Make survival ranged

It’s Sunday morning and I see this post, Make Survival Ranged and I smile. Then find it is flagged? Oh! It is Sunday Morning. Hugs Aviela.

Melee Survival is quite boring, and since my main solo toon for over a decade was a Survival hunter and switch to Marks, which is equally as boring. I think I am qualified to say, I would like my ranged Survival hunter back.

I hate Beast Master, I will never play Beast Master ever. If you like it, great - go find your special pets and transmog them or whatever you do. I have tried BM a few times, even if it was to get a rare hunter pet because I was there. I think most BM’s are that spec because it is simple, and it is over powered.

Pandaria’s Survival Hunter was the absolutely most fun that class ever was, if you disagree then you did not play a Survival Hunter before, then, since or now. They should make it possible to spec a hunter back to a ranged/pet kite and dot.

7 Likes

We all like different things.

Personally, I have little interest in current SV because of it’s focus on being a melee spec. Simply put, I don’t like melee combat.

Exactly.

This does not have to be a case of “either/or”. The sooner people realize that(incl the devs), the sooner we can leave this all behind us.

You’re either a troll, or you have zero common sense. Hunters already have two ranged specs. There is no need to make a third. I enjoy survival being a melee spec. Hunting doesn’t always require a ranged weapon.

Ranged Survival was a completely different play style, if you ever played it as a main you would known that. We have lost that kite and dot style completely.

I used my pet as a secondary utility with maintaining range with my target, and using it for crowd control with mobs. As a current Survival hunter I don’t even use the class as they designed it because it is dumb. Harpoon is useless, along with Wingclip and Tar Trap. Maybe if you were PvP but they have killed that part of the game completely, perhaps if Camoflage was not a talent but then you are just a Rogue with a pet.

4 Likes

Okay. If the hunter specs are all the same. Then Enhancement is identical to Elemental because they both can use Lightning bolt. Is a dumb thing to say, is it not?

Ranged Survival was consistent damage via dots. Serpent Sting, Black Arrow, Explosive Shot.

As numerous advocates of RSV have said time and time again, we don’t want MSV to be removed, because it does have a community, despite how niche its representation is. But given RSV was the most popular hunter spec and among the most popular specs in the entire game up until it was killed(along with Demo) during the end of HFC in WoD, to prep for the Legion changes, and considering how split the playerbase STILL is, 4 years later. It should absolutely make a return.

They have tried to shift the SV playstyle into MM via talents. But it doesn’t work. Mechanically MM and SV are very different. The foundation isn’t there for RSV to work with the current MM. But adding RSV back, as a fourth spec, would be a very easy thing to do since the foundation already exists, it’d just have to be brought back.

But as usual, most MSV people are against this. Why? Are you afraid that a return of RSV(while keeping MSV intact) will prove just how popular RSV was? Genuinely curious. If it makes sense, a 4th spec is logical. Does a 4th spec make sense for Rogues? Nah. Warlocks? Not really. Priests? Not really(though an argument could be made there due to old Shadow and Voidform). But hunters, absolutely make sense for a 4th spec. Guardian and Feral were split because they were tied to the same talent tree, thus diluting the potential of each spec. Which is exactly what Blizzard has tried to do with RSV since removing it. Throwing some of its abilities in the MM talent tree. It just doesn’t work. They don’t work with what MM is.

Bring it back as a fourth spec. Keep playing MSV if you enjoy it. But let those of us who played RSV, some of us for over a decade, get out spec back too. You lose nothing. We gain something we lost. If nothing else, it’d stop the infighting that has ensued in the hunter community ever since.

4 Likes

No we haven’t? It actually plays very similar. The idea is keep your dots rolling and fight in melee. However if you see your opponent pop cooldowns, or have to move out of something in a raid. You then just pop fury of the eagle and can do your full rotation outside of auto attack damage from range for 15 seconds. That gives you more than enough time to do what you need to and get back into it.

How are abilitys like Harpoon, Wingclip, and Tar Trap useless? Wingclip is just a basic slow that many classes have like Frostshock, Chains of Ice, etc. It’s designed for PvP. Harpoon is super useful in general. I cannot tell you how often I use it to completely dodge mechanics jumping out to an ad, or bait a DH to waste all their dash onto me then harpoon back to their healer while they walk to me. Tar Trap, iunno how you can say this is bad. One of the best kiting tools in the game. When its a Necrotic week my tanks literally nut as they see it go down every single pull. You literally don’t know the spec if you are making these claims, or you play at a low skill ceiling.

I think a lot of people get hung up on the talent name, as opposed to the skills and talents.

Personally I think they should work on developing talent trees that are more robust and dynamic, so that there are options to build you toon the way you want to play.

Is the goal now to get a 4th spec for hunters in 10.0? It won’t happen for SL or any of the patches in SL.

That means that all this energy could be devoted towards discussing how to make the current melee version work and then revisiting this discussion again at the end of SL.

Regarding the ‘can we go back to MOP’ style hunter. I don’t think we are unique in wanting that and a lot of specs would claim that their hay day was during the MOP era. Locks casting while moving / snapshotting anyone?

You are quite passionate aren’t you? Can you make the same point while calming down?

It last 1 second.

PvP is a dead part of wow, those talents should be apart of the talent tree for those that want to play PvP. Melee has literally no reason to slow something unless they are running away - how often does that happen in PvE.

Frostshock is useful for elemental, they are ranged. Chains of Ice does a lot of damage. Harpoon = PvP, useless in PvE.

