Mages, you all need Tome!

Honestly, I would be surprised if it did. When they changed Shifting Power to deal arcane damage they initially forgot to whitelist it to work with the Arcane mastery. The Arcane mastery specifically states “all arcane damage” in the tooltip but it only means mage spells that deal arcane damage for the most part.

You could easily test it by switching specs and seeing that Shifting Power did the same amount of damage with all 3 specs when it should have dealt a considerable amount more as Arcane. I don’t see why the same test wouldn’t work for this as well. I can try it and report back.

1 Like

This one is a little muddy, unlike shifting power, it uses an existing spell(arcane barrage) and details seems to even combine them at times, its hard to say, I agree that it seems like it does.

1 Like

Just hit 40 runs of av.

Got the fractured heart 3 times, gloves x6 and bracers x 5.

Still no tome.

Ive run av all week and am going to give up soon lol

1 Like

Oh man, that was me last season looking for branch. My hope for you is a nice mythic version from the Vault tomorrow.

Yeah, that’s a bug with Details, I reported it but I don’t think it’s a priority, lol. It uses the same name “Arcane Barrage” but it has a different spell ID and uses another icon too (and also looks completely different, obviously). Details, however, reads them together for some reasons and lumps both into the same category under the trinket’s spell ID.

I ran the test I mentioned yesterday and looking at the game’s native logs the procs from the Tome hit and crit for the exact same amount in all 3 specs. If the Arcane Mastery applied to the procs they should obviously deal considerably more damage while you’re in Arcane spec. I tested on the same dummy without changing any gear, just swapping specs.

1 Like

Hate to say I called it…I just can’t even right now.

1 Like

Of course they’re nerfing it 12 hours after I get it :wink: … but hey, at least it isnt a flat damage nerf, it’s just # of targets, i can live with that since I rarely am in a situation pulling over 8.

Took me 30ish runs of everything from Heroic to +8 just to get 1 of the 2 I’ve been looking for. Fingers crossed, next week I can finally see CH. I still havent seen it drop at all in any run I’ve been in.

2 Likes

I was not awake last nigh when they posted that.

Did they at first even nerf the dmg of it too?

Sad :frowning: but understandable it was very good.

1 Like

Yes, they had a 20% dmg nerf on top of the number cap in the original post and I was ready to stop playing, to be honest.

1 Like

Pal i like your quick-postings.

We need a Mage poster for news and stuff with the same quality that Kalamazi does for warlocks.

Why don t you start a Youtube-Career? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was nerfed by 20% as well.

Still a good trinket. It was beyond broken.

Because an obviously over tuned trinket was nerfed?

It was so broken that melee dps and tanks were using it.

It was a typo, they won’t be nerfing the damage.

O cool. This trinket is def mage feeling.

I’m surprised it’s not getting an ICD

I did 50 runs of av and finally got it last night.

Did one run with it and it did over 50m damage.

Woke up this morning to the nerf lol.

Didnt even have it for 10 hours and only got to do 1 run.

2 Likes

Congrats though!

If they don’t change the damage (they said they aren’t) and only nerf the # of targets, it’ll still be solid trinket I think. I never trust them to let good stay good.

1 Like

Yeah im excited either way to have it.

Arcane can use the aoe help and I love how well it fits the spec vibe

The fracture heart felt underwhelming to me since i started using it.

2 Likes

On this note, I’d love to see the effect from Tome become a talent in our toolkit. Perfect for “improved mirror image” type talent that provides some additional utility to mirror image. The whole theme of the Trinket shouts “arcane mage!”

It’s TOO good. I hope they don’t nerf it. I would say on average it’s 7-12% of my damage in m+. And it’s great on spriest too, doesn’t get quite the same % maybe 5-10. Still farming for Umbreskul on my mage but now I’m wondering if it can actually compete with Tome? Those that have gotten Umbreskul, what is the damage breakdown compared to Tome for you?

1 Like

That’s where it gets difficult to compare. Umberskul (or as I call it “heart”) effect of “execute at 5% health” doesn’t get tracked in damage meters and is RNG dependent (needs to be up when mobs get to 5% health), so it’s really tough to get an accurate gage on it’s real impact in number terms. I also noticed it can “execute” bosses that are multi-pack bosses. So, for example, the first boss in Brak, if the stack is on them you can drop them at 5% which is millions of damage there (potentially) in value, but the DPS meter (Details anyway) won’t reflect that number, it can’t “see” it. I also had it trigger on the NO centraurs boss, which was weird, because one “died” while the other stayed alive even though they have a shared health pool. I was worried it was gonna bug out, but it let us finish off the fight, so that was good. Also Heart plays good with Tome, because the ticks/effect can trigger Tome, so that’s something to think about. I would take Tome over Heart, and I’m still searching to see if there is another pair with Tome that works even better. I think it was you that mentioned running Tome and Feather, which honestly might be a perfect combo, so I’d be curious to see if you like Heart better with Tome than Feather with Tome.