[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

EDIT: False alarm, I had on the target FPS option, so it was dropping quality on things to meet frame rate.

What I am getting at is for me personally, someone with a significant amount of disposable income, it seems that Nvidia has really been working very hard in the past 12 months or so to make sure I never want to buy anything from them again.

We’re not talking about an indie game that has 25K players here, we’re talking about the most successful MMO in the history of MMOs, one that just released an expansion at the end of last year and a bug that substantially diminishes the experience of the newest content for a large amount of players.

Whatever the issue and whoever needs to be involved in fixing it, it needs to be resolved. 5 months is not a reasonable service level for this. If it took me 5 months to fix a bug that affects this many people to this degree I would be tossed out on my Sylvan-a$$.

3 Likes

If it’s on, I turn it off, let the screen do it’s flash, and then turn it back on again. Mostly just letting the video reset it self by changing the setting. I also noticed I seem to get less if the Particle Density is set to Good rather than High/Ultra. Again, the worst is Ardenweld :stuck_out_tongue:

Idk if someone posted this earlier, I don’t have time to go through 700 posts, but I fixed this by either limiting my frame rate to 60 fps or changing the graphics card option in the advanced section of the system menu to my actual graphics card instead of auto detect.

That’s a different issue.

This one affects only Nvidia GPU users and has nothing to do with the GPU selector, since it affects computers with only one GPU.

After doing a ton of research on this topic and the pixelation issue, I think the root culprit of it all is the multiplane overlay system in Windows. It’s supposed to be a big increase in DX12 performance and Nvidia enabled it in their drivers in the 46X.XX series of drivers apparently. This is likely why the DX12 performance was much better in these drivers, but at the cost of having flickering issues. MPO has been around since Windows 8, but wasn’t really used until recently.

I didn’t read too much into the actual system, but apparently it has to do with things of different render scales being composited in the DWM and it seems like something might be going wrong in there.

I found out about it all because I work with UE4 a lot and was having issues with right click menus disappearing and the UI flickering sometimes. I’ve noticed Chrome does it too sometimes. Did some digging through other devs talking about the problem and they found it was mostly related to MPO. Oh and the regedit tweak floating around won’t fix the Nvidia driver level problem that’s causing it.

Definitely a case of Nvidia and Microsoft having to hammer this out, that’s why this is taking so long to fix.

8 Likes

If I had to guess, it might be the case that Nvidia is having much lower productivity fixing issues due to WFH. Fancy testing setups often require some degree of physical babysitting. Collaboration is also really helpful for fixing bugs, and on my (not Nvidia) software team collaboration is a lot more difficult to do remotely.

3 Likes

This has also been suspected for Blizzard’s software team addressing the large backlog of bugs in WoW. And if this driver bug requires collaboration between Nvidia, Blizzard, and Microsoft, it’s no wonder it hasn’t been fixed yet.

3 Likes

Can’t believe this is still here like half a year later. Figured I’d update my drivers given how long it’s been because “There’s no way that stupid flickering bug still exists right?”

LOL Think again.

3 Likes

466.27 released today and still no fix :frowning:

1 Like

Came across this issue 2 months ago and still no fix, I had to revert my drivers back to 457.71, I thought SURELY there would be a fix by now and tried to update my drivers, nope. Man I am glad I don’t play any other games right now because I can’t even update my drivers.

Is it still in the notes as a known issue? I can’t believe it’s going on half a year and this is still an issue.

Yep, the reason why I’m still on 457.30

1 Like

I don’t know anything about computers so it’s really weird to me that what seems to be such a relatively minor issue (compared to all the extraordinary things that GPU’s do nowadays) is apparently so difficult to fix.

Anyone who knows what they’re talking about have an idea what might make this so hard to fix?

Scroll up, someone recently gave some really good detailed information on why this is happening. It’s not as simple as it seems and it could involve Blizzard, Microsoft, and Nvidia. given Devs are backed up from COVID this might be why its taking so long if its bouncing between 3 companies.

To new people on this thread… READ some of the recent posts, it will likely answer your questions about this issue.

2 Likes

Still a problem with 466.27 if anyone was wondering.

2 Likes

sadly yep, thx for checking it out. I mainly updated for upcoming Metro update :slight_smile:

There’s an update from 466.11 to 466.27 today. It did not solve my audio issues, after further investigation the issue is with Windows 10. Only Microsoft can fix it.

I do hope it helps with the flickering issue.

I’ve gotten tired of having to deal with this and no longer want to use the old graphics drivers. I finally just created an addon called Resetti so you can type /rlg and it will reset the graphics and temporarily fix the flickering issues for a little while. It only takes about a second for the graphics to reset and I’ll take it with the graphics performance increase of the new drivers.

I added in the ability to reset the audio too with /rla (because when I switch windows sources, wow doesn’t pick it up until I somehow reset the audio source).

1 Like

i just have a macro for the gfx api reload