[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

i have a GTX 1650 MaxQ, 460.89 drivers and it happens a lot around spires of ascension. It just started happening randomly at the end of the key.

my dumb but updated to the new driver today and now im seeing this flicker, doesn’t matter what shadow setting’s is set at.

Yes same issue for me since 460.79 drivers. Flickering occurs regardless of shadow quality or tabbing in and out of the game. I run a 2070 Super. It’s very consistent across all zones and indoor environments and dungeons. API = DX12

I’m having the same issue. It’s really bad in Revendreth. At first I set my shadows to low and it seemed to help for a little bit, but the then it came back. My issue also started after that driver update.
EVGA RTX 2080 Super
32GB RAM
i9-9900K

Same flickering issue occurring even on latest nvidia drivers - RTX 2080

It wasn’t until I also turned off triple buffering that the majority of my flickering issues went away.

Shadow: Low
MSAA: none
Triple buffering: Disabled

I still seem artifacts in the character screen, a bit like unstable textures, flickering a bit with the bump map.

RTX 2060 Super with latest drivers

Had this too, rolled back drivers and all is well.

Question for those that are technically minded and may have had a similar experience in the past.

I used to have an issue in Diablo 3 with textures and the only way to fix it was to use an old driver. What I recall is being able to put a copy of the DLL file into the Diablo 3 folder and then when the game launched, it loaded that old driver instead. As a result I was able to keep the most current driver installed for all my other games but Diablo 3 loaded the old file from the D3 directory.

Will something like this work for WoW?? Does it look for drivers the way Diablo 3 did?

I finally gave up on either Blizzard or Nvidia fixing this so I rolled abck to the 12/09/20 460.79 driver and it’s fixed.

Did u guys report this bug for nvidia?

Rolling back drivers did not fix this issue in all cases for me. It did fix the foliage in Maldraxxus but flying into Bastion still does it. I’ve tested with both 1080ti and 3080fe. It does not do it to the whole screen, just specific environmental items.

I’ve been using Bastion flight path from Oribus as a test. For whatever reason that’s where I see it consistently on the rocks. I was able to get the flickering to stop when I switched from graphics level 10 to 3 on the 1080ti. Setting to 4 and flickering came back on that flight path. The 3080fe flickering came back going from 6 to 7. It gets worse and worse the higher the setting. As far as I can tell it’s when it’s trying to fill in environment details. It’s definitely worse on the 1080ti than the 3080fe. 1080ti the far background sky would flicker like crazy, I had to turn down because it was giving me a migraine.

Sorry given the holidays don’t have time to track down the specific setting or post dxdiag. Hopefully in a few days.

Random question, this isn’t the first time had problems with nVidia drivers. Getting rather annoyed at the QC. Does AMD have the same issues? Anybody tried the new 6k line?

Switching to DX11 made it stop, and switching back to DX12 the problem did not recur.

I have the same issues with the rocks in bastion when flying overhead. The new hotfix driver did not help anything and by the sounds of the last blue post they have notified NVidia.

When I zone in I have noticed that exiting the client and starting it again will minimize the flickering but once I change zones it usually comes back, its a 50/50 thing but that is how I’ve been “fixing” the flickering for now. You can swap from DX12 to 11 and back and that will also temporarily fix it, it almost seems like this is happening on first draw or load since exiting the client and reopening while in the affected zone will minimize or reduce the flickering similar to how changing DX settings will.

Having same issue GTX 1080ti drivers are updated.

I fixed this issue by removing my FPS target. Adjusting other settings did not appear to have the desired effect. I restored my settings to what I had before and turned off the Target FPS setting and have no more flickering. This is on a Nvidia GTX 1080 with the 460.79 release driver.

1 Like

Fixed by rolling back driver. 460.79 or older.

began happening to me as well after updating to 460.89. ardenweald was a light show of trees. one of the drivers in-between seemed to help but just a few less textures like mining nodes flashed.

downgrading back to 457.51 appears to have resolved it without tweaking in game settings.

additionally i noticed quite a performance hit in fps with the most recent driver. 10-30% less fps.

gtx 1070 on an asus pg278qr with g-sync enabled
i7-4790k

pretty simple to find older drivers here

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

1 Like

Same issue here. The only thing that fixed it was to turn shadows to low.

1070 SC
.79 and .89 both doing the same thing .

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-EJcEqm2is

dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/RUJP2ERg

Hope it helps

Yeah I’ve been getting the flickering hardcore. Turning shadows to Low just makes it flicker less frequently, but still flickering. This is almost nauseating how bad the flickering is. 460.89 is the driver I am on now, and the previous version also was horrible.

GeForce GTX 1080

RTX 2080, been having the same issue