only one on PTR…

Hmm? What are we referencing here.

I’m also fairly certain it’s a nerf in every aspect to PvE as far as “what you’ll log on and see when 8.1 drops”. Only the PvP monks will see damage increases.

Does this mean they will be taking the lazy way of balancing our damage and just keep increasing the damage aura till something works?

the 6% buff isnt going to be enough of a bump to offset TOD and TOK nerfs. the spec is too reliant on CDs for dmg ( and in pvp those CDs are hard countered by half the specs in the game, meaning we are even weaker ). more rotational dps needs to be added into TP/BOK/RSK. and our aoe is completely overshadowed by all of the top tier specs atm. we used to be the cleave kings, now a demon hunter presses eyebeam and blade dance and is miles in front of us. and lets not get into mages, dks, warriors etcs. either SCK needs to hit harder, the MOTC buff needs to be higher or stack higher, or FOF needs to have its aoe cap removed again.

at this stage in the game, we really are just far more worse off havok demon hunters. they do everything we do but A LOT better.

its a miserable experience playing a windwalker right now.

6 Likes