Megathread: Ogres as Playable Allied race

4 posters are almost half of the posts here. Some person is saying pair ogres with the release of high elves. so horde get a race that will easily the lowest race played yet alliance get another elf that will be very popular?

So dataming has recently started, and while nothing Ogre specific, theres some speculation with something coming up that may be spoiler related.

Hopefully I did this right. If I did, click the spoiler tag next to the arrow to see an upcoming scenario in 8.2!

Spoilers

Seems like there is a coup scenario and Thrall may be involved. Rexxar is likely there, but while Iā€™m hoping he remembers the Horde has multiple Ogre clans to help with said coup, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Rexxar just got too focused on Thrall being the savoir that could flick Sylvanas away with his pinky toe. We should keep an eye on it, though, and see what actually happens. Hope is all I can have at this point that, at the very least, the Horde Ogres make a presence of SOME kind. <- <

1 Like

he is putting his ideas into the thread, pretty different from constantly bumping for the purpose of keeping relevant, who i can count at least 2 threads who do exactly that.

last time i check the races are added to add flavor to the game, lore-wise and gameplay, nothing said a race need to be ā€œheavy playableā€ to be playable, this way there only be elves int his game, and would be awful

yeah, there is no Rexxar in the files yet, who is very strange, he is not present in Baine scenario either

If they are not waiting to do something else, they prob forget about him

3 Likes

Given that megathreads are different from regular threads, I do type up thoughts when it is reasonable. Usually I wait at least 24 hours if I am the last reply, and even then I try to add something to the thread and so Iā€™m not spamming or needlessly bumping. Megathreads are suppose to be for discussion of the race the thread is based on and also including ideas, keeping it all in one place if Blizzard is getting feedback for said races.

I also wouldnā€™t even worry about keeping the thread on the front page constantly. That is a losing battle and would drive anyone insane. On top of that, if Blizzard is using megathreads to get feedback of sorts, which they did allude to at least getting general feedback at the last QnA, they wouldā€™ve known by now of this threadā€™s existence and would be keeping occasion tabs. Thus, keeping the thread on the front page constantly for the sake of it isnā€™t really beneficial.

That said, even if it is just a few of us posting in here, it doesnā€™t mean Ogres arenā€™t a desired race or that noone wants them. There are plenty of people who do want them across different forms of media and have been asking since the game was created. Would the population of Ogre fans be close to some other races? Probably not, and nowhere near the size of some other races people want, but it would still be a decent amount and Ogres did play a part in Warcraft III. They have some significance.

On another note, Iā€™ve seen people state that it may have been said that popularity isnā€™t the only factor when Blizzard decides races. I donā€™t have a source to link, but it doesnā€™t mean that any race has no chance because they arenā€™t popular.

Anyway, getting back to Ogresā€¦

Iā€™d really like to think Rexxar may have finally remembered the Horde Ogres, a throwback to Warcraft III, and may be going to see what they are up to in order to rally them for the rumored coup that, because of recent events, is becoming a very likely possibility. Sadly, I worry that once again, the Horde will have forgotten them, and that theyā€™re just off getting drunk and picking their noses with nothing to do. I think I should gather up a list of loose threads that need tying up with Ogres in the near future.

If there is a form of a civil war, then the Horde wanting to overthrow Sylvanas, who I doubt will willingly step down and be peaceful and share tea and crumpets over the whole thing, will need a decent sized army to fight her. This is also with some of the Horde choosing to side with Sylvanas, granted I still am of the opinion that it is an illusory choice in the grand scheme of things.

As it is right now, there are clues that Vulpera and Gilblins could be allied races in the near future, both of which I would love to have, but while others need to be convinced to join the Hordeā€™s cause, I see no reason why the Horde canā€™t get the Stonemaul and Dunemaul clans, at least, to help out while they are already part of the Horde. Iā€™m sure the Draenor Ogres that came with the Magā€™har need something to do as well.

