Memory usage?

Adding a +1 that this is happening to me since last night. Very frustrating.

3 Likes

UPDATE: Changing Graphics API to Directx12 doesn’t work. Crashed 2x already. While playing on main and on timewalking character.

:sob: :sob:

1 Like

Yep, definitely happening on Linux too.

I was at about 6G usage and then the game started stuttering for a few second and it jumped up to 36G

i.imgur. com/kRCPc8z. png
(can’t include links)

3 Likes

just piling on here. running nobara linux. also running into oom killer getting WoW.
from my journalctl:
kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 13189 (WoWClassic.exe) total-vm:79506988kB, anon-rss:26242824kB, file-rss:109772kB, shmem-rss:36308kB, UID:1000 pgtables:59676kB oom_score_adj:200

kinda impressive if it werent annoying. hopefully we get more info about this, or a patch.

2 Likes

Nice tip! Can confirm it works like a charm.

4 Likes

This is happening to me too

2 Likes

Happened late last night/early am for me with a cut scene in the evoker area and now it just happened standing around in Stormwind doing nothing. Def a Bliz issue with whatever they patched recently.

4 Likes

I feel like even after they fix it (please fix this Blizz lol…) anytime my game drops frames my eyes are gonna dart to my memory % :rofl: This is exactly what keeps happening to me.

1 Like

Same! - I have my task manager open pretty much all the time right now, so I can close things off if things are getting high. Been playing since '04 and this is the only time this has happened. Friends keep saying it’s on my end, but nope!

5 Likes

yep, happened to me last night. first WoW froze, and i had to hard quit voa Task Manager. I got back in for a few minutes, then got booted out with the “not enough memory” message (and i have plenty of memory available)

3 Likes

Did you see your memory as the crash was happening? Asking cause my memory goes from 3gb-30gb in less than a second which causes the crash, but as soon as it crashes it immediately frees up the space again.

1 Like

I play on Linux and face the same problem, I thought it was other problem since I play on Linux and memory was the last thing I thought to check, but for the last 2 or 3 days it has happened. Checked now and saw: 26GB wow, ate up all my 32gb.

I checked, it was only WoW.exe using 26GB.

2 Likes

I just want to add that I use Windows so it’s not an operating system issue - it’s WoW.

6 Likes

I tried both scanning my files and doing a fresh install, to no avail.

4 Likes

I tried to disable all the “Compatibility Settings” at the bottom of graphical options as it solved some crashes weeks ago, but that doesn’t work and the game still crashes.

3 Likes

Thank you for attempting this :heart: I won’t bother then. I did the scan too but hesitated on doing a fresh install.

2 Likes

Right now I’m testing without any addons activated. Let’s see if this helps.

1 Like

It did not for me - Wishing you luck on it though incase it works for you! :smiley: Keep us posted.

2 Likes

I asked friends who had those crashes, we only had one add-on in common. And no, that add-on is not the culprit. I haven’t tested a no add-on run though.

2 Likes

Understandable, I am facing this problem for a few days but everything aligned to mislead me.

Since I hack my own Window Manager (which manages my user interface) I was attributing the crashes to that. But today I resetted to stable, no changes and it continued. I thought it was some update (since most of related libs and programs necessary to play this game on Linux has updated last week, roughly when it started to happen). I was investigating this until I randomly saw my DMESG messages (system log basically).

A bunch of out of memory warnings, that gave me the hint and now I am checking if AddOns would cause WoW to explode Ram.

I’ll keep updating if anything changes. Assume it didn’t work until reported otherwise.

4 Likes