"major" classic changes

im sure most of you saw the survey

blizzard hinted at the possibility that, if there was enough interest, static classic servers would get major changes.

such as new content, potential class balancing, etc.

What would you all like to see?

atm for me, I have no interest in playing vanilla classic again, however, if the following happened. I might.

• PvP system overhaul. I like the ranks, but how they are reached is obviously bad and prone to manipulation.

-class balacing such as
– rage normalization for warriors
– no WBs in raids
– pet scaling for hunters
– feral cats scale better with AP

• new content, in the form of more quests for levelling, perhaps a new zone entirely. new dungeons and raids.

• Group finder for dungeons. NOT THE INSTA TELEPORT GROUP FORMING ONE (this one is the worst thing that ever happened to WoW imo)

A loot table for level 60s that acknowledges there are 3-4 talent trees per class, not one, would be nice.

And the worldbuff crap should just go. It’s absurd.

Storage for more pets for hunters.

2 Likes

We’d need to avoid the precedent of introducing hamster wheel systems that have gone on to evolve into the garbage, that is retail…

Saying that, there’s a disturbing reliance on boost runs, to the point that impact the natural formation of groups and progression. Be it changes to the lfg system (without automation), or change to the economy, I think could be worth considering.

5 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-survey-news-on-wowhead/893221/11

I didn’t mention this before but Name Changes. This would go under my “reasonable” section.

#nochanges

7 Likes

Lol IK, but if they’re going to do any changes, they might as well do it right.

Another “reasonable” change (IMO)…Account to Account transfers.

#nochanges

I’m fine with them finishing off quest lines that missing parts. Unfinished zones…

3 Likes

oh right. turing T1/2 into the token system and. then bringing in each spec into its own set like they do in TBC would also be pretty amazing.

they can also revamp / remove the trash items that literally no one wants.

1 Like

Several zones could stand to have some quests added.

Actually, I’d like for each zone to have a “zone quest.” Just one giant kill x of y list with 3-4 collection quests that have the drop rate of zhevra hooves. It doesn’t have to be fancy at all. JUST something to give some direction to grinding with an xp reward at the end and a monetary reward as minor as 1g. Maybe the single large quest would be too much stuff to collect, but breaking it down into 10-15 quests wouldn’t be a big deal.

It would help address the whole boosting thing too. While that is always an option, and I don’t care if people do it, there are places where questing is bouncing all over the map and it’s a bit ridiculous.

I have no intentions in playing vanilla again if they don’t change up the endgame meta. If they do class rebalancing, no WBs in raids, kill mage dungeon boosting, rebalancing of raids, and overhaul the pvp system, then I’d easily play again after TBC. They could take class design ideas from TBC and Wrath, like pallys’ spiritual attunement or Spriests mana battery-ness, or enh shaman spells scaling from AP, scaling hunter pets, etc. from TBC.

They don’t even have to make new content. If they mix up what’s already there at endgame significantly, that’s all they’d have to do imo.

1 Like

What do you think of my idea?

Oh, that’s another one! I want to have Hunters able to tame more Pets, than what they can (already). For example, a Hunter able to tame a Zhevra or something…

I…kind of had a “Classic+” version of this-ish:

I might agree on “opening up” Kara…but then…my Faerie Dragon Clan no longer has a secret hideout :frowning:

How about:

I kind of like that, though :frowning:

Again, what do you think of my idea?

I did mention:

As kind of a “Classic+”, kind of thing.

OP reminded me (if we’re going the Classic+) route…Hunters taming other kinds of creatures via Zhevras, for example.

Which I did post (elswhere), if you wanted to take a look at it:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-survey-news-on-wowhead/893221/11

Change NOTHING. The current developers will never get it right if you give them half a chance. Leave it alone … it won’t get better if you open the door to their stupidity.

8 Likes

And who determines what constitutes as “doing it right”? You? The 10 other kids with their brilliant Ideas? Me?

You throw away the small notion of even pretending to keep the game as close to the original all bets are basically off and there is no way to say where they stop with the changes and what part of the game they change. With TBC they obviously have no problem doing actual gameplay changes. So Id not be surprised if they would do the same with classic.

Yall need to realize that this dev. team is not the dev. team that actually made the original game. Or TBC. Its the dev. team that created retail and made the game what it is. So everyone excited for classic+ or “changes” should realize what this dev. team considers essential in a MMO, considers to be vital to have fun in a game or necessary.

So everyone being excited about possibly having more “classic-content” should prolly double check if they enjoy the retail version of this game, because thats pretty much where classic+ would steer to.

3 Likes

All of us, when we come together and compromise.

I don’t want to go down the Slippery Slope. If Blizz wants to “do it right”, they can listen to their buyers. 'Cause we’re the ones that’s keeping them in business. You can look at the changes I’m proposing and actually address them instead of going down the Slippery Slope. My proposition of Race Changes doesn’t even change the Game, at all:

I think their Buyers are the ones that decide that. Afterall, the Standard Game has more players than Classic, anyway, so “somechanges” it’s what the Buyers like.