If weā€™re heading towards a second Siege of Orgimmar, then it is going to be an even more fierce battle than with Garrosh. The Horde is going need a lot of help to overthrow her, and I donā€™t mean the Alliance. Ogres, Vulpera, Gilblins, anyone they can bring into the fold will be a valuable asset in this battle.

As more datamining progresses, Iā€™ll see if we can figure out where this story is heading to be able to help suggest how Ogres can tie into it. Hopefully we get clues of some kind that at the very least, they have not been forgotten and will be helping the Horde out.

4 Likes

Pantheon MMO are going introduce Ogre Race. If world of warcraft never release Ogres, well i will get my Ogre fix from there.

I Hope Blizzard introduces Ogres in future.

Btw i was doing the Bladeā€™s edge mountain storyline, Liberating Ogres from Gronns was very fun questline including going to Ogriā€™la

2 Likes

I am actually curious if their Ogres have some form of intelligence and are like the WoW Orcs in that regard, or if they may lean towards Everquest 1 where theyā€™re dumb and still capable of being things like Shamans or Shadow Knights.

As do I and several other people. Iā€™ve seen occasional comments of how people would resub if Ogres were introduced, granted there are people like that for any race. Itā€™s long overdue, and there are several opportunities to introduce them as playable.

I think at least one clan of the BC Ogres is the Boulderfist clan I mentioned previously. I had forgotten about them and their leader, Lantresor of the Blade who is half Orc and half Draenei, who you deal with, both as Horde and Alliance I think, in Outlandsā€™ Nagrand. Hesā€¦not exactly friendly to either faction as you do work something out to get him to stop messing with the nearby villages. Itā€™s also weird because the Crushridge Clan leader, Mugā€™thol, is commanding a ā€œhead Ogreā€ of sorts, Orā€™Kalar, that is part of the Boulderfist clan that is in the Stormgarde Keep area of Arathi, I thinkā€¦

Now there is a Battle for Stormgarde coming up, a warfront I think, so weā€™ll see if Orā€™Kalar makes an appearance and if he has been relegated to being a jobber. Then again, stuff has happened in warfronts of killing established NPCā€™s that doesnā€™t actually take place in the lore, so who knows?

Iā€™m also happy you mentioned Ogriā€™la as those Ogres did come to help Azeroth before during Cataclysm. Taken from Wowpedia:

" When Azeroth was struck by the Cataclysm, the ogre Mogā€™dorg the Wizened left Outland in order to lend a hand, as seen in the quest ā€œThe Protectors of Hyjalā€, where Mogā€™dorg the Wizened is one of several NPCs who may help the player. In the quest, he utters the following lines, indicating that the ogres of Ogriā€™la may not have forgotten how the people of Azeroth aided them in their own time of need:

• ā€œI heard Azeroth needed saving. May I lend a hand?ā€
  • ā€œWe ogres are not all bad.ā€
  • ā€œYou have the support of Ogriā€™la.ā€
  • ā€œWe are friends of the world you call Azeroth. I am happy to provide any assistance that I can.ā€
  • ā€œIt is time that I returned to Ogriā€™la. I hope you do not forget about us, as we have not forgotten you.ā€"

Seems like with what has been going on, they might want to make an appearance to help Magni with what has been going on. Granted, I donā€™t know if they in particular would want to be a part of the war between Alliance and Horde, it really sounds more like they want to help the planet than either faction, but it was one of the first reps I thought of getting to exalted just in case it lead to an Ogre allied race.

That said, if anything, I feel like the Stonemaul need to be the main clan that comprises playable Ogres on the Horde, with other clans joining as needed of course. As I said before, given the coup rumors, it would make sense to gather at least the Stonemaul to have an Ogre army on standby.

4 Likes

Here is the description from their website.

The Ogres

With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

Classes will be : Dire lord, Druid, Shaman and warrior

I love the Roman history. Ogres in Draenor, the Gorian empire is based on Roman empire, their culture, The gladiators in the Arena and the centurion rank in their army. I fell in love with that.

