Man'ari Questline *Spoilers*

I’m not sure if there’s an official ‘blue’ response to this question, but my understanding is that Demon Hunters consume a demon’s soul through ritualistic means and use it’s power for their abilities. They don’t become fully demonic unless they’ve lost control of said demonic soul and it overtakes their body. They’re kind’ve like a walking demon prison, or a mortal body with a fel battery?

Whereas Man’ari have been ‘uplifted’ by Sargeras and transformed into fully fledged demons entirely.

1 Like

I figured they were going with a more literal visual idea. It doesn’t matter what the game says about your character on the inside if your demon hunter still looks like a corrupted elf at best, whereas manari are a more stereotypical “red hoofed demon” look.

They have demonic souls meaning when they die they go to the twisting nether. Meaning eventually they’ll reform there.

Except the quest where you can’t die because your immortal demon soul unless you’re slain in the Twisting Nether like other demons.

Yeah, those are fair points but I’m unsure if that’s because of the demonic soul that they consumed through ritual means? Technically, they have two souls inside one body, no?

Thinking about it further, I guess I take issue with people saying we shouldn’t be allowed to RP in certain areas because they or someone else doesn’t like said addition to the game.

I’ve seen some arguments over it on Moonguard. It’s kind of a weird mindset to have about other players time and fun in game

4 Likes

I’ve always found trying to purity test MMO RP hubs to be very silly and counterproductive to the main aim of public RP to begin with.

RP can be a very, very dull hobby, or it can make time fly like nothing else. I much prefer people’s outlet for that be character-driven conflict over chasing virtual tail 24/7.

3 Likes

As far as RP goes I’ve seen people stick surprisingly close to the repentant angle that Arzaal laid down in the quest. RPers love their edgy, conflict driven characters and all of the Man’ari in SW I saw on Tuesday were playing that angle of repentant demons. I don’t expect it will last very long and the openly chaotic, antagonistic demons will be hanging out with the Vampyr, but whatever.

4 Likes

I’ve seen RPers defend gnolls, naga supporters, cultists and vampires but for some the repentant man’ari is where some people are drawing the line

I just don’t get it personally

3 Likes

Probably, yeah. I haven’t poked my nose around too much as of yet, but I did see someone who deliberately caused trouble to try to sabotage the repentant Man’ari in protest. Kind of a fun approach if you want to go that angle. All things considered Arzaal laid down a nice smokescreen for evil Man’ari to stir the pot in the RP-verse.

3 Likes

I fell out of RP back in Legion, but if I ever get back into it no one would really like my Man’ari. Neither of them (a Warlock and a “paladin”) are repentant in slightest. They only joined the Council of the Black Harvest as a matter of self-preservation.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think that’s a fun route to go down. I feel like the majority of Man’ari would be putting on puppy dog eyes right now, realistically. It’s an opportunity for great storytelling if Blizzard takes it.

3 Likes

Personally, I think the number of repentant Man’ari are in the minority. Unless we’re shown something different in the future, I think the vast majority of Man’ari are either fanatically devoted to Sargaras and will fight to the death in his name… or are only pretending to accept Velen’s offer as a matter of self-preservation.

2 Likes

I, for the life of me, cannot roleplay being mean. I always end up sad and feeling bad about it. I can call people out on their hypocrisy, I just can’t go out of my way to be mean or evil while roleplaying :blush:

2 Likes

I’m the type to save scum in BW games if I make my companions a little bit sad, so I can’t say I blame you there lol

1 Like

For me I think I just watch a lot of shows that involve anti-heroes, or the villain teams up with heroes to fight another villain, to create RPs that are a similar.

2 Likes

Well on the bright side(for the horde)nothing the orcs or forsaken have done even compare to the man’ari.

Now to wait on who will be consistent in their criticisms and who will flip.

3 Likes

Want some butter popcorn while we wait to find out?

3 Likes

I definitely like the idea of buddying up with a former enemy to fight a greater evil. But I’d much rather team up with an orc to slay man’ari. :thinking:

Politically these man’ari refugees are in something of a grey area as far as the factions go. What happened with Velen on Argus doesn’t exactly strike me as official channels.

Ironically, since they’re present only due to the prophet’s permission they’d be counted as agents of The Chosen or The Hand of Argus or some other fascet of the draenei leadership.

A cool RP would be like a draenei bail bondsman that hunts down man’ari that have proven to be problematic. Like a Bladerunner.

5 Likes

I like using the Council of the Black Harvest because I don’t think they get enough attention.

If I had been the one writing the Man’ari quest line, I would’ve utilized the Council as the means for Draenei Warlocks and playable Man’ari instead of trying to hamfist them into the Draenei. Maintain that separation between Draenei and Man’ari instead of this whole - “we’re all friends now”.

But I have a feeling Blizzard wants to go down this “we’re all friends now” route and have a re-unified Eredar race, even if it doesn’t make sense.

3 Likes