Main villain of shadowlands (spoilers)

So, The Jailer is Meuh’zala right? Or am I suppose to pretend to be surprised.

you mean what danuser said? yeah its pretty dumb but these guys have gone on record saying they dont like consistency because it messes with their “vision”

2 Likes

Relevant to the end part, we see 4 Val’kyr, but didn’t she only have 3 left?

3 Likes

those are new guys, they aren the same type of val’kyr

4 Likes

They’re not Valkyr, they’re the Forsworn. Kirians who were unable to complete the ritual to get their wings properly and succumb to darkness (but still get wings!)

The Kirian in depth preview explains they need to keep them in check and are their enemies, so that means they’ll side with the Jailer and Sylvanas

3 Likes

The way I see it Sylvanas knows she’s not a trusted figure within the Horde but apparently wanted to be Warchief. Thus when the Burning Legion invaded she joined the heroes to help push Legion out and gain better PR in order to help guide her plans to steal the Warchief seat. However she, like everyone else, was unaware that Detheroc made had sure their information was false and the Battle for Broken Shore ended in Legion victory.

Thus her surprise at Vol’jin promoting Warchief on his deathbed remains genuine and most likely felt like it was too soon as she lamented the spotlight the position gave her in Before the Storm. Furthermore the novel revealed that Sylvanas didn’t anticipate the strain the position put on her. She had Saurfang and Baine pointing out she couldn’t give the Forsaken too much attention over the other races and the Forsaken feeling that she was giving them too much attention.

Thus while she achieved her goal, she also cursed Vol’jin and his loa for giving her position because of the internal issues it caused.

Ah okay, thanks.

1 Like

the jailer was the loa speaking to vol’jin

2 Likes

This is a stretch.

7 Likes

I was thinking about this on the toilet and I have come up with a reasonable solution that stays true to the lore from Legion and BtS and the new info we get in Shadowlands.

Basically, in Edge of Night the Jailer takes notice of Sylvanas but they don’t formally meet. The jailer agrees to the soul for a soul swap that Sylvanas and Annhylde made. In Legion when Vol’jin is dying, the Jailer still whispers to him to make Sylvanas warchief however Sylvanas is in the dark (so she still has the same reactions). It is only afterwards through her own investigations or her conversations with Helya that she finds out who was behind making her warchief. After failing to corrupt Eyir, Sylvanas makes contact with the jailer and they make a bargain.

4 Likes

But she didn’t know that per Before the Storm. Thus she when cursed Vol’jin, she also cursed the loa.

Shrug It’s how I rationalize things without having to recon Sylvanas’s own inner thoughts.

Before the Storm, pg 18

“A curse upon Vol’jin and his loa. I should have stayed in the shadows, where I could be effective without being interrogated.”

Where I could do as I truly wished.

She’d never wanted this. Not really. As she had told the troll Vol’jin before, during the trial of the late and greatly unlamented Garrosh Hellscream, she liked her power, her control, on the subtle side. But with quite literally his dying breath, Vol’jin, the Horde’s leader, had commanded that she do the opposite. He had claimed he had been granted a vision by the loa he honored.

13 Likes

I’m going to revise my earlier post. Instead of Sylvanas finding out who made her warchief (and then making the bargain) to be set during legion, it is sometime after the darkshore warfront where she loses another one of her Val’kyr. She only has 3 left and the last time she was killed, it took 3 Val’kyr to raise her. So one more death and she is a goner.

Sylvanas is now making moves she wasn’t aware of but was totally aware of now.

14 Likes

There’s certainly discussion to be had on the details. The WoWhead headline is downright irresponsible, however. Just because Edge of Night is part of the story doesn’t mean that’s when the collaboration started.

4 Likes

It is why I think the Jailer took notice of Sylvanas during edge of night, however they didn’t create the formal bargain until after the darkshore warfront, where she is now reduced to 3 val’kyr. The jailer still made her warchief by whispering to Vol’jin however Sylvanas was in the dark about that.

It just sounds stupid and convoluted having that Sylvanas knew the whole time.

7 Likes

As I said elsewhere - they are about to embark on a project of massive retconning involving her story.

15 Likes

The funny thing is, they don’t need to. Just make it that Sylvanas and the Jailer made their bargain after the darkshore warfront, since Sylvanas is now down to 3 Valks and if she does die again, she loses those 3 valks considering it took 3 to rez her after Godfrey shot her in the head. Keep Sylvanas in the dark about the Jailer telling Vol’jin to make her warchief.

But we all know how the WoW writers have a hard on for Sylvanas. I thought it was bad when it was just Dave Kosak.

1 Like

Sylvanas is playing 4D chess against herself, I love it! lol

7 Likes

who wins in chess when you are playing yourself?

2 Likes