I love to roleplay quest-lines, thatā€™s what makes levelling fun for me, right now i use that toy that drops from Arathi rares that tranforms into us Ogres to roleplay as Ogre during levelling xD

Sometimes i do the Highmaul raid just to get that feel, i love the arena part of the raid.

That will perfect opportunity to introduce them as allied Race :smiley:

I loved reading all your posts here in this thread, keep it up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is about how I imagined the Ogres in Pantheon when I first saw them. ^^

I have the same toy as well, but maybe someday weā€™ll have the real thing and not need toys to be Ogres. I was thinking of using this during my Ogre Summer Party/March idea I was toying with this Summer. Still need to work out details if it could work, so unsure if itā€™ll actually happen or not. ^^;

Indeed, which is why Iā€™m worried that the Horde Ogres may end up being forgotten again. They really havenā€™t done much since Cataclysm, aside from an emissary of the Stonemaul Clan on Pandaria. Iā€™m thinking of typing up a general list of loose threads in Horde Ogre storylines, though I need to go through Feralas as Horde again to refresh my memory.

Iā€™m happy someone enjoys them, as I do put in a lot of work. Especially the scenarios I typed up. I intend to gradually do more and space them out, with reasonable time having passed between posts. They are fun to work on. ^^;

Iā€™m thinking Rexxar is someone to keep an eye on when looking up datamine stuff. I feel like he is a potential key for introducing playable Ogres.

All we can do is speculate and play the waiting game. x- x

2 Likes

Yes, good race for horde.

3 Likes

Iā€™d be surprised and disappointed if Rexxar didnā€™t call them.
I meanā€¦why wouldnā€™t he?

3 Likes

Either he would just plain forget orā€¦

Spoilers

ā€¦he would be sulking about not wanting to work with Jaina possibly, given the Baine rescue attempt.

As I mentioned before, probably in another thread, the Horde really does need allies to help if the rumors of a coup are going to come trueā€¦and I donā€™t mean the Alliance. <- <;

Getting more races into the Horde, allied or core, will just help out in the long run. Between an army of Ogres to the rumors of Vulpera, who would be ferocious in battle, and Gilblins, who can launch attacks from water and likely utilize sea giants and the lobster guys in their group, itā€™s looking like itā€™ll be a heck of a battle to dethrone Sylvanas if it comes to that. Weā€™ll just have to see where the story goes, and if the coup rumors come true. ^^;

2 Likes

So I wanted to type about what Rexxar says when Baine is taken away:

ā€œThere are others who must hear of this, (player name). And they will.ā€

I am going to take this to mean people outside of the Horde, as everyone more or less knows about how Sylvanas is going insane with her own ambition. So since this is Rexxar saying this, and he doesnā€™t have much to do coming up as far as we know, then who could he mean?

Now, do I think that saying is specifically the Stonemaul Clan only? Probably not. Would I think that the Stonemaul Clan would be one of the ā€œothersā€ Rexxar mentioned? Then yes, I would.

Considering that Rexxar has ties to the Stonemaul clan, the Stonemaul clan has done quite a bit to repay the Horde while also already being part of the Horde, and would very much follow Rexxar into saving the Horde, I donā€™t really see why Rexxar wouldnā€™t go to talk to them about what is going on and get them to help. If anything, they would be in danger if a Horde civil war broke out and could have been forced to serve Sylvanas or even Dustwallow being blighted so they cause no problems.

The best case scenario for us is that Rexxar heads back to Dustwallow to talk to Tharg, Orhan Ogreblade (shes part of the Feralas questline and is commanding the Stonemaul Ogres there), and the Stonemaul clan in general, and let them know what is going on while promising to keep them updated on if Siege of Orgimmar 2 becomes a thing. Honestly, I could see Sylvanas wanting to take over Orgimmar, with Undercity gone, and another siege occurring.