I’ve been tuning in on those “changes”, and IMO, the game is still pretty much the same :woman_shrugging:

It really depends on what Changes they implement. I’ve covered which changes I don’t want:

Sure, it’s their game. But, if they want the money, they’ll have to listen to their Buyers. Unless, they want to go bankrupt.

I see what you’re saying, but you let me know how I can access Old World (Pre-Deathwing Destruction) in the Standard Game…oh, that’s right, I can’t! Classic is the ONLY way I can!

EDIT: It’s something I’ve been advocating and mentioned before, and I even wrote a Post about it -
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/i-made-this-suggestion-before/899220

Making a bunch of changes to a 15 year old game is dumb.

Why not make a sequel to classic WoW. The same setting, a similar map (but much bigger), the same basic classes, the same factions, even the same game assets (art and engine) BUT make a new game that is similar to the old game that we haven’ all done a zillion times that may actually appeal to a new younger audience as well.

They need to start pumping out new products that have the same “magic” that WoW did.

There is no “we”. There is only Blizzard and the development team. You see their philosophy in retail. Sure they scout the forums and look what people want, but in the end its a person reading a forum post and then telling themselves “hey thats a good idea”. You do not know what said person considers a good idea. The only way to get a grasp of what they potentially find a good idea is if you check out the current game (retail).

It does though. The current gamer philosophy is “play to win” not “play to have fun”. You see the parse meta, you see the competitiveness as if this game was a job or some athletic competition. By allowing your version you allow these players to race change for flavor of the month racials/abilities/advantages. You take away an important aspect of the game (which is making choices) by basically giving players who made a decision on their toon, on how they look, appear etc. an easy way out. This also alienates the connection you as a player have with your toon. Suddenly its not the dwarf you spent over 20 played days with anymore but some female human you created in a snap by paying XYZ amount of cash. This is one of the problems in retail. Your characters are so interchangeable because of all these options. You never connect to your own toon. So i dislike even your “lighter” version of race change.

And who is to say they use your version? They see race change, think its a good idea and might implement the whole thing, where you can faction/race change too. Thats a whole other can of worms.

Im sorry but they really do not. They deliver their product and most of the players put up with stuff before they decide to quit. Its also a terrible idea to just let the buyers decide. In this thread alon you probably have 15 people with 15 different opinions on what should be changed and what should be left alone. I can not speak on wether retail has more players than classic (atm probably), but the sub numbers have been constantly going down since wotlk and for good reason. Classic launch itself boosted the sub numbers significantly, so I doubt retail is the overall more favoured game compared to previous expansions

Well they are not though. Also considering the mega servers and the big sub increase with TBC you can expect outland to be permanently layered on multiple servers. They also use 2.4.3 as a starting point for TBC again, even though original TBC had multiple patches and changes. For classic it was claimed 1.12 was the final version cause that was the only build they had. But for TBC a more progressive and authentic approach would have been nice. Everyone cheering for the “pre-nerf” raid content, but forgetting that yall start with 2.4.3 talents and values.

Its great that you don’t want those, but you are not the one in charge. And other people might disagree with you or me. I feel its short sighted to open this “lets change stuff fellas” door and then expect to get what you want instead of creating some twisted abomination of the game that might have some of the changes you want, but multiple others that are trash.

lol. Im sorry but no. The only thing i can say is that i kinda hope they do allow changes and bring in all those fancy ideas yall take to the forums everyday. Some are good but most are absolutely atrocious. Now if they were to implement those, atleast pservers could flourish again and we would get an arguably more authentic game provided by some kid in russia in his moms basement.

1 Like

Yes, there is. There’s others, you and me hence “we”.

Who have altered the game based off of their buyers.

I see some (not all) having their “dreams come true” with some QoL Features implemented, to make life “easier” for the player, in question.

You don’t know what “ideas” they’re grasping at either or what conversations they pull from. There’s nothing wrong with having that conversation. By refusing to converse, you can’t complain about the changes they do make, when you never participated in any of the discussions, I’m sorry.

I (also) think conversations between the players, as well. We were kept being told “no”, “no Classic”, yet here we are with Classic because the players talked about it and spoke with their wallets. That’s how this works.

I disagree but go on.

“Fun” is subjective. Some (not all) find “fun” in “winning”, I don’t. Some (not all) find “fun” in RP (a lot really don’t). Some (not all) find “fun” in doing nothing but leveling Toon, after Toon, after Toon. You don’t get to dictate how players define as “fun”.

I really don’t care about that competitive group that have ALWAYS been around, since the beginning of time, in EVERY video game, ever! They have NOTHING to do with me.

If they want to waste their real life money to be “leet”, let them. It doesn’t change the Boss Fights. It doesn’t change the Questing Zones. It doesn’t change how items work, in the game. I think my idea is rather harsh because I’m still allowing for Faction Changes with restrictions (kind of). But, I understand why you disagree with Race Changes and respect it.

It’s not really an “easy way out”. They still have to fork real life money at Blizz, in order to Race Change. If it helps keep the population numbers afloat to stop Connected Realms from happening, than I’m all for certain (not all) changes to occur.

