Mass reporting carries in chat

From my experience in reading the CS forum, an account will only receive an actual ‘ban’ for extremely egregious violations (botting, extreme language, etc)…just spamming an advertisement for a carry is likely just going to get you silenced because many players seem to be sick of reading it in chat.

Everything you linked is referring to a BAN which is not automated. The silencing of an account is an automated process.

I refuse to differentiate a ban and a silence. They’re effectively the same thing that make playing the game almost impossible outside of guild raids and world quests.

The inability to use LFG is ultimately a ban for a good chunk of the population who isn’t into role playing in maldraxxus.

This is why I wanted to avoid semantics. You and I can agree to disagree on definitions of the word ‘ban’ and that’s ok. I’m just trying to help with understanding how the system works.

Wrong again. You must have missed this link.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

2 Likes

This. A silence is NOT AUTOMATED. Please stop.

No - there is no set time limit. Blizzard has gone over this quite a bit on the Customer Support forums in the past.

Spamming is determined by what your community feels is appropriate. Just because the system LETS you post once a minute does not mean you SHOULD do that.

The Blues have explained many times that if your server thinks your messages are frequent enough to constitute spam, the mods will uphold that.

Here is one quick example

2 Likes

No, it is not.

• Squelch is automated and requires a lot of unique accounts to report a person. That was originally designed for gold seller spam, but works for other spam too. A GM will then review and decide what to do next - lift the squelch or apply a penalty.

• Silence is an actual penalty applied by a GM. It is a black mark on the account and additional silences will double in duration each time you get one.

• Suspension is removal from game totally for a set period of time. This can be done for chat violations too.

• Ban means permanently closed. I realize people do tend to use ban and suspension interchangeably as common lingo.

In your case you got an email with your penalty because a GM applied it and sent you the email template. It was not automatic.

EDIT

Here is a Customer Support Forum Agent explaining it a bit as well.

2 Likes

Perhaps give this a read?

You can still play the game. You aren’t “banned”.

1 Like

I’d love for a GM to share insight as to why nearly every person who has been advertising in trade chat this morning has received a warning and/or account silence when doing it for their guilds.

Either GMs are essentially bots just swiping right on tinder or it is automated. On the other hand they may also misunderstand the intent of the community ban which would be even more tragic.

While that article was pretty fantastic back in 2016, it is a news release and is out of date.

Since then the Silence system has changed to be a bit more limiting. Apparently it was not having the impact in curbing the behavior so Blizz restricted it a bit more.

Here is the current Support article on it with the limits.

Thank you, Ill update my post.

I do implore you to visit Mal’Ganis trade chat at the current time. Filled with instant spam the moment a stray person posts an advertisement about “GET HIM” and “MASS REPORT” lolo

So? Like I said earlier, bad judgement is not Blizzard’s problem. The advertisers should know better.

Based on what? He seems fine to me, if he’s representing things correctly.

While they are not GMs, and are not going to be able to overturn anything, the Forum Support Representatives on the Customer Support forum serve as an Information Desk to explain policies.

They may have some insight to offer you. Generally speaking, if your server feels a message is spam, the GMs side with the larger server customer base.

You can of course appeal.

Right click and report for spam. Spamming to tell others to report every little bit is just as disruptive as spamming advertising. BOTH are annoying.

1 Like

The thing is I was not silenced for spam. I was silenced for “language” which I believe is a different category of reporting since spam is an option as well.

That means you said something else and got a week for it. Is your appeal in?

It is the same thing in the template I THINK? One of those two blue posts I linked goes over it I think.

Spam is a form of abusing the chat system is how I think they intend it. Of course there are also lots of other really bad language violations that fall under that category too.

Or that’s how people are reporting in trade chat because that’s the only option that fits and sounds more severe than “spam”?

Would you report someone for spam who posted an advertisement once? Sounds like you’re just a bad troll m8

I’m a troll now because I won’t pat you on the back and say “it’s okay”. We are obviously not getting the full story and I’m sorry, you haven’t shown any reason why I should believe you. Calling me a troll just cinches it.

1 Like