Microsoft/Xbox to aquire Activision Blizzard

I’m pretty sure it’s been long enough that it’s abandonware.

Honestly if he’s to be believed from his various interviews over the years, he had a non-interference policy when it came to the development of the actual games, and aside from trying to set deadlines and such to appease the shareholders, he didn’t really interfere in the day to day running of the companies under the ABK umbrella. His job seemed to revolve purely around the money making aspect. So yeah I don’t think his departure will change a thing.

2 Likes

Y’all remember:

Jeetil Patel, Deutsche Bank Securities - Analyst
“What do you think the retailers’ willingness these days is to hold inventory on the video game side? Are they building positions today or are they still very reluctant and very careful of how they are buying?”

Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard, Inc. - President and CEO
“I don’t think it is specific to video games. I think that if you look at how much volatility there is in the economy and, dependent upon your view about macroeconomic picture and I think we have a real culture of thrift. And I think the goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought in to Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games.”

“I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression.”

Bobby is leaving and the board is getting replaced. I see this as an absolute win.

2 Likes

Autai, did you used to post on General a lot?

I used to, not so much anymore.

I knew it. My memory is as flawless as my juggling.

No one should post on General. It is a bad and evil place.

I will actually respectfully disagree with you. I think to someone like Bobby, appearance is everything, and we can clearly see that from his “It was the delays actually” stance to his own departure.

In fact, in recent and highly public twitter threads, one of the higher up devs on Overwatch finally lost it at that comment and called out the fact that the reason Overwatch 2 is taking so long is that Kotick handed down direct mandates about content to be created on OW 1 that was subsequently scrapped. I’ve also heard that while Activision remained fairly hands off, that was only until Warlords, and that post Warlords the pressure to release on a consistent cycle was amped up to a degree Team 2(The World of Warcraft dev team) couldn’t compete with.

So yes, I do firmly believe that a changeover in C suite, access to increased resources, and Kotick’s departure will change how things operate.

5 Likes

Can confirm. I started posting more when LFD customization options were on the table. I wanted Onyx skintones so bad.

3 Likes

Your first mistake was in assuming that General was something other than where language goes to die.

5 Likes

You can’t post in General without an active sub now! Even if you have game time it’s enough :0 It needs to be a subscription.

I wanted to post something cheeky there but couldn’t :frowning:

I remember having to scroll past all the weird in fighting between people just to post, one skin tone plz lol

2 Likes

The Elf fighting was so dumb dude. Good lord lmao

2 Likes

It was a prime example of needing to go outside and touch grass.

Anyway still waiting for them to work on the other AR races like they said they would be doing.

-clanging pots together-

Dwarf eyebrow color matched to hair color instead of skin color!

6 Likes

I’m undead. The grass dies when I touch it

2 Likes

Maybe I should go see a doctor because every plant I ever owned dies lmao

3 Likes

Sorta unrelated, but looks like an announcement of some kind is happening next week:

Woah, the guy with so little power even his co-leader left publicly saying they have no power and nothing will change says something’s gonna change???

I bet it’s player housing.

Don’t toy with my emotions.

3 Likes

“We also know we need to deliver content to our players on a more regular basis and innovate both in and beyond our existing games. We have some exciting things to announce, and I’ll be sharing more next week.”

We’ll see if there’s hope for WoW I guess.

Bring down the faction wall >:D

9 Likes