I do play on RP Servers, so I understand your point, but you need to understand that not everybody feels this way. Some (not all) aren’t here to “connect” with their characters. Though, I still have a “connection” with ALL of my Toons. Including my Worgen Priest (that I connect with as a Worgen) who went through not only one but TWO Race Changes. She started off as a Nelf, than I made her a Draenei, than I turned her into a Worgen, and she’s remained a Worgen, since. I still “connect” with that character, in every way. She has a really cool Transmog :slightly_smiling_face:

I never said they’re going to use “my version”. I put the idea out there and ask for support. The more an idea has support, the higher probability it gets implemented.

I haven’t used the Race Change in the Standard Game, in a long time, last I checked, when you opt for the Race Change, it was to Race Change into your Faction Races, only. The Faction Change Service was completely separate.

I (actually) did go over the Faction Change part (if you actually read my post) and mentioned the difficulty of it because of how Paladins and Shamans work, in Classic. I can see Race Changes being a thing, absolutely. Faction Change is (to use your words):

I believe they do. Without the Buyers asking for features, these features wouldn’t exist. I remember the cries over ML, now the Standard Game has PL.

Well, I’d rather “quit” knowing I tried rather than “quitting” without knowing what the hell I’m talking about :woman_shrugging:

Fair. Blizz definitely gets inspired by their Buyers, though. We do have some influence in their decision making. To think we don’t is just wrong.

And, I’m striking up a conversation to see where we all compromise at and/or agree/disagree. What’s wrong with that?

I’ll have to dig around. I just know certain Retail Addons are documented with how many downloads they receive, and it was shown that the Retail ones are downloaded more than the Classic ones.

IK it’s not as high as it used to be (back in Wrath), but it still has more players than Classic and is still standing despite being a 15+ old game.

I do see what you’re saying, but you can’t deny Addon Download numbers for Retail vs Classic, which Retail Addons are being downloaded more than Classic, so what does that tell you? I’ll have to find it.

Lemme provide you the context:
The Questlines are still the same. Our Abilities are still the same (with the exception of the Paladin one, even though that’s not until max level, anyway). Deathwing hasn’t destroyed the old world, yet. There’s no Inscription Profession, flying in old world (not through the means of FPs, ofc), DKs, etc. So, unless, all of that changes, I can see your point. At this point, this is all just “preferences”.

I did expect Layering, yes. That still doesn’t change the Game. Layering existing doesn’t mean that Game has now changed. The BC Questlines will still be in tact.

I figured they would do this because they (similarly) did this to Classic. I wonder if they’re going to have Mounts be obtainable at Level 30, though :thinking:

Well, it is BC, so it is different than Classic :woman_shrugging:

This would be another preference choice.

I think I remember them talking about maybe adding in some “harder” Raids, so this point may actually be moot :thinking:

IK that. If you actually read my post listing all of the changes, I said that I don’t like them but foresee them (not exactly verbatim but still):

I’m being open to expecting some of these changes that I don’t like.

IK that HENCE the discussion!

I still really disagree with you on that because it all comes down to subjectivity. If these changes can help bring more people in to NOT Connect Realm us all, I’m for it while possibly (keyword) keeping some remnants of the Classic aspect, in tact. I’m (also) making it very clear with the changes I find (key phrase) to not be so “Classic+y” vs “Classic+” style.

I’m sorry, yes. That’s exactly how this works. In order for Blizz to get money, they have to figure out what their buyers want. In order to figure out what their buyers want, they have to figure out what that is first, hence why they keep putting out all of these surveys and getting ideas from Forums, YT Videos, etc. That’s how that works. Unless they want to go bankrupt, then sure, by all means, they can continue trashing their game. I may be the minority here (and, that’s OK). Which is why I’m having this discussions to better understand the WoW populace, and what to expect, when changes come.

All the BC stuff they spewed out, worked out EXACTLY how I imagined it, with all the conversations I’ve had with the WoW populace. Despite me (in particular) wanting a “fresh” BC, it’s CLEAR the “majority” was not on that same train of thought.

Then, I don’t understand why you’re even arguing with me :roll_eyes:

It’s why I’m discussing them, so I can come up with my own analysis and see if other players agree with them or not, that’s all. That’s the whole point!

You still can. I’m sure there’s plenty of PServers out there that won’t have the B-Net Launcher, and all that fun stuff. That really isn’t the point, I’m trying to make here. The point is to see who agrees on what (which, according to you, you think everything I suggested, you don’t like or at least disagreed with, and that’s fine, you’ve said your peace, now I would like to hear from others I was addressing). I still don’t think my suggestions other than the “Classic+” ones, are that far-fetched. Maybe Transmog, maybe LOL

I would like to see classic go foward in a different path that retail did, but…

Do I trust the current blizzard for this? I sure as hell dont.

So no, absolutely not.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s where I stand, as well. If they’re going to do changes, I listed what I would like to see (personally). Are they going to do that? Probably not, but I can hope :slightly_smiling_face:

From some of the replies, it seems a lot of people could stand to just learn how to have fun with something. It’s kind of pathetic to be so up-in-arms and sound so angry at people just having fun talking about ideas they would like. Grow up a little.

2 Likes