Main villain of shadowlands (spoilers)

The issue is that she was doing some many bizarre and non-rational things before that point. Going to Helya to make some deal… how did she even know anything about that? The Val’kry told her to go there? Maybe but that’s pretty iffy going on a secret side mission that otherwise wouldn’t have malice intentions.
Then starting the whole ‘4th’ war because she thought the Alliance would destroy the Horde, but really needed souls(cause all the elves went to the Maw, except the ones she raised to be dark wardens or rangers cause reasons…).

Just feels like a messy, not really thought out story.

1 Like

It’s not thought out. It reeks of post hoc justification for the sh!tshow that was BfA.

12 Likes

What is even more funny is that Sylvanas burning Teldrassil is more of a childish reaction than anything when you consider her warbringer video.

4 Likes

It was explicitly stated in the Q&A that the Jailer is a completely new entity that we haven’t met before.

5 Likes

We’ve never met Meuh’zala.

Only time he’s ever appeared anywhere was as a voice in the Traveler books, where he threatened Death would consume everything.

3 Likes

I believe you misunderstand, The Jailer was stated outright to not be Mueh’zala, and is a brand-new character.

2 Likes

The Jailer seems to me to be a very powerful Death entity that was imprisoned at the dawn of life, and in order to keep him weak, he only got the souls of the truly depraved and wicked. So he’s older than the other factions by a decent margin, and at some point clashed with another entity of equal power, who defeated him and locked him up in the Maw.

The Scourge seem to be tied to Maldraxxus, however, not him. The Nathrezim could easily have forged both the Helm and Frostmourne in the Shadowlands with the intent of harnessing and mimicking the forces to Maldraxxus, which of course backfired on the Legion in the end because it tied the Lich King to the Shadowlands as a result, and Maldraxxus in particular. These guys are described as the armies of the Shadowlands, not evil but ‘morally grey’ and advancing the cause of death in the universe. Ergo, the strongest souls become part of the army, leaders, while the weaker ones become fodder for the war machine.

Sound familiar?

3 Likes

I smell the stink of retcons coming,

4 Likes

coming? it is already here

4 Likes

I meant to say more to come.

OMG E&T hosted this years Q&A!?! I love this already.

I suspect the Jailer is some ancient sealed away being. I suspect what we will find out is that he is the Arbiter’s rival who lost to the Arbiter some time in pre-history of the shadowlands and was sealed away in the Maw. I am guessing it is the system the Arbiter built that Sylvanas wants to see brought down. Interestingly they referred to the Arbiter as a she.

Thus Sylvanas’s alliance with the Jailer is more about bringing down the Arbiter and the system of life and death the Arbiter reigns over. Considering it was the Arbiter that sent Sylvanas to the Maw, it might explain her motivations.

7 Likes

Clearly the ‘Banshee’ part of Sylvanas has been working with the Jailer all along, but the rest of her personality was completely unaware of this. We’re going back to Sylvanas just being a puppet of a larger darker force again.

1 Like

I bet 10k dollars this jailer is deal in 9.2 and we face another big bad by 9.3

maybe the jailer is the death titan?

Did… did they really say that?

Jesus. They’re trying to make Sylvanas sound smart but they’re just succeeding in making the writers sound stupid.

2 Likes

If it was the jailer was in the edge of night place. I guess the whole needing to sacrifice val’kyr to resurrect sylvanas was somehow a ruse? Because why didn’t the guy just release her? And for some weird reason put a limit on it. And that plot point is now irrelevant. Seeing as sylvanas can get the new jailor theme val’kyr.

Called it!

Good! It’s about dam time they stop trying to “subvert our expectations” and sucking at it.

I actually kinda look forward to having a box-cover villain, after so long, that I can look forward to thwarting later in the expansion as we did with the Lich King and Deathwing.

When you think about it, it’s a breath a fresh air, after having to smell the farts of the writers so-called “subversion” for at least 2 expansions in a row.

3 Likes

So how did Draka end up as a warlord among them?