[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

I’m getting this as well, with an RTX 3090.

Doesn’t flicker all the time, but when it does its really bad. I’ve also tried to lower Particle Density, to limited success. It works sometimes to stop it, but then comes back.

I built two other computers for my nephews, one has a 1080ti and the other has a 1070, and both their computers show the same texture flickering.

It’s clearly a driver issue with Warcraft. They’ll (both Nvidia and Blizzard) will need to come up with a fix, as playing with settings doesn’t really fix this.

Flicker issue present on v446.16 (sometimes) and v460.89 (constant).

Reverted back to v457.51, no more flickering.

Running WoW at 10 Quality with all settings maxed, DX12, MSAA 8X.

RTX 2080 Ti

Same issue here - 3090, flickering comes and goes in zones depending on where the camera is facing. Driver is 460.79.

This has been an issue for me, as well. I’m running a geforce gtx 1060 6gb, driver version 460.89, Ryzen 5 3600XT processor. Everything else is fine, but I can’t seem to make this flickering go away no matter what combination of graphics settings I use.

Putting shadows to low fixed the issue as a temporary fix for a 2080ti running latest drivers, also changing to ray tracing shadows can fix the issue.

Same flicker issues.

RTX 2080S
Driver version 460.89

I did not have this issue on my previous driver, version 457.30.

I believe the settings themselves and how they interact with the drivers are not functioning properly, and the results are inconsistent. I’ve run a number of different tests on my system with 460.79, 460.89 and 460.97 drivers, and I achieved flicker free gaming with the following settings, in no particular order of importance. Additionally, I did have to toggle some of the settings a time or two before achieving stability.

The below are modifications from the default in nVidia Control Panel:

• Max Frame Rate - 3 FPS under rated panel maximum refresh rate
  • Power Management Mode - Prefer maximum performance

The below are the key settings in game that I had to alter after taking the slider all the way to 10.

• Anti-Aliasing - None
  • Vertical Sync - On
  • Shadow Quality - High, but only after setting to Low first
  • Triple Buffering - Enabled, but only after disabling first
  • Disable all in-game FPS limiters

I admit, it’s kind of bizarre, but worked for me. I play on an AMD x570 based system with a 5950x and 3090.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Returning a 3090 because of a software/driver issue? OK… Heck, I’ll buy it from you for retail price is you’re so unhappy.

Same story as many others here. Rtx2070s and updated the driver for Cyberpunk, then had flickering in WOW.
I read in here to disable triple buffering and tried that, and it almost fixed it! Reduced flickering textures by like 95%.

I don’t know how that setting would have any effect on textures…guess Nvidia is to blame here!

Any update? Thanks for reaching out to Nvidia.

I reached out on their Twitter support asking if there was any update and linked this thread and got no response.

I’ve wrote it a few times in replies but if I exit the client and restart it will minimize the flicker, this is for sure a driver issue with the game.

1 Like

Reverted back to 460.79 (12/09/2020 release) and it resolved the issue for me.

1 Like

It’s been almost a month now without a single acknowledgement from either Nvidia or Blizzard of this clear issue affecting almost every player with 10xx-30xx card and 460.xx drivers.
I guess at this point it is fair to say that do not care and it won’t get fixed unless some big streamer talks about it.
That is now most companies operate nowadays I guess, ignore 99% of your customers until one of ‘chosen people’ is also affected by the issue.

2 Likes

same issues here, i get A LOT of flickering in Bastion.

RTX 2060 here. updated to latest driver, win10 with the new patch that allows WOW to run raytracing. all of it is enabled in my wow settings.

Getting lots of flickering too, regardless of settings. I run the game maxed out at 1080p though in DX12 with 2x MSAA. i7-7700k GTX 1070 16gb RAM installed to SSD, driver 460.89

I doubt that Blizzard is to blame here.
More concerning that Nvidia doesn’t seem to care especially considering WoW is not such a small game by player numbers…

1 Like

I spent hours and hours troubleshooting and then literally bought new hardware thinking my pc was dying, and it fixed nothing. I am fairly enraged.
Also, I reverted all the way back to 456.71 and still get flickering unless I switch to dx11.

Hey Indie company called Blizzard, fix your doodoo.

Heavy flickering on tree/wood & Rock textures in Ardenweld only. The steps to reproduce are:

1. be in ardenweld
  2. turn camera (some angles the flickering goes away. moving the camera slightly brings it back.
  3. Re: Shadow quality testing - flickering is the worst on ultra high settings. dropping down in quality reduces the amount and intensity of textures that are flickering. Lowest setting seems to fully resolve the issue.

Nvidia driver 460.89
EVGA 3080 Ftw3 ultra

Windows 10 build: 19042.685

Same issues here on both 1070 and 1650 mobile. Lowering shadow quality makes it better but it still happens. Happens in any zone but most noticeable in darker zones like Ardenweald. On 460.89 on both computers.