Mage tower overtuned

I never played legion, in fact, I stopped playing after Wraith. I only came back, May of last year, to try shadowlands.

When I first tried Mage Tower, I thought it was impossible; I even came to the forums to state this was the case. Overtime, I made it to the last phase of the challenge and only stopped because Blizz, in it’s…wisdom, made Mage Tower a time limited event. If I had another week, I would have gotten it.

One benefit, I received from playing the Mage Tower, was that I started to understand my class a lot better (I guess that’s the nature of the challenge, how well you understand your class?). I even got KSM this last season.

Now that it’s back, I can finish it. I would say keep trying, there isn’t a lot of solo aspirational content. You are better than you think. Good luck!

It’s so hard, the Agatha just despawns as soon as I go in…

honestly though, not sure what’s up :frowning:

I just went to try the Mage tower and ya, she despawns a few seconds after entering…

Considering that the people that were clearing it when they first release it were mostly equip with mythic Night hold gear, yeah it was released for the top players.

So no, is not harder now compare to Night hold, as most people wouldnt even have the gear to attempt to clear it back then, now everyone has a chance to do it no matter what gear they have.

I believe that I experienced this by having any sort of companion/pet present when attempting to zone into the encounter or actually zoning into the encounter.

Yes, and if they can’t do it in their current gear then they have the super relaxed, casual-friendly option of doing a few legacy raids to increase the player power.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the challenge level it’s at, considering it’s now a permanent addition to the game. :slight_smile:

I was playing in Legion and my recollection is that most people found it very difficult in the early part of its release. There were people coming out of the tower almost in tears after using up all the items required (whatever they were called) to access the fights. (At least this time around you dont need to grind for those things, you can just walk in.)

It was certainly a great deal easier at the end but was a significant challenge early on.

I remember doing mage tower when it first came out. took me over 300 tries to complete it on my paladin at the time. didn’t do it again till the end of legion on a few of my other characters. Not sure I want to go back. Does this tower even give the weapon appearances still or is it just another fancy suit of armor that won’t show off my “good points”?

Recolor tier set from Legion and werebear, but you get a cool mount for clearing all 7 encounters.

and you always state ‘nuh uh I never out leveled it/out geared it’ the entire time. Amazin’.

Learning mechanics and such, sure. In world ilvl gear and not raid gear, sure. Not having certain leggos, sure.

If they had raid gear, and especially if they had a good leggo it became much easier.

Nethershards, people were gated heavily by either having to farm this stuff or do WQ dailies for them yes. But if you look at the old stats there were pretty high numbers of people that defeated it on first pull. The mage tower was also only sometimes up when it was fully built.

In 7.3 the mage tower was always up and didn’t require nethershards, either yes.
Which I suppose is quite comparable to now given everything. Mage tower always up, no cost to get in.

I beat it on first pull, without raid or M+ gear on my main and then some alts I got with under 10 pulls. Guardian druid was included in that, but I had luffa so.

So, it’s not worth it then. Being a werebear sounds neat but I don’t play Druids so I can thankfully pass on this tower.

Lets say I did, who cares? It just make it even sadder that people are not able to do it while using a full set and op trinkets/consumables.

Like I mentioned in previous threads like this, what people that seem to counter how its “meant to be hard”, yes. We understand that. We get its meant to be difficult in the era of 7.2, and it made things easier around 7.3.

It seems, however, no one is taking into account the SYSTEMS that were in place in which the mage tower assumed you had access to that did make the tower POSSIBLE. Even in 7.2.

-Legion Artifact
-Artifact Empowerment
-Legendary effects
-Set bonuses
-Particular food that helped your speed
-Old racial abilities (These were changed during BFA’s beta)

As of now, we’re going into Mage Tower practically naked. Nothing but scaled-down stat gear with extra sockets. Woop-de-do. So yes, it IS overtuned because everyone is technically undergeared.

Edit: Mind you, this is a view from someone who did Mage Tower when it was content. Both in 7.2 and then on.

4 Likes

Plenty. If you want to talk about it being ‘tuned correctly’ and ‘just a challenge’ then you’d do it on a level 45 with no enchants/consumes/no special stat gear.

This silly argument again, no we are not the same as being naked. The numbers would not add up, Blizzard is taking into account us not having those system in place when they scale us.

We would do little to no damage, if the encounters were balance around having those in any way shape of form. For some specs they would need to do double or triple the damage they do right now, if the encounters were balance around having all those systems.

I mean… you can look at my achievements. Or my gear. Or my post history, I talked at length about it at the time.

I can say I did, but you wouldn’t believe me. So whats the point? For the record I did do the bear one on a level 51 druid, with a couple of green items I bought from the ah. I did use some enchants thought, so that might be “cheating” in your eyes, please forgive me.

1 Like

you’re trying to bring evidence to a feelings fight.

2 Likes

That’s my mistake, I guess I shouldn’t do things people have convinced themselves is impossible.

The way it is at the moment is that its active during Shadowlands, but Shadowlands gear is nerfed down to a supposedly similar level of the MT during Legion. But in Legion we had Artifacts, legendaries and often raid gear as well as appropriate consumables.

Perhaps the best way would have been to buff the MT fights and keep gear as it is now. That way there would have been confusion about appropriate difficulty and no fussing around trying to twink it in old gear.

The problem is that they want it to be the same way going forward; so whether you do it now or in two expansions from now it will be the same level of difficulty. So it was done this way in order to reduce the amount of work they would need to do on it to keep adjusting it for new expansions. Its a bit of a mongrelization and I doubt they want to fiddle with it much because their philosophy for it seems to be a Bargain Basement Mage Tower return.

I dont think I said that but hey, you just carry on misreading my words.

Obviously a lot of people.

Carried by gear? What a weird concept.

It is challenging content, I never denied that. You just seem determined to bulldoze through to your main contention ignoring everything else along the way. Carry on.

2 Likes