Microsoft Lays Off 1900

That’s not the point

The point is with blue collar your skill can go anywher,

Yes there’s downtime in construction, but during the time you are busy, you bust your butt off for that overtime pay

There’s a reason why you see construction guys dusk to dawn, working overnight, etc etc.

You as a skilled tradesman can go to another company so easy, people in the tech industry have to fight lay off ex employees and new graduates

During my time in COVID lockdowns in Florida ,I never had downtime, construction was still happening cause:

People make new families and they need a place to live is a prime example, Hospital’s need new rooms/beds, Restaurants expand

Etc etc

Infact, 2020 was my best year yet in construction industry

4 Likes

I can’t argue if it’s good or bad, but it’s silly to say it wasn’t financially successful for Blizzard.

What’s the “success” goal post now if being profitable isnt enough?

Same…

Especially because it came to Steam :rofl:

This is absolutely zero cause for celebration yet; Blizzard employees haven’t even been able to start their shifts for the day so they don’t even know if they’re laid off or not. There are a lot of talented folks at this company and it would be a damn shame if some of the company’s brightest devs got laid off.

3 Likes

Yes the hell there is honey.

Because they once again used their consumers good faith with the Diablo name.

Next one wont be doing so well. But keep thinking its a success and that anyone but the suites are safe from what happened today.

1 Like

“The people who are directly impacted by these reductions have all played an important part in the success of Activision Blizzard, ZeniMax and the Xbox teams”

But ook them, our CEO and the shareholders want more money

“We will provide our full support to those who are impacted during the transition, including severance benefits informed by local employment laws.”

We’ll give them as little as the laws will allow.

Yup, Phil is just as bad as Bobby.

6 Likes

Were you even around for the D3 launch? Nobody cared and readily jumped onto the D4 bandwagon.

Peppermint or Wintergreen chewing gum?

After years of not giving Diablo fans what they wanted.

You know the ones that left D3. Not ones that would follow willy nilly no matter what blizz does. They were giving faith once again. And they chewed it up and spit it out.

D4 forums is looking oddly familiar with all the faces. Same filth still around so I know it won’t do good.

2 Likes

I’ll bite.

When acquiring a new company, you have dual roles. Mostly in Administration. It’s better to work for the acquiring company than it is the company getting acquired.

If you were in billing with 15 other people, and a company is buying your company and they have 20 people working in billing, it’s safe to assume that you or your coworkers are getting the axe. Your boss is definitely getting the axe, don’t need too many chefs in the kitchen. I’m willing to bet most of these layoffs are coming from Admin, Management, or marketing, but that the core of the development teams will remain.

5 Likes

My thoughts:

The gaming landscape has changed so much the last few years with the rise of AI. Streamlining a lot of processes. A game started 6 years ago will undoubtedly have some design changes with this in mind.

Maybe it was silly to continue work on a 6 year old game instead of starting fresh.

Also with palworld doing so well perhaps survival games coming out now will fall to “palworld did it better” critiques.

As for the layoffs would it be possible they are cutting redundant jobs? Microsoft has its own legal, hr, etc departments.

1 Like

The game dev industry (software dev as a whole really) was pretty much bloated with hires over the last two decades and it’s been a steady stream of layoffs for a few years now. It’s nothing unique to MS.

It’s not a mystery. The bigger the teams, the more some slide under the radar.

Pot calling the kettle black.

Meh. Palworld is a survival-light game with very little focus on building or survival. No actual survival game should worry about being compared to it.

2 Likes

You know its doing real well when even Wudijo says its bad.

2 Likes

Diablo is a different animal from WoW

Most people who bought it probably played through the campaign and then quit.

It’s got nowhere near the same staying power as an MMO.

1899 actually. Cause eff them, I quit! fire me… a severance package? omg! WTH is the matter with me, no no, I didn’t quit…

ARPGS arguably have more replayability.

Well if their loot actually had meaning.