Likely if we players have anything to do with it, weā€™d be sent to Dustwallow to see what is going on. Before that, lets talk about Feralas some. Feralas isā€¦well, as it turns out, mostly done. According to Wowpedia, in the Traveler book series, the Gordunni in Dire Maul get taken over by a human as a king (bleh) who gets them out of Dire Maul entirely and sends them off to places. Now, theyā€™re suppose to have a presence in Feralas still, but not in Dire Maul specifically. Likely any Horde and Alliance forces would be limited, given the war in BfA areas, so whatever is left of the Alliance would be fighting the Stonemaul and Horde for territory and likely Dire Maul.

We could argue that an emergency in Dustwallow is occurring with raids of the dragonkin getting stronger and raiding Brackenwall Village, causing Orhan Ogreblade and the Stonemaul ins Feralas to come back to Dustwallow. After all, it sounds like not all of Onyxiaā€™s brood was destroyed. We, as players, could be sent there to help the Stonemaul clan get their original village officially back and build a Horde base there.

This would serve a few purposes. The most important one is that this brings back the Stonemaul clan into the story, gives the Horde more assets in the coup attempt, and leads the Stonemaul clan into becoming playable. The other is that Sylvanas likely doesnā€™t really care about the Stonemaul at the moment, and until things start heating up, Dustwallow works as a meeting place to plan out coup operations.

Loyalty and willingness to help should not be a problem. At the end of the Stonemaul questline in Feralas, we see the Ogres shouting ā€œFor da Horde!ā€ We also know how much the Horde has done for the Stonemaul clan, and that the clan owes A LOT to the Horde. They know what it is like to lose a home, and they donā€™t want to lose their home in the Horde, let alone seeing others lose their home. They have pride in being Horde, and want to help give back in anyway possible.

This of course leads into what to do with the Dunemaul and Gorian Ogres. Honestly, the simplest thing with the Gorian Ogres is to just have them join the Stonemaul clan. Itā€™s easy, explains where they went, and not much else has to be done with them. As for the Dunemaul, if they even make an appearance, Megs can appear at coup meetings and let it be known that she has her Dunemaul to assist the operations. Believe me when I say that I like having multiple Ogre clans in the Horde, but at the very least, the Stonemaul clan fits almost perfectly in the current storyline.

Likely this would mean that playable Ogres, be it as a core or allied race, would consist of the Stonemaul clan. It might work better in the long run, and not make their story too complicated.

Whew, thats enough rambling for now. Iā€™ll have to rethink a few things regarding loose story threads and the Stonemaul clan specifically, if we introduce them as the playable Ogre clan.

Whatever the case, I hope that the Ogres of the Stonemaul clan make an appearance to help any coup or siege attempts. Likely, doing so will help them becoming official Horde members and, with any luck, playable.

3 Likes

So it has been awhile, and posting may soon become a bit sparse thanks to finals preparation. That said, I wanted to type up some loose storyline threads involving the Horde Ogres.

What is the Stonemaul Clan doing currently?

The Stonemaul clan has not really been that active since Cataclysm, and kind of Pandaria. The last we really have heard of them is an emissary, named Orā€™Dac, of their clan being sent to Pandaria. Sadly, this NPC was just a jobber for an Alliance quest, I think a daily, so what he was up to there isā€¦unknown really.

The Stonemaul Clan in Feralas, at the end of their questline, is said by Orhan Ogreblade to just be mustering up Horde forces to help defend Horde territory against the Alliance. If the Gordunni have completely left Dire Maul, according to the Traveler book series, then likely anyone there would be having skirmishes against the Alliance and whatever Gordunni are still in Feralas. Now, I donā€™t know the timing of the Traveler books, but the other questline occurred during Cataclysm, so what is going on now needs to be addressed.

