[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

this is an Nvidia issue. in ardenweald if im at a certain angle most plant objects will flicker and other zones it happens with certain things as well. i have also adjusted graphic settings like shadows and water detail and a few other things to minimize performace issues and the flicker is still going on. this all started after i did the cyberpunk update and after last nights most recent update its still happening… its not a WoW issue its a GPU update issue.

i am currently right now at Tirna Vaal and at a certain angle facing to the left of the screen the plants are flickering like crazy non stop

1 Like

I’m late to the party here, but I’m still getting this issue. I’m running an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super. I have noticed 2 things resolve it for me:

Setting Shadows to ‘Low’ (all other shadow settings don’t stop or reduce the issue in any way).

OR

Turning on Ray Traced shadows in advanced graphics options. Any level.

Obviously I don’t want to play on low shadows when I have capable hardware, but Ray Tracing is too much of a performance sink for minimal improvement, so I don’t want to keep that on perpetually either.

Any progress on this?

Another video clip of this occuring that might be a bit more obvious than OP’s:

3 Likes

It is not limited to tabbing back into the game. It happens very consistently in Ardenweald, but I haven’t noticed it in other zones. It’s particularly bad when moving the camera.

Yes, I tried turning shadows to Low and haven’t noticed any flickering since.

EDIT: I still experience some flickering, but it’s relatively rare now.

Additional details:

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
  • Driver version 460.89
  • Never had AA or ray tracing enabled
  • DirectX 12

I have the same issue. Setting shadow quality to low, or reverting to the 457.51 - December 2, 2020 drivers eliminates the flickering.

The 1 setting that removes the flickering for me is turning on Ray Tracing…oof.

Setting Liquid Quality to high instead of Ultra helped me.

I almost had a seizure last week doing a mythic+ boss in spire of ascension like what the hell

i’d suggest investing in a company who supports open source instead of unvidia :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s three more short clips for those who want to see this in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-Waq5O89k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkmTqvyBFN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCx4HHqa0U

I have never seen flickering, but I rolled back to 457.51 drivers anyway. I had other issues that started after updating to the CP2077-ready drivers.

I reverted back to .51 and all is normal, this is 100% a driver issue. I guess if I want to play Cyberpunk i need to swap between drivers but I’m playing WoW more now so.

It would be nice to get some sort of Blizzard response, I’ve sent 4 messages via twitter asking for more information that went unanswered and we are going on 3 weeks with no response here on a issue that is well over 1 month old.

If the only solution is to downgrade to .51 then just make it public.

1 Like

Geez, I thought my new 3080 was going bad already, same issues here.

1 Like

You mean like here?

2 Likes

Bump. Updated drivers on 1080TI and terrible flickering in Shadowlands zones. No issues anywhere else.

Immersion breaking!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB

I have reverted back to the December 2 driver but the only steps involved to reproduce it is to update the video drivers. No game settings were changed.

I was going to post a video of the flickering in the Heart of the Forest in Ardenweald where it was really obvious. But after closing the game to revert my drivers there was a new update of the game and that seems to have fixed it. I think we got it! I’ll wait for others to confirm before celebrating.

Edit: Never mind, it’s better than it was, seems more stable but still flickers given the right camera angles. I’ll post videos of the before and after patch.

Edit #2: After taking a video, I restarted the game and now I can’t make it happen, even though, at this location, it was 100% reproducible. So it seems less frequent than before but still not 100% fixed. I’ll still post videos later after editing and posting to youtube.

Looks like we might be in luck. After logging in and shifting back to my preferred settings, I’m not seeing any flickering either. Did a number of flight path tests in Zuldazar which usually gets it going. So far, all clear.

Hopefully, we’re back in business.

Woohoo! Both computers are working great with today’s client update. No more blinking!! To whoever is responsible for the fix, thank you.

EDIT: Never mind, rats. Mine came back after a bit.

Hello, sorry to bump a month old thread but I’ve been having this issue for some time now, I believe since Nvidia Geforce Driver 446.14 or even before that but that’s the date I returned to WoW bfa, and it was when it started to get extremely flickering.

Spec On two Different Machines that have the same Problem;
Machine 1:
Intel i7 7700k Stock
Gigabyte Z270 Ultra Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB@2400hz
Zotac GTX 1070ti Latest Nvidia Driver
WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM (Game Install)
Crucial SSD 120GB
Monitor 1 -AOC 27" 1440p@144hz (Gameplay Monitor) Monitor 2- BenQ 24" 1080p@60hz

Machine 2:
Ryzen 7 3700X Stock
Asus TUF Gaming Plus X570
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB@3600hz
EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition Latest Drivers
WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM (Game Install)
Kingston SSD 120GB
Monitor 1 - Acer 24" 1080p@144hz Monitor 2 - Vizio 40" 4k TV@60hz

I’ve made posts previously about this flickering issue but I non of the advice given would work on my issue. A few weeks ago I started to mess around with the settings and noticed that I could removed the problem completely by shutting off Shadow Quality, Particle Density, SSAO and MSAA. This setting would sometimes completely removed the issue but sometimes it still persisted no matter the Graphics quality.

i actually sent feedback to nvidia about that exact update as my flickering began right after that and i had a GTX 1050TI SC (superclock) and it did the same thing untill it finally died a week ago after 3 years and now back to my original 1050 card that came with my PC and its doing the samething too… hell i even gave them my twitch account name if they wanted to actually see it happen live on cam lol