My solution is that everyone has 4 paths in the talent tree, instead of these ‘PvP optional’ selections, and there are more selections to craft your class. They will never do it of course, Blizz will continue to make this game less fun.

I miss black arrow and explosive shot.
Maybe give those abilities to marks or BM?

How darn you! I’d delete my Hunter if they did that.

This is true. MM is cast and burst based, while RSV was instant cast and dot and sustained based. They would need make Explosive shot talent to replace Aimed Shot at least and bring back Black Arrow as another talent.

I don’t think there’s a place in MM spec for this. They just need to add it as the fourth spec. I’d be happy if they did, I loved it.

1 Like

It lasts 30 seconds with an 8 yard radius? On a 30 second CD, so literally 100 percent uptime. You can also get a pvp talent for it which reduces melee attack speed by 50 percent. So if you are ever fighting a double melee comp you just fight them inside it and permanently give them a debuff. Also like I said its insane for kiting in M+. Being down for 30 seconds your tank can literally kite back and fourth through it.

You say frost shock is ranged? So what? SV is a melee spec the idea is to use your slow in melee. No different than a warrior using hamstring.

Harpoon is not useless in PVE, you are literally a bad player if you cant find uses for it. I use it to dodge corruption mechanics, dodge boss mechanics, priority swap quickly so I don’t lose uptime aka damage on a fight.

My solution is you stop ranting about a spec that you literally know nothing about. You are probably one of these people who saw it get changed never tried it and have been crying since day one.

No, classes need different options not just variations on the same playstyle

Hunter needs a tank spec

Admittedly, I’m forever salty about the removal of ranged survival because I quite enjoyed being a DoT hunter with poisoned arrows and the like. It was a really good spec theme they just decided to obliterate. But the worst part about it all was when they kept the two ranged specs both as burst DPS.

4 Likes

Awww… boo hoo hoo, want to insult me. Insulting someone is the first thing a person does when they don’t know what they are talking about, it is a very childish things one does to egg someone on. I cannot be trolled.

Blizzard ruined Survival Hunter for those of that played it. In Wrath it was the default spec for raiding, in Pandaria is was the most fun Spec imho. There was no reason to wreck it. Fine you are apart of the group that likes it, I never said to take it away. I want the play style back because it was enjoyable to me and others that enjoyed it.

Perhaps you should go play Warrior, it sounds like it is what you like. They can give warriors a pet then.

3 Likes

They tried. MM in Legion had both. But Explosive Shot was changed to a slow moving missile you detonate, instead of its old “Fire and it explodes 3x on the target”. It was bad. And never picked. Black Arrow was also tuned horribly so never picked. Plus they just don’t work for MM and aren’t nearly enough to give MM any semblance of RSV’s playstyle.

I am very passionate about the spec I played for over a decade. Most of my fondest memories of WoW are from playing that spec. I’m also quite calm. Just because I’m being blunt with other people who want to be blunt while also acting like MSV is some super mega hugely represented spec, when it’s not.

Mhm. But outside of Explosive(old Explosive) replacing Aimed Shot, much, much more would have to be done. Serpent Spread would have to replace Bombardment. Rapid Fire(Haste) would have to replace Trueshot, or just remove Trueshot. Steady Shot being replaced by Cobra Shot. Etc… Simply put, to make RSV work within MM, it would have to completely overshadow what MM is, thus killing MM in the process.

Hence, why lovers of RSV want our spec to come back as a fourth. The people who enjoy MSV lose absolutely nothing. But for some reason, the vast majority are adamantly against it.

Sustained damage utilizing dots with instant cast abilities is the same as a spec that depends on the pet for most of its damage, or the spec that is all about hardcasted abilities? That’s news to me!

For what it’s worth, I tried MSV, several times. I wanted to love it, since it replaced the spec I did love. It’s just anti fun to me. It’s not unique, or original. It’s literally melee BM with bombs. I did still force myself to play it, enough to get the Mage Tower appearance at least.

4 Likes

You are right. The person who’s literally mained Melee SV hunter since day one of it launching for the past 5-6 years know’s nothing about the spec. The same person having to give you detailed descriptions of the ability’s because you don’t know what they even do lmao…

They didn’t ruin it, they made it better and more fluent. Old SV was clunky and not great. It’s only real purpose ever was PVP. Which is one of your main complaints about current SV. That it’s only good at PVP and PVP is dead. I think from cata-legion old SV only ever was good in one raid which was BRF during WoD because of the Set bonus. Outside of that it was literally garbage for everything but PVP for its entire iteration.

You haven’t timed a 10, you haven’t downed the raid, you have 0 rating in pvp. I can see why ability’s are useless in your mind now. Guess i’ll move on. So you can keep your 1.3k forum post spam rating…

Don’t tell me what ability’s are good and bad when i’m 2.2k io and actively playing the class in higher end content. Actually disgusting to read.

1 Like

Great, so this is your spec. You will champion it no matter what. I still see it as a warrior in mail with a pet. My current off spec is Survival and I loathe Beast as a play style. I am sure that Blizzard thought people who liked ranged Survival would adapt to either Marks or Beast.

It is well known that Marks is not fun, it is low-mobility range spec. I try to adapt the old style of kiting to that spec in a PvE solo environment with Marks and it does not work. I prefer to have fun and enjoy playing as opposed to a career of number crunching. I like having a pet and being ranged, and not being a Beast Master. Beast is Pet Focus, Survival was Pet as a utility and ranged.

Again tryin to insult me, this is my forums toon. If you were intelligent you would have recognized that. Stating what my stats are on a DH is like the dumbest thing you have said so far. It really explains a lot about you.

2 Likes