This leads us to Dustwallow Marsh. At the end of the questline involving the Stonemaul, we destroy most of Onyxiaā€™s eggs, kill off a lot of the dragonkin mobs, and after running off the corrupt warchief, the Stonemaul clan can finallyā€¦ummā€¦errā€¦sit in their makeshift village and continue wanting their own village backā€¦

This to me is one of the biggest loose threads. Just why havenā€™t they gone back to the Stonemaul ruins and taken it back? If I were to answer this question, Iā€™d have it where there are constant battles between the dragonkin mobs and the Stonemaul clan, leading to a stalemate, with the dragonkin raids becoming more numerous and more powerful. Likely, they might be on their own here since the Horde has been very busy.

I mean, we dealt with Garroshā€™s shenanigans on Pandaria, had to fight off the Iron Horde in WoD, then had to fight off a whole legion of demons inā€¦errā€¦Legion. Now we got into a huge war with the Alliance, lost Undercity, and now itā€™s looking like a coup may occur in the very near future. And yet, the Stonemaul Clan donā€™t appear.

So I just scratch my head in thinking about what exactly theyā€™re doing during all this time. Considering how much they owe the Horde, youā€™d think someone would remember them and ask them to pull out of Feralas and spare who they could in Dustwallow to help against the Legion. They were working with the Alliance during this time period, for that matter, and the worldā€™s fate was at stake. Multiple times, even.

Did any of Onyxiaā€™s eggs survive?

During the Dustwallow questline, although we destroy a bunch of eggs, and if I recall correctly, it was implied that not all the eggs were destroyed. After all, the quest asks us to destroy a small handful of eggs. I would be surprised if some of the eggs did not get taken and hidden away to safely raise elsewhere. This storyline could be used as a reason why the Stonemaul have not been able to reclaim their home.

What happened to Mokā€™Morokk?

At the end of the Stonemaul Clan Dustwallow questline, we run off Mokā€™Morokk. Not kill, but run off. We have not heard from him since. If I were to guess, he may have ran off to rather off his own clan, of whatever creatures he could beat up, and get some form of power again. I donā€™t see him joining the dragonkin mobs, and I would hope he wouldnā€™t just join them as that wouldnā€™t make for good writing. His whereabouts should be addressed and taken care of.

What is Megs Dreadshredder doing with the Dunemaul?

At the end of the Dunemaul questline in Tanaris, Megs is sending the Dunemaul clan off to ā€œhelp the Horde.ā€ Whether this is actually helping the Horde or herself can be very much debated, but since thenā€¦we havenā€™t really seen what happened to the Dunemaul. In fact, I donā€™t think Megs has done very much since then either, and that was also during Cataclysm.

Another thing to note is that during the Legion invasions, if one occured in Tanaris, the Dunemaul would get enslaved, granted the player character could rescue some of them. Honestly, I donā€™t really view this as canon, and even if it was, it doesnā€™t explain what it is they were sent off to do. Addressing this storyline would be best done involving the Stonemaul clan, as it helps add some flavor to playable Ogres of some sort.

What happened to the AU Draenor Ogres that came with the Magā€™Har Orcs?

We know a group of them came with the Magā€™Har Orcs, and as Iā€™ve mentioned before, they havenā€™t really made any appearance of any sort during BfA. Even if it shows that only a few Ogres came, only a small group of the Magā€™Har was shown in their unlock questline, and theres enough of the Magā€™Har to adventure and control a lot of creatures from Draenor in the fight against the Alliance.

Because of that, it can be assumed that a reasonable amount did come, and I doubt they just waddled off to make their own huts or caves to just survive in the wilderness and to have whatever meager power they would have on their own. The best case scenario is to either have them form their own Gorian clan and be a part of the Horde, or just simply outright join the Stonemaul clan and still be a part of the Horde.

Whew, that was quite a bit of typing. That is all the loose threads I can think of right now. If I remember anything in particular, I will be sure to post it here.

