MMObyte just released the top ten MMORPG's of 2019

XIV is an okay game, but players haven’t had 15 years to get burned out on it yet like WoW. Their PVE is a bit too formulaic for me and their healer design, as stated elsewhere in the thread, is pretty garbo, so for now I’m sticking with WoW even though BfA is pretty disappointing so far with all the messed up gear progression right now and RNG.

1 Like

I can see that you are a very grateful and mature Blizzard customer (or maybe former customer) considering how you like to promote others MMO in the forum of the company that let you play this game.

1 Like

It’s not hard to think WoW isn’t number 1. After all, any such list would be ENTIRELY subjective. All it takes is an editor with a bias and… boom, you’re not #1.

But to say WoW is TENTH???

Are there even ten MMOs that have more than 50 players anymore? They’ve all crashed and burned.

FF. WoW. GW2 (barely). Aaaaand… the rest is a long list of FTP games. Even if I missed one or two, that would still just be FIVE.

And WoW was ranked TENTH??? WoW is drowning in problems atm, but for nothing other than there AREN’T TEN OTHER GAMES, it’s not that bad.

Talk about spotting a ridiculous article from a hundred miles away.

2 Likes

Yeah, wow still hasn’t realized that removing game features is also removing playerbase.

2 Likes

WoW had the crown jewel of fast, fluid and fun combat. But in BFA with more pruning, and GCD changes classes feel sluggish.

FF has surpassed WoW when it comes to fun classes and combat and FF has a GCD which is better done.

2 Likes

Just going by your description (as I have no interest in seeking out this list/video), I think they might simply be putting up a list of what they think are the 13 most played MMORPGs and then ranking them by some other criteria. So they acknowledged that WoW is #1 in terms of most played, but ranked it lower compared to some other “most played” MMORPGs on their list based on the criteria they are using for the ranking.

How are you forming the comparison between Stormblood and Wrath of the Lich King?

If Stormblood is FFXIV’s third expansion, then the equivalent expansion for comparison would be WoW’s own third expansion, Cataclysm.

Or, another way of making a comparison would be by release date, so FFXIV’s Stormblood would be closest to WoW’s Legion.

Either way, FFXIV doesn’t have its own version of Classic, so I don’t see why it would have its own version of Wrath or Cataclysm either. They’re simply two different games with their own respective history.

First, their list says top ten most played and I don’t know how they got that metric because it seems to me their list is bullcrap. Secondly, they didn’t even list them in order. They still say that WoW is the most played MMO as far as they know. Thirdly, they listed LINEAGE 2 (CLassic) With 30,000 players as one of the top ten most played MMORPGS. There are most certainly games out there with bigger player bases than that.

This person knows nothing and just lists their most favorite games. I’d have no problem if they phrased it like that, but they acted like these are genuinely the most played game by players. Also as others pointed out it was released in December last year.

2 Likes

Yeah, if it’s really based on numbers, their list is highly questionable. At least if it’s on some subjective criteria, then whatever, anyone can make a list and it wouldn’t be wrong.

WoW’s gearing system resembles a Free 2 play or freemium so that probably was a factor in knocking it down along with age of the engine.

WoW has many strengths but the devs choose to nerf those strengths and don’t shore up the weaknesses (eg player housing).

Sorry that was a mistype, Stormblood is the 2nd expansion sorry

If it’s not the Preach and Asmondgold then we dont care.

Imagine how far along WoW should be.

Player housing
Expanded transmog options with a dye system for tinting different color schemes
A revamped reputation system
Classes with interesting talent choices
etc, etc, etc.

1 Like

Well this is just my opinion, but at this point, I’ve been alive for only just over thirty years but already I am having this feeling that in this incredibly short lifespan, that there is almost nothing new to see or experience, I mean most forms of art seem derivative in some way, shape or form.

I mean every idea that I can think of has already been thought of by someone else, or been inspired by someone else. If we had any longer lifespan, we would probably end up like the Q Continuum, sitting doing nothing and not talking as everything that could ever be said would have already been said.

That said though, I try to think of it like this…if we get inspired by other stuff, maybe that’s not a bad thing, even if we write something that’s almost a complete rip off of something else, it’s still our own interpretation perhaps?

What do you call the person who appears to only want to call anyone who expresses positive opinions about something a knight or a shill? There’s a handful of names that appear almost at the same frequency with those they call white knights or shills specifically to call people with positive opinions shills and knights.

Black knights? Shonts? Don’t know what the opposite of a shill would be (insert snarky “honest, not blind, somethingintendingtomeanenlightened”).

This is field research for when I grit my teeth and venture over to the overwatch forum.

Was this to get under Ion’s skin because of his previous statements:

A shill is someone who has a stake in something they’re promoting. The opposite of that would be just a fan (or even a non-biased third party if that is possible).

It’s just too bad people are quick to call other people shill or white knight or whatever other terms are being used. I think “fan” is more than enough as a catch-all term.

What do you call the person who appears to only want to call anyone who expresses positive opinions about something a knight or a shill?

This comes from the idea of ‘white knighting’, which is basically a man who will stand up for woman’s rights to be an equal, but in reality if such equality was to ever become a burden he would run to her rescue. A person that will go to great lengths to defend her, and so on. Such a person is despised by both feminists and men’s rights groups.

So basically what people are saying when they call you a ‘knight’ is that they think you will defend something that in their opinion, doesn’t need to be defended.

FF14 is a beautiful game, the wife and I both tried it out for a bit to see if we would like it and we did.

The character customization, the way the graphics looked, the wonderfully fleshed out crafting skills, and of course the various jobs you can have on one character made for a fun time with lots of choices.

My only issue was transitioning into what seemed to me to be a tad slower form of combat, but I got over that pretty quickly.

8 Likes

I don’t think you follow the actual meaning used here. The opposite of a shill being a fan doesn’t correlate since most people called shills are people expressing fan opinion. I’m talking about people who do the calling. They most definitely aren’t fans, although the gear and time played would suggest otherwise (unless they bought the gear).

Nobody asked you to do anything, try not to feel so special. You might as well not worry about any review of a product in life.