[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

Hello, throw my 2 Cents in. I59600K - RTX2070 here. Rolled back to 457.51 driver made the flashes smaller and faster but still flickering. Very noticeable flying through Bastion, rocks and paved pathways really flash with polygon shapes. My FPS seemed to suffer rolling back the driver as well. Hope this is fixed soon.

Also having the same issues since the two new driver updates. Doesn’t happen in every zone but it’s getting more and more annoying.

On a Dell G3 3579 Laptop, with a 1050Ti & i5-8300H CPU

DXDiag: https://pastebin.com/CWfJs0Q4

So I rolled back to previous drivers and thought the issue was fixed but it is certainly not. In some areas of Ardenweald the graphics are going absolutely bonkers.

1 Like

So I narrowed it down for me. It seems like if particle Density is set to anything higher than “Good”, it flickers. Everything else is back to max settings and the flickering is still gone. Hope this helps people!!! :slight_smile:

RTX 2070 Super
Ryzen 7 3800x

Edit: Flickering came back during a cut scene but now that the cut scene is over, flickering has stopped. Still seems like particle density is still the culprit. Noticed flickering happening a lot in Ardenweald than in other zones.

1 Like

I’ll add, I’m on 460.89 drivers, R9 5900X, RTX 3080. I had to disable ray traced shadows, set Shadow Quality to Low, and Particle Density to Good for the flickering to almost completely stop. Any one of those settings increased would increase the flickering amount.

Hmm. This seems to have worked for me too, the question is why does it work?

NVIDIA just broke something again, was using 452.06 Studio Drivers, which were fine until I had to install 460.89 Studio to fix the tree/bush bug in Cyberpunk…

1 Like

I tried various things suggested here and nothing worked until switched to DX11, then the flickering stopped. I believe there are reasons it’s not best to run DX11 but it seems okay for now. 1080ti, 460.89 drivers.

Running a EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra+ Overclocked. Had really bad texture flickering in Maw & Arden. Cloned my raid settings so Shadows set to Low & Part. Density to Good and seems OK atm doing dailies and such. I did try both DX11 options, but I have too many FPS spikes so I went back to DX12. I also still have Triple Buffering enabled…

If you find yourself on this thread - ROLL BACK TO 457.51 Nvidia drivers!
All WoW settings work just fine on 457.51, it’s not a WoW settings issue.

But then a certain game I won’t name here isn’t going to work. I’ve reported this here and to nVidia, by the last blue post they have reported it to nVidia as well. Hopefully the next nVidia update fixes it.

Exiting the client and re-opening it will minimize the flickering to almost nothing or barely noticeable. The problem with that is when you change zones you might have to do it again.

I can confirm turning shadow to low works for me as well, i have a nvidia gtx 1080

I’m gonna give this a try, see how I go.

Just chiming in I have the same mass flickering issue. Very noticeable while flying.

i9-9900k
RTX 3090
Drivers: 460.89
Ray Tracing: Off

Sorry, yes, that is a very very fair point and I don’t mean to exclude this group of people. For sure my preference is that Nvidia fix the driver!

Setting shadows and particle density to low/off reduced my flicker. But nothing removed it except for rolling back to 457.51.

Same massive flickering issues.

RTX 3080
Drivers: 460.89
Ray Tracing: Off

nVidia RTX 3090 and Ryzen 9 3900 XT on an Asus ROG STRIX B550-F.

Cannot run DX12.
Excessive flashing in Bastion and excessive heat and LOW fps elsewhere. Frequently into the 20s for fps.

DX11 almost cured the problems. Cooler, no flashing, still too low of fps for this GPU but not into the frequent stutter range.

Ray Tracing costs around 20 fps – so have to play with it off.

nVidia needs to fix this or they’ll get another returned card.

My ten year old system runs better than this one. No reason to buy newer nVidia cards at all.

It’s important to note FFXIV experiences the same problems to a slightly lesser degree - but enough to safely say this isn’t a Blizzard problem exclusively.

haven’t noticed any flickering, but i noticed everything taking forever to load- the launcher, the game, the character screen, etc. then i noticed it seemed like every program was taking forever to load.

i rolled back to the *.51 drivers- my computer runs like new, and the game loads like it should.

Flickering is bad enough to give me headaches badly anytime I go to ardenweald, which sucks because two of my characters are night fae.

1660 Ti card here

horrendous flickering as well, nvidia drivers 460.89, GTX 1080. flickering happens on shadow settings fair to ultra high, they are worse as the shadow quality is turned down, no flickering on low. changing the orientation of my camera can stop the flickering.