Man'ari Questline *Spoilers*

Just did it. It was pretty short, but gave me hope for the future of the Man’ari. I like how Velen brought up the Death Kngihts and Illidari and compared them to repentant Man’ari, proving stronger than their darkness.

Also, I kept hearing earlier that we lost the ability to go back to Argus after Legion, but this quest chain throws that out the window.

6 Likes

Well. Death Knights didn’t have a choice in what they became, and the Illidari did what they did for their people.

Man’ari eredar were all about galactic extermination until they lost. I’m pretty sure that somewhere in the past 30,000 years or so the opportunity to defect probably presented itself :thinking:

11 Likes

How does one start it? I didn’t see anything like with the Baine quest or is it an Alliance or Draenei only quest chain?

For the alliance, the NPC is standing in front of the Stormwind Keep. The game of course doesn’t tell you that. Which is annoying thing blizz does lately with quests

4 Likes

Talk to Knight-Captain Dranarus in the Valley of Honor if you’re Horde, or Virtos by Stormwind Keep if you’re Alliance.

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining.

2 Likes

Yeah, and I liked Velen bringing up Ebon Blade death Knights who are hardly mentioned in the story.

The quest explains that Kil’jaeden could see doubt in his people’s minds, and doubt meant death. So it was very hard. The quest chain also talks about how Aral’zal, a defector, was helped by the Krokuul.

3 Likes

Probably not. As Arzaal says, Kil’jaedin had a way of seeing into people’s minds. Doubters were executed, and their souls probably tortured. Which doesn’t feel very Kil’jaedin to me, since Kil’jaedin was more likely to carry out loyalty tests than straight up executions. Maybe he did some decimation instead? He gave Illidan a chance to redeem himself.

And some others probably saw what they were doing as righteous, and saw Sargeras as the only one willing to fulfill promises.

Also, you should be happy to know that this quest suggests that Krokuul are joining along with the former Man’ari.

9 Likes

What does the Horde get for completing the quest?

I always chalked that up to Kil’jaedan just being desperate to see his creation, the Lich King, destroyed at all costs. I don’t think he would have given Illidan as many chances as he did otherwise

5 Likes

I think they just get the toy that turns you into a Man’ari for a hour. It has a 2 hr cooldown

But that’s the thing though, Kil’jaedin is much more likely to still use pawns that are still useful. If he could put doubters to work for him, it seems more in character to me for a sorcerer named Deceiver to coerce people in much more effective ways. But as I said, maybe Kil’jaedin did find use in the doubters by carrying out classic decimation, in which Legions would beat a tenth of their men to death to prove loyalty and thin chaff. Maybe he found more use out of them that way.

1 Like

I mean, it’s nice to know the lads on Argus are finally getting moved off world, but the draenei have had broken ones in their ranks since TBC. They’ve just been repeatedly passed over for prettier things.

Actually thinking of moving Kaioon to Lightforged Draenei, I dont know. From a RP prospective that seems a moderate responce. Can’t imagine many draenei being super OKay with this

7 Likes

I think the implication is that most Draenei will not be okay with this. In the future we might get some varying opinions on the matter and whether or not people will find it within themselves to forgive the unforgiveable.

The quest chain does not end with a “we’re all buddies now” sort of ending. Arzaal acknowledges that he won’t be able to be forgiven, and it’s likely that any returning Man’ari know this as well, but they’re still willing to try despite the suspicion.

7 Likes

They should have learned Velen’s lessons of forgiveness by now or should learn it soon. And hopefully there’s more development with this.

Are they planning on just integrating with the normal Draenei, or will they be forming their own little enclaves?

As a Forsaken main, I’m not going to be a hypocrite and claim they shouldn’t be allowed to attempt to reintegrate if that’s what they want, but I’m curious if Blizzard would treat such a thing with the nuance it would require.

The Alliance is right to mistrust the Forsaken—the Universe is right to mistrust the Man’ari Eredar.

11 Likes

Thing is, this questline is incredibly short and it ends with Velen saying “I need to think.” and iirc correctly, Aral’zal (he change his name back to his Eredar name, but I don’t remember it) going “I want to find more defectors” or something like that. Basically, nothing happened yet.

Didn’t see this skybox anywhere.

Here’s the wowhead article on the quest chain and I have to admit that seeing Hatuun again, the reveal that he and his people are slowly retaking Argus, and Velen’s offer to reunite their people… make me wonder if playable Broken are being seeding here.

14 Likes

I didn’t mind it, one thing that stood out to me was Velen’s reaction being leveraged by someone who clearly hasn’t forgiven him in turn. It was short, I also appreciated that there is no actual forgiveness, just a chance to maybe undo the harm the renegade man’ari did. It builds on prior lore (albeit outliers) as far back as TBC with Legion defectors, and certainly it fits well enough with other previously villainous groups.

One aspect that I’d still like to see touched on is if there are man’ari who are second or third generation Legion and also defected.

11 Likes

Was there not? The achievement mentioned “unexpected penitence.” And some defectors are now back with the Draenei.

1 Like