Man'ari Questline *Spoilers*

Yep, pretty much the same argument against class unlocks for the rest of the races.

I see a lot of people who seem to only be able to enjoy the game if it’s frozen in time and never changes… I don’t get that.

7 Likes

How one chooses to RP really is going to matter. Obviously how and why they were in the Legion matters, what they did might matter less so. After all, once in, it seems most were under either heavy compulsion/coercion and there simply wasn’t much of a way out given Kil’Jaeden’s fanatical dedication.

Many on Argus were likely say young, with very little real wisdom. Faced with the choice of willingly joining or likely being tortured into it anyway, or simply killed horrifically, most are not going to choose to die. Even Velen admits he left many behind, including a wife and son at least. These people had very difficult choices to make, save themselves or make a likely irrelevant stand on principle… even without knowing really what they were standing against because it seems much of the Legions greater goals were revealed only ONCE you were in.

As for actions done in the Legions service, well if one was never really willing, who knows? Maybe your character just became catatonic or robotic, just compartmentalizing ones mind away to get on and get by until some way out that seemed plausible presented itself. Until Kil’'Jaeden was dead, defection was likely not as feasible.

As for “BUT GENOCIDE!” well, one can play as an Orc; a race that has done at least two attempted ones. Never really made amends with the people they tried to kill off and are even to this day still unrepentant at war and hostile to both Draenei and Humans, despite the later having the option after the 2nd War to just wipe Orcs out forever and electing not to, and even that continues to enrage Orc kind to this day that the Humans put them in some holding camps rather than just annihilate the green alien invaders who had worshiped Space Satan. Nobody seems perturbed by that.

At the very least the Eredar can claim ignorance and severe coercion. The Eredar were the first major race brought into the Legion fold, and were not even aware of other worlds for sure and the Legion at the time didn’t really exist as a known entity.

But ultimately it depends, is ones Eredar now free of Kil’Jaeden and Sargerus and seeking to run as far and fast from the Legion as possible? Or is one simply just a demon warlord seeking power and continuing? I’d say if you RP the former you can likely be fine, there are a lot to explore, even perhaps bitterness. After all Velen didn’t have room on the ship for you, you were left behind and forced to make an impossible choice. If you are RPing as still evil AF and totally dedicated to the cause, well that might mean you shouldn’t go to Stormwind.

5 Likes

I think the questline could have been handled better.

Like, it would be interesting to meet a group of Man’ari made of refugees that over time fdefected the legion and were living in secret, hidden, which to be fair was implied at one point in the questline. We could meet more examples of those Man’ari helping, and even maybe plan some seeds that some are not genuine but are just switching to the winning side out of convenience.

With that being said, I think the development was cool, and I think the end result is a good thing and could lead to interesting plot devices in the lore. But the questline itself felt rushed at best.

3 Likes

I like this view.

Personally, if I was tasked with adding the Man’ari to the game I’d have them as a third party, like how the pandarans are.

I probably have the player man’ari be prisoners and have an account-based quest chain to unlock them by having the players participate in a prison break after learning about the prisoners.

Then when the players make their Man’ari they end up running a prison breakout situation that involves them being helped by the Alliance and Horde forces in various ways all while exposing the player to the Alliance and Horde ideals and even their leaders’ reasons for helping in the breakout. At the end they’d be given the chance to join either faction.

In my opinion this would serve to help break up the race = faction situation we are currently stuck with without disrupting the existing faction/races too much.

3 Likes

I suspect if such refugee’s or hidden defector enclaves exists they are likely incredibly isolated and well hidden. The Draenei themselves had to flee to many worlds to evade Kil’jaeden. I doubt these defectors could hold out on Argus. Even the Krokul were few.

I think Arzeel hints that he might know where in the vast cosmos these Eredar are though.

It’s an idea, but I get why Man’ari go Alliance, after all Draenei, the Eredar, they are in the end the same people.

Velen is their only ticket out of being Demon spawn monsters.

I can see where that’s the view, but for me he’s just a religious zealot whose price is always going to be loyalty to the Light/Naaru.

To me that’d be akin to going from a frying pan into a stew pot. Yeah, it’ll nicer for a time, but the end goal is still you serve an undying master and must obey.

