Maybe Time to Settle Down, Tanks

Citation needed. Link or gtfo. Also, post on your Classic char.

My take on mining, skinning (and I suppose herbalism) is to check profs first at the start of the dungeon; If you have engineering or blacksmithing then you should get priority over someone who’s double gathering or running with enchanting since you have a relevent need for it.

After that, I’d probably pass on the first node and then take the second (assuming there is one) and then if theres a third then whoever has double gathering can go for it.

All of this assumes of course that (for me personally) the nodes in question still yield relevent ore; I’m past the point where copper or tin have any real value to me afterall.

I haven’t read through this thread, but I wanted to mention a couple of things:

A) You never know what someone has been through. Maybe these tanks had just come out of several pugs that were horrible and the smallest perceived slight set them off.

B) Self import is human nature. Let’s be honest here: an MMO is a breeding ground for people who have lower than normal social skills…it attracts people like that, so it’s no shock that a lot of people can’t handle (in a normal way) being needed more than others and it shows.

The bottom line is that you cannot control other people, so why worry about what other people do?

2 Likes

Self important clowns like that won’t make it very far in this game, regardless of what role they play. I would rather spend an extra 30 minutes finding a great tank than to deal with that.

Another one that bugs me is the guy that goes “hurry” or “pull, pull”. We had an sp in ZF that did that a few days ago, of course he was doing a whopping 15% of the damage, dead last. I have an idea if you want faster pulls how about helping kill the mobs instead of typing and leeching off the real dps.

4 Likes

I suppose the other end of things is that We’re at different points on the map from a level perspective; I’m currently 31 on Blood Sail Buccaneers so I haven’t seen what end game looks like just yet.

As a casual suggestion, you might want to consider leveling a tank. Back in wrath I did it so that I could have a more complete understanding of dungeons, group dynamics, tanking and also my original DPS toons (a hunter and a ret pally). It might be worth your time to try it yourself.

1 Like

Also, when it’s prime time on your server, do a /who 60 warrior. If there are more than 50, start breaking it down by zone to count them all using filters like z-“Stormwind” and r-“human”. You can put multiple filters in one command for something like /who z-“Ironforge” r-“Human” c-“Warrior” 60. This is part of why they broke the functionality of the /who API for addons because it made it too easy to get almost exact counts of the number of players online.

No.

1 Like

You’re completely right and I was still kinda in shock when I posted this because we had just had two ridiculous experiences (though I got my dagger I wanted and some sweet shoulders), but I just came in here to rile some tanks up. Got a couple wackadoo responses so it was worth it imo.

1 Like

I got kicked from a group while tanking yesterday, because I pulled a single mob while the healer was drinking. I took virtually no damage but he went nuts.

3 Likes

I mean I almost never pug and I still get constant whisper spam with “can you tank this UBRS?” “We need a tank scholo, you interested?” And so on. Never mind I can just throw “I feel like an orb farm who’s up for strat live?” In g chat and have a group in minutes.

So yeah, I’m going to be picky about my dungeon runs and if you don’t play by my rules I’ll find a group who will.

1 Like

ya healers can get the self-importance disease also…

dps in raids that top the meters…

oh wait… its everyone

Also, Just so people don’t think I’m a pitiless machine as a tank: before I head out to the dungeon I check to make sure the party has food/water and if they don’t I grab some from town or hand them some of he food I cooked (literally gave away a stack of goblin deviled clams at the start of a dungeon; 4 per person), hand out sharpening stones for melee folks, routinely stop and tell the party to drink so they don’t oom if a pull goes sideways (I’ve even gotten into the habit of telling people to craft a macro for OOM so that other less observant tanks can be made aware), give away mana potions as they drop, hand off greens/whites that are clear upgrades for people, scout gear ahead of time on WoWwiki so I have an idea of what drops and who would benefit most from it…

I expect a certain standard from my party but I for damn sure take care of them.

Because i’m a tank and that’s my job.

1 Like

Kid you not, just tonight there was a group in LFG offering 20g for someone to tank UD strath for them

You know things are bad when people are actually now paying tanks to do a dungeon that the tank probably will still only say yes to if the tank is also after something from that dungeon

Unless I’m mistaken, being picky doesn’t mean having an episode in front of four complete strangers because they slightly strayed from your normal routine. That just sounds kinda aspergery to me.

I am a tank and have been since 2005. Played the same character for a long time. Yes, a lot of tanks can be a$$holes, but I try to make a dungeon run as smooth and enjoyable as possible for all party members. Whether it be a pug or a guild run.

Even if the group has numerous miss queues or wipes a few times. I don’t care too much. As long as we finish in a somewhat timely fashion. Only issue I have is on pulls that require minimal CC and I am tanking 5+ targets. DPS not giving me allotted time to gain threat on all mobs. Yeah, if one gets pulled, I can live with that. But I am a stickler for my tanking skills and if I can’t get at least a good 5 seconds to get sunders on core mobs and some battle and demo shouts up…Kinda ruins my mood a bit.

I don’t want to blow my own horn, as I am pretty modest on my ability. I am not perfect and so make some mistakes from time to time, but I have a friends list with at least 7-8 different healers and about 10 DPS I have partied with since Zul’Farak. Plus I get random whispers from people in those guilds to tank for them. I usually do if I am not too busy at the moment. I don’t mind that one bit. If a group looking for a tank needs one and I am available I will jump on the chance to give them a good dungeon run.

Only time my feathers get ruffled is for the reason stated above. AoE tanking takes a little bit longer in retail and a hand full of seconds is all I need. If that gets ignored multiple times. They I will say something. If it continues. I just stop taking said mobs and let the DPS who pulled tank it. Higher level dungeons, it can be harder too. As abilities can be resisted and miss a lot. Why I think it imperative to allow tank time to get threat on multiple targets. That is my only issue.

My rule in a dungeon about BoE Blues/Purples. Everyone Need. I state this before the dungeon starts. Just to alleviate any possibility of a ninja. Unless it is a Pre-Raid BIS item for said class that can actually use it. Which then they need to equip it then and there and allow us to see that he/she has done so.

Entitled tanks will always be a thing. Especially in Classic. Kinda just gotta take it for what it’s worth and pray you get one that is modest/humble and willing to just be there to be there.

1 Like

Good lord your server sounds messed up; About the only time I’d charge would be if I was running lowbies through something I despised like Wailing caverns or (if they were super special needs) Deadmines (not because it’s bad, but because I’m horde and theres no way you can convince me it’s worth my time to head out there with a handful of level 17’s).

I have tanked a few dungeons for gold. Mostly ones I don’t really want to do as the gold is nice to have. If it is a dungeon I plan on doing however. I usually tell them to keep their money.

1 Like

Imagine getting killed 3 times by horde trying to making into the dungeon and then you get into this group where the DPS want to start pulling mobs on their own and complain when you don’t taunt off them. There is 10 groups LF a tank in chat at any given time. Why should I stay and put up with impatient spergs? When you get into multiple un cooperative groups in a row your nerves are shot.

4 Likes

There are two types of people who play tanks. The first kind are those who actually enjoy tanking. The others are miserable people, who hate tanking, but need to fill the void in their life by being “important” in a video game.

2 Likes

Exactly. They had to wait so long for a group because most people in this game refuse to tank as it has far more responsibility and slow levelling and yet they want to go go go. No common sense. The OP actually said he came here just to get tanks riled up which is pretty much the definition of trolling. I imagine tanking a group for someone like that is about as much fun as using sandpaper on a slip and slide.

2 Likes

I’m starting to see that in just this thread alone. Lots of stable level headed replies from tanks and a few really kinda sad replies from tanks.

1 Like