Microsoft/Xbox to aquire Activision Blizzard

3 Likes

getting wow on my xbox 360

I just hope firing Kotick was somewhere in the fine print.

8 Likes

Oh no.

Oh no.

Oh no.

THIS IS A COMPLETE SENTENCE BLIZZARD.

2 Likes

Can they put Vivec in heroes of the storm now

5 Likes

Looks like Kotick will stick around during the transition then Phil will take over and hopefully give him the boot but most likely with a very nice golden parachute

8 Likes

A man can dream

I just had the realization that Soldier 76 could get a Master Chief skin in Overwatch 2 and my soul flinched

3 Likes

At this point ActiBlizz has very little room to move lower, so at worst this will keep things the same. Hopefully it’s a net positive though.

1 Like

If anything this makes me worry even more for the future of WoW. This game will be a footnote compared to other games Microsoft has control over. Either WoW will get even less developer attention or I could possibly see a situation where the plug gets pulled if the game becomes more trouble than its worth.

On the flipside this could potentially open the door for new Warcraft games.

1 Like

After amassing obscene wealth and earning the title of the most overpaid executive in games, he’s going to get a payout so thick it’ll pay for his mansions’ upkeeps for the next century.

That’ll show him.

6 Likes

ESO is a MMO with even less subs than WoW and it’s still ok after Microsoft acquired Bethesda/Zenimax. Warcraft is one of the biggest gaming franchises and the most successful MMO in history I doubt the plug is going to get pulled any time soon.

Retail and Classic on Xbox could be a thing in the future now. At the very least it will be on Gamepass. Not sure what that will mean for RP servers, unfortunately.

11 Likes

Maybe, just maybe…we can get WoW 2 now in some point in the future and wash our hands of all the filth and decay and get a fresh start in a modern made Azeroth. That’s the only positive I’m looking for.

3 Likes

Every game developer I grew up with is now owned by Microsoft. Weird.

3 Likes

It runs on Microsoft?

ITS OWNED BY MICROSOFT

To be fair Microsoft only just recently acquired Bethesda. I’d be more interested in what it looks like a few years from now to really get a gauge on how this would effect WoW.

I am really not sure how I feel about this.

My “dream” is for a change in direction for the studio to produce content reminiscent of the height of WoW (Wrath/Etc) but as it’s been said that they’ll largely allow studios to operate independently I’m not sure if we’ll see any significant influence.

And there’s a part of me that’s excited about what’s changing in the game space with MS really throwing out scores of cash to create a meatier portfolio of studios. I also have 1 share of MS stock so I mean-- :man_shrugging:t6:

But also am I the only one worried about the EA effect? Where one conglomerate just went on a rampage of buying out scores of gaming studios and publishers which eventually hurt the gaming space entirely?

5 Likes

I’m hoping to see this move the game in a positive direction, myself. I’m sure there’s a lot of ways this could go poorly, but I doubt that it’s going to be worse than what we’ve faced so far. The worst case scenario is that the game stagnates or is run entirely into the ground. Best case scenario, we see a change in management, get some new life moving in, and the game is given the love and investment it deserves.

One way or another, we’re going to see some changes. As stocks are on the rise, I do think this is more good news than bad.

I don’t think you spend close to 70 billion on a footnote. I would look at the reverse where they invested in something that could mean big positive changes. They have way more capital and infrastructure. I am excited.

4 Likes

Sips mug of beverage
Ah yes, the glories of the Corporate Dystopia. It’s just a shame instead of Weyland-Yutani, Omni Corp, or the Tyrell Corporation we get stuck with companies like Alphabet, Amazon, and Microsoft.

4 Likes