That said, itā€™d be easy to tie these loose ends together when making Ogres playable, and could make for a great storyline if done properly. ^^

4 Likes

Iā€™m Alliance but i need Ogres for the Horde please Blizzardā€¦ Ogres Core race and Mokā€™nathal Allied race :). Iā€™m still waiting for the ogres pls!

5 Likes

I like that idea. Ogres as a core race and the Mokā€™nathal as their allied race variant. Best of both worlds for those that want them, and they wouldnā€™t cancel each other out. ^^

2 Likes

So a bit of a flawed idea, but previously I mentioned the idea of a march in Orgimmar as part of an Ogre event I was considering doing in July. Itā€™s far from perfect, and I wouldnā€™t expect a huge turnout, but I figured I would type out what I had thought of.

I had the idea of a ā€œStonemaul Clan Marchā€ in Orgimmar, where I would have a character that would act as an Ogre member of the Stonemaul Clan, announcing a march around the city while stating what all the Stonemaul had gone through and how they want to become full members of the Horde in order to repay their debt back to the Horde during the march.

Said march would involve about two laps through Orgimmar, where people would use Ogre illusion items and such to pretend to be Stonemaul Ogres while anyone else can just join in the march as themselves to show support. A small group of Ogre fans can start it and anyone interested in marching can join in at any point. This idea came from when I was in Orgimmar, and someone started a conga line march of people on the mammoth mount. It actually ended up being a long line and lasted quite a bit as they marched in Orgimmar.

The march would likely end in front of Grommash Hold, where the warchief resides in Orgimmar, and I did had the idea of ending off with an in-character pleading for the Stonemaul clan to officially be recognized as full members of the Horde and to assist the Horde with current events. Itā€™s not like Sylvanas would just get irritated and blight us, but I figured it would be a fun way to end off the march.

Of course, one of the problems is that Ogre illusion items are limited in availability, aside from the Korvork illusion toy, and even then, they likely wouldnā€™t last the whole event. Plus, it might be confusing to see an Orc character acting like hes a Stonemaul Ogre.

Furthermore, I donā€™t want to be disruptive to the area. Shouting in-character Stonemaul clan related stuff would be occasional during the march, so as to not spam the chat. Also, Iā€™d want the event to be both fun and be seen as a request for playable Ogres, which is a different posture of demanding Ogres to be playable.

As stated before, it is far from perfect and I wouldnā€™t expect a huge turnout for such an event. Likely, it could confuse those in the area as we engage in it. Iā€™m open to suggestions and feedback to anyone that might be interested in organizing such an event, as well as completely different ideas for an Ogre-themed event or party similar to the Vulperaā€™s Foxtober event.

It remains to be seen if an Ogre event will actually happen. Right now, Iā€™m just wanting to float the idea out and think up ideas in general, but for those interested, I would like to hear ideas and such. ^^

100%

I donā€™t know all the tunes yet. But hasnā€™t been Thrall been chilling with his OG Frost Wolves in Alter Draenor? He could easily bring them into the fold.

2 Likes

AU Draenor was, within lore, closed off after the events of WoD. It was reopened during the unlock questline for the Magā€™Har allied race, and then was closed off afterwards.

The Frostwolf clan in AU are just Magā€™har Orcs, who are officially part of the Horde and playable now, while the Frostwolf clan in WoWā€™s timeline are regular, green Orcs that serve as the Horde PvP faction in Alterac, from what I remember.

What Thrall has been up to, to my knowledge, hasnā€™t really been explained much. As far as I know, he went home to be a family man. We might find out more in 8.2, since rumors of the Horde forming a coup against Sylvanas have been getting stronger.

There is the Mokā€™nathal clan in Outland, who consist of races other than Half-Ogre races, but they havenā€™t done a lot since they were introduced, if I recall correctly.

A march?
It was good for vulperas and sethraks!
And it can help ogres in particular for the people of Horde to suggest ogres as options for the player!

2 Likes

Was there a player event for Sethrak? I know of the Foxtober event for Vulpera, but I donā€™t recall hearing about one for the Sethrak specifically.