[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

i was also onthe same card and update version when this all started. its the CB2077 update causing this issue as it seems its when this all started. and reverting back to 457 update ( from dec 2nd) and going back to DX 11 should fix it for some

Per an Nvidia forums representative over at Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kqldhb/blizzard_has_reproduced_the_texture_flickering/gidqqsn/

There are a couple of flickering bugs we have observed.

1. Some textures may display flickering. → We are unable to reproduce this anymore with the recent patch from Blizzard
  2. Flickering observed when ray tracing is enabled in Shadowlands → We have not determined if this is an app bug or driver issue.

I’m responding with more videos showing that it’s prevalent after the January 5th patch. Any of you with Reddit accounts and still experiencing this issue, it would be appreciated if you could chime in as well. I’ll also keep this thread updated.

Anyone try the new 461.09 driver yet?

I have the 461.09 drivers and the latest World of Warcraft update that went out on 1/5/2021 which introduced me to the “error 132 club”. Yay me. If something isn’t done about this error preventing me from even playing the game now sadly I will have to remove wow and my sub with it.

My husband who uses All AMD is lucky, he doesn’t belong to this exclusive club.

461.09, flickering persists in Bastion, same old usual suspects. Back to DX11 I guess.

Ugh, quite disappointing, to say the least.

Rollback to 457.30

I suffer from this issue as well and have been watching the nvidia driver feedback thread on r/nvidia. A few people have posted that this fix worked for them.

Note, I have not tried this myself and am just using older drivers. This could be helpful for others though that want the newer drivers for other fixes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/hpclhu/nvidiaflickering_fix_for_directx_12/

thank you for trying out 461.09; Guess I’ll stick with 457.51 for now!

Same issue. Nvidia 1050TI. Turning Shadow Quality to low fixes the flickering.

I started having some screen flickering issues a couple updates ago with my Nvidia driver just before Cyberpunk came out. I found switching to running the game on Directx 11 legacy got rid of the problem.

Nvidia gtx 960 and lowering shadows helped.

The issue then is the game doesn’t run as efficiently since most the performance upgrades they’ve done require DX12. Also you can’t use Ray Tracing unless you’re on DX12.

I’ve reverted to .51 and that has made the flickering gone pretty much everywhere. Bastion still has some flicker in the rocks when you are using a FP but its not as noticeable/dramatic than on the newer driver.

It’s been over 2 weeks (nearly 3) since we’ve seen an official response here, they have ignored twitter questions about this as well… This issue is over a month old.

Do we have any ETA on when we can update our drivers without the game going crazy again?

tried the new drivers that nvidia released today 461.09 still flicker

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. Saved me having to do it myself and rolling back.

1 Like

Reddit thread maintainer chiming in again with new info.

Blizzard has reproduced the texture flickering issue and has forwarded to Nvidia for a future driver fix : nvidia (reddit.com)

• GeForce Driver 461.09
  • WoW Retail 9.0.2.36949

I’ve recorded a more informative video that is ~1 minute in length, no ads, no talking, no fluff. Just ~30 seconds of the issue, ~10 seconds of the WoW graphics setting screen, ~10 seconds of the advanced settings screen, and then adjusting the shadows quality setting to show its impact on the issue.

(video is being processed and will be up momentarily in SD, HD to follow)
https://youtu.be/8QjGQvxdoJc

Per Pidge2K, an Nvidia employee, they are asking that those impacted by this issue please fill out the form at the Reddit thread (I apparently cannot link the form here).

3 Likes

can confirm 461.09 still flickers

5 Likes

Man, I tried DX11 and it felt rough. Ended up just rolling back to the 457 driver and will chill for now :\ Guess it’s okay since I am holding off for a year to play Cyberpunk, so that 460 driver isnt needed

What I am downloading right now and installing hope it works.

Edit - I installed the 461.09 drivers…loaded up the game and put it back to Direct 12 and finding no flickering now…seems for my video card these new drivers are working fine…I have shadows at lowest point …never liked shadows. I have the Nvidia Geoforce GTX 1660 Super 6gig card.