If people chose to worship the Light/Naaru that’s fine with me, but time and again the lore has shown that the Light/Naaru aren’t ok with it being a choice.

1 Like

Play what you want to play and enjoy what you want to enjoy but I think you can see why some people have issues with this recent development.

This is completely new territory and they chose the deep end instead of easing into it with the likes of the fel blood, san’layn, fel orc or leper gnome.

The man’ari are incomparable to any race in the game as far as their evil meter goes. This means that there is definitely a shift from Blizzard’s stance in BFA when Ion said the blood trolls were too evil to be an allied race.

I am pretty shocked about this but not in a bad way, this opens up all sorts of possibilities when it comes to what is playable.

11 Likes

I hear some roleplayers are using it as an excuse to go full stupid though. Straight up conducting mock lynchings and the like. Kinda gross and not really conducive to proper roleplay if they’re just forcing this on people who want to play them.

2 Likes

That’s just evil and probably them living out fantasies they are afraid to attempt in real life.

I’m basing this on the accounts of others but apparently that’s exactly what it is in some other cases. Like people doing Scarlet RP are just using it as an excuse to be racist in character.

2 Likes

I’d say I’m surprised, but I’m not.

In my experience haters will jump at any excuse to spread their hate.

1 Like

I hear some roleplayers are using it as an excuse to go full stupid though. Straight up conducting mock lynchings and the like. Kinda gross and not really conducive to proper roleplay if they’re just forcing this on people who want to play them.

In this respect actual Draenei I think might be more willing an accepting than other races on Azeroth. After all, for some of these Draenei in Exodar, some of these Man’ari might be family. Velen’s wife could still be out there, these Eradar are kin and a long lived race that is exceptionally wise might be more able to manage the reintegration of their long lost kin than Humans would handle the Eradar.

For IC reasons I think more returning Eradar would be in the Exodar than in Stormwind, but obviously Exodar isn’t an RP hub sad to say.

Thinking on it this morning I could see Man’ari being Batman-esque martial pacifists to their allies. Willing to do good but they’re not going to just sit there and take people trying to kill them out of some masochistic sense of penance. They use the minimal force required to disable them and move on.

It really is unacceptable for people to compare man’ari to any real life race. There’s nothing even remotely comparable to man’ari in real life.

Man’ari should absolutely be hated for what they’ve done and that should come out in RP, but doing things like lynching or other connections to real life are abhorrent.

2 Likes

Why would the Horde accept them after everything they did?

I mean it is unlikely that either group would accept them.

But the Horde has always been open to taking in groups which have made horrible mistakes and done horrible things. People who claim they didn’t have a choice, people tricked, and people who are just blatantly bad. We have had to come to terms with working under a Warchief, twice, who was genocidal.

Meanwhile the Alliance not only doesn’t do this… the race accepting them was the race which was genocided. It would be like the humans, after the Second War, accepting the Orcs as straight members of the Alliance. Or the Orcs, after being locked in camps, telling all the Human kingdoms to join the Horde.

Except multiplied many times because they destroyed an entire galaxy. Take the worst thing on Azeroth, make it successful instead of unsuccessful, and multiply it across every planet in the galaxy.

Eredar are fun to play but it should be hard to find a home. Horde is the only one I can think that would accept them, not least because Stormwind is ruled by a leader of the Army of Light. And Velen had to kill his Man’ari son.

2 Likes

The Krokuul currently on Argus are the ones who first allied with the Man’ari. The ones who stayed on Argus and were driven underground, made into slaves, used to power Fel engines. And yet, because the Man’ari that have broken off are working to retake Argus with them, the Krokuul have made an Alliance with them. It is because Hatuun trusts the Man’ari that Velen has considered beginning the talks.

So basically I read this post as seething that Horde didn’t get Eredar.

I’m not seething, I just think it makes less sense.

I think it makes more sense for Alliance to get them, because they already have Draenei and will be getting Krokuul soon too, probably.

Everyone on this forum 24/7: alliance is sooooo boring and has no tension among its members everyone gets along toooooo well and there’s just no interesting tenssssiioooon
Blizzard: Ok, here’s some controversy :slight_smile:
Everyone: NO NO NOT LIKE THAT NOT THE HECKIN GENOCIDE DOERS!