Mathias Shaw is gay for Flynn Fairwind?

Does Flynn bust Shaws cheeks in the book?

1 Like

You mean actual snu snu?

No they hug once shaw is outa prison. And shaw asks flynn to meat him at a bar later for drinks and to talk. And gives him a ring made of grass.

1 Like

Does Shaw get his cheeks busted in prison? A ring made of grass? Does shaw think Flynn is a 3rd grade girl or what?

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter what I think, they wanted to make them a thing so they did it subtly.

Yes its canon. /thread

1 Like

In prison shaw starts to go insane alone in his cell and talking to hallucinations of flynn.

He thinks back to his lesbian grandma having a red string ring on her finger. He asks about it and she slaps him. The ring is suppose to symbolize forbidden gay relationships.

The guards hear shaw going crazy so they give him a piece of grass since hes talking about his vacation home surrounded by tall grass.

The two men get drunk and talked about their deceased mothers in the book.

Well shaw is thinking about his vacation home. He thinks he needs a friend. But he had a friend it was flynn. So he thinks about flynn saving him twice before and how flynn smells. So he thinks maybe flynn could be more.

Keep in mind shaw starts to lose his mind. Flynn is drunk 90% of the book and the other 10% hes dehydrated, starved, sleep deprived and running from zandalari to tell the alliance that shaw was captured.

2 Likes

Thanks for all that. Does it say anything about Flynn and Taelia? Questing made it seem like they would end up together.

Nope taelia is not mentioned or in the book at all.

The meeting of taelia and anduin kinda sets them up. At the end of the kul tiris campaign.

So any dock in a storm

I see what you did here.

There is a random pair of zandalari lady trolls getting married in the book does that count?

Some scattered nelf lesbians exist in wow as well. Given the way nelf society works i bet alot of the ladybnelfs are lesbians or bi.

They actually introduced their flirting right after Siege of Org 2.0

2 Likes

Not really since they are nobodies. I’m talking about a real character.

Be fair. The Lor’themar and Thalyssra thing at LEAST has shown up in game. They work with each other all over the place. They have multiple conversations and not JUST about the immediate business at hand. They literally are standing together in the game, side by side at the same campfire. You can easily imagine them getting to know each other better.

On the other side, Shaw and Flynn have NONE of that! This is not a case of heterosexual versus homosexual… These characters are about THIIIIIIS close to not even knowing each other in game but all of a sudden they’re a couple. Out of nowhere (at least in game). The problem isn’t with them being gay, the problem is with the presentation.

3 Likes

Can we not?

1 Like

I think its because romance doesn’t drive the main story so its not gonna get alot of attention.

I like all the minor rogue characters they’ve managed to keep relevant. I can’t speak for the Horde but the Alliance didn’t throw away the stories they told in our class hall following the end of Legion. Shaw has been my favorite character, and recently this expansion Flynn was a welcome addition. I’m not sure I care what the sexuality of an NPC is though.

It’d be one thing if there wasn’t this wave of pandering and “counter culture” going on both ingame and out and they just happened to be gay. But when it’s routine for big corporations to do things like this for public relations sake, I just roll my eyes. I don’t read the books out of game so this fantasy romance going on behind the scenes is news to me.

I still like these characters and it doesn’t really take away from them at all. If they stay true to his personality then Shaw will remain subtle about the whole situation and they’ll keep it in the books. If they make a big blue post about it, similar to the one they made praising themselves for making a transgender NPC in SL, then they’re hurting the character and I’d rather not see that.

2 Likes

https://www.wowhead.com/news=316937/nobbel87-lore-interview-with-shadows-rising-author-madeleine-roux

Roux confirmed that this narrative decision was one of the plot points that came from straight from the top at Blizzard. It’s not a “wink wink nudge nudge thing”–she was told to get them together. It’s official!

I completely agree.

1 Like

Right so blizz says we need to pander make it so. Which they could do but if it had been done slower over time more naturally it wouldn’t come off as forced.

1 Like