Memory usage?

If you guys keep experimenting you will just solve the problem for Bliz. Maybe that’s why it takes so long for things to get fixed, they want you guys to do the heavy lifting first!

3 Likes

For me I just hope the constant comments will at least get their attention :rofl:

9 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had memory leaks chewing up my RAM since DF and I was still on Windows. My PC died and I built a new one. New PC, new OS, but still memory leaks. They got somewhat better, but just came back with a vengeance in the past few days.

4 Likes

Didn’t work, been playing since that last comment with only 4GB WoW, then (right now) jumped to 6 then 19GB. Not AddOns so far.

I put DirectX 11 now and I’m going to test again.

3 Likes

I use DX11 due to DX12 causing some issues for me in the past (Linux with Proton), and I am also having this issue.

4 Likes

With DX12, I set Base Game Quality to 1. Render Scale to 50%, no v-sync, no triple-buffering, no aliasing, 16x anisotropic texture filtering.

Guess what? It still crashed.

5 Likes

I am on linux ubuntu 24.04. I Can confirm a memory link using a Nvidia 1660ti. This happens if it is set to X11 or Wayland. I have tried D11 and D12 without fixing the issue. Also I am not getting an out of memory message but I can see the ram usage jumping from 10gb to 32gb in Conky.

3 Likes

i have been getting this message for 2nd day … i am on 40 gb ram, and i checked the ram usage is less than 50% … this message appears, click the button and the whole game shut down, got to turn on wow again … i dont believe i havent got enough ram and that it is a ram issue at all

2 Likes

I also had this problem, it is uncomfortable because one has little time to dedicate to the game and that this with problems of crashes, and lag is uncomfortable.

2 Likes

I had this problem also.

2 Likes

Ok it’s about 10pm est on the 15th and I have to ask… is anyone getting it NOW? Cause I haven’t had it since I mentioned it earlier. I wonder if it’s fixed.

1 Like

Yes I’m still getting it regularly (classic era client)

4 Likes

Just had an 8 GB memory spike in Valdrakken. The game didn’t crash, but everything after leaving Valdrakken was laggy, the audio files didn’t play fully, and the RAM usage kept creeping up. I had to reboot my system with a three-finger salute after the game client had chewed its way through all 32 GB of system RAM.

4 Likes

Yeah, DX11 is not the solution, unfortunately. I started to write “so far, no crash” bam crash

2 Likes

My memory usage has been hanging at around 11GB (I have task manager open). And I only have 16. I’ve been on remix though hanging out in 2 Moons so not sure if that’s the difference.

3 Likes

Was running a legacy raid in a group just recently and me and 1 other person were both getting spikes still. I just tried a fresh install. I know some people said that didn’t work but I saw ONE person that did, so that gave me enough desperation to at least try it :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s way more effort than I would want to put in. :laughing:
I’m still fixing all my alts up from talent resets and redoing my UIs. :confounded:

2 Likes

I’ll be using Linux auto intervation in Memory usage.

If anyone is in Linux with SystemD, take a look at systemd-oom.service and start it, see if at least prevents a total system hang. If you don’t use SystemD there is a way to manually trigger Kernel’s OOM to kill any program that is eating RAM (https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/sysrq.html) and also a simplest way is https://github.com/rfjakob/earlyoom.

This is a workaround and I do not intend to keep these services up all the time, next WoW patch I’ll be testing without, I just don’t want to hang my system due to memory leak.

I don’t use Windows anymore so I don’t know any reputable way to do it.

4 Likes

Yep, it was futile xD went afk to get a drink just now, came back and im suddenly at 25GB of memory again…

5 Likes

I’m using earlyoom, but I haven’t had it trigger at the 90% threshold yet.

Each time mine seems to jump from 6-7gb to about 36gb. (At least each time I was monitoring it in htop) I have 128gb total so I’m not sure what if anything will make it go up that or maybe each event adds 30gb or something, not sure.

2 Likes