Mage changes coming next patch

I guess. I would have expected something of ‘Rallying Cry’ sort of spell where it affects the whole party/raid and not just 3 people. We’ll see how much action it’s going to have.

Meteor’s artwork looks beautiful. It would be a shame to see it leave the game entirely.

I think they should make meteor a fire-only spell. Also make it so it fires instantly… no waiting for several seconds for it to hit with a ground effect advertising where it is landing. Maybe even give it high AOE damage and make it an alternative AOE option to ignite spreading.

3 Likes

Not sure yet, but still seems like Arcane is stuck with the horrible CD-stacking gameplay.

1 Like

It won’t be nearly as bad now that RoP is gone but as long as RS, Harmony and the other general SL nonsense like Siphon Storm, etc. remain it’s still going to be an issue as will our ramp-up problem.

All of these extraneous damage multipliers need to be merged in with other cooldowns like Arcane Surge and TotM or removed altogether with baseline damage boosted to compensate. Basically they need to do the same thing to Arcane that they did with Retribution which had the exact same sorts of problems.

I guess time will tell how far they’re willing to go to make things right. But honestly, for right now, just the fact that RoP is history and we’re getting Mantle of the First Kirin Tor is enough to buy them a lot of good will with me.

6 Likes

In a vacuum, I can see Ice Cold (the ice block change) being useful. Assuming that it still works with Cryo-Freeze, that’s a 70% damage reduction and a 40% heal. That’s big. It’s possible to use that through a mechanic and end with more health than you started with. I’m not sure about this raid tier yet, but I’m sure there are plenty of cases where a damage reduction for 6 seconds could be better than an immunity.

Outside of the vacuum, I don’t know if I can justify the 4 points I’d have to spend to get it (I don’t see myself wanting to take Frigid Winds, Freezing Cold, or Ice Ward). We already have greater invis, which is a slightly smaller reduction (60%) for half the duration but with about half the cooldown.

I love the idea of it (reminds me a little of Evanesce). I feel like I would genuinely consider taking that fight-to-fight or dungeon-to-dungeon. However, the talents between Ice Cold and Tome of Rhonin will need to be better for me to justify it.

Mass Barrier is something I’ve been wanting for a long time. I’m with everyone else that it’s not as good as I’d hoped since its only 3 allies and not the raid, but I like that it’s a 2 minute cooldown. Even if it doesn’t benefit from the rest of our barrier-related talents, a 100k shield on everyone but the tank could be BIG in M+. In raid, if you’re coordinated enough, keeping close to someone with a little less health or popping on someone who needs to run out a mechanic before they run could also be wonderful.

I know there will be arguments that it’s DPS loss because you need to blow a global to cast it, but I don’t subscribe to that. The ability to bring more to the table is a really interesting idea for me.

Lmao, fun fact… I just went to the PTR to see the actual tree assembled, and tested. The spell is bugged and shields everyone, npcs including in a 40y radius

2 Likes

PVP is one of them, assuming it’s not dispelled, is a great defensive when melee catches with you and starts using their major hitters.

In raids, the best application for this is probably the soak mechanics that need more than 1 person. If it benefits from the barrier’s talent modifiers, this can be huge with arcane’s magic damage reduction.

Absolutely agreed. 100k shield plus 25% reduced magic damage on a magic-damage soak mechanic? That’s gonna be super nice.

Not to mention, looking at the talents in their currently proposed state, I don’t see much of a reason to not take Improved Prismatic Barrier. So I don’t think I’m going to feel bad about putting a point into it.

If I’m reading this correctly, surge didn’t really get buffed - the talent that buffs it is now just baked into it. So it’s not buffed, but we save a talent point.

2 Likes

Not a bug, it’s working as intended, shush! :joy:

1 Like

[Arcane Power] node was removed and baked into [Arcane Surge]. They’ll probably still have to figure out how to bake in the damage lost from RoP.

2 Likes

Oh I see. Thanks for the input. I don’t really play Arcane. Well in that case my point where 15% damage buff when burst is not active fire/arcane just don’t care still stands. So this will severely kill their burst profile. Which was a pretty valuable nieche that Arcane mage had over other classas especially when it comes to progression. So if this is not adressed this could overall hurt mages on the high-end.

I guess we can’t have the cake and eat it too. But we’ll see.

1 Like

Since they’re willing to bring a more conventional rotation to aoe (the shoulder legendary and echo are back, baby!) I’m hoping they apply the same philosophy to the single target rotation.

I’m not sure the siphon storm change and removal of Rune are enough to change that.

This reminds me of that time I bought my kid mario party after he had been asking for it forever, and then when he finally got mario party he just complained that he wanted smash brothers now. Hes definitely not getting smash bros now on principle.

This rework shows they are trying new things and listening. At least wait until the patch before complaining. If they realize the mage community will never be happy no matter what, they will invest zero effort in the future.

“RoP gone? DpS loss!”
“New capstones suck, bring back the old capstones that I hated and also sucked”

Unbelievable.

1 Like

I think some comments may be whiny, but some may be valid. Saying the new capstones are underwhelming could be valid feedback, for example. I can’t say, because I haven’t been playing mage due to RoP being required. I’m pretty excited to see it gone, though.

Also, I admit to some trepidation with any rework. The Ret pally rework was quite good, but the shadow priest rework basically ignored all feedback and ended up significantly less fun. I kind of wonder if mages will get the Ret treatment, or will they get the shadow treatment? Hard to know at this stage.

What I do know, is now is the time for feedback. If there’s any chance the devs are listening, best to get the comments out now.

1 Like

Literally nobody ever said anything like that.

3 Likes

I think our current capstones are fine just need work personally.

Meteor needs to do more damage, not split damage and have a stun on it possibly with its delay.

Shifting power should be its max conduit.

TA is great no complaints.

The real problem is Meteor/Shifting. If Shifting was its max power conduit and meteor was appealing they would both be fantastic capstones for what it offers.

I get shifting is nature and fae and we don’t like it thematically but its usefulness would be undisputed.

Well Meteor is removed and Shifting is moved up to where IF and RoP was. So problem solved I guess?

Yea, it was you. You did right here:

"Also removing RoP and just a flatline 15% damage buff is nice i guess, but it will hurt Fire/Arcane a bit, since they don’t care about the 15% dmg outside their bursr and losing 25% during their main burst so I’m still looking forward some tweaking there.

The 3 capstone talents feel weird aswell. Ice block no longer immune is meh… the 3 people get our pretry weak barriers is also meh maybe rework it that we get all 3 of our barriers regardless of spec, and the mass invis is PvP only."

Mmm. I don’t think pruning meteor was necessary unless they plan to return it to fire baseline or in fire tree upgraded.

Its still one less tool for frost/arcane. I stand by the better solution was to buff/rework the ability itself.

Shifting being moved is fine but a better talent node would have been Choosing ice cold or ice block as a choice node. I’d almost like to see Deathborne or Mirrors in its spot if we had to go with a former cov ability.

Meteor should have stayed and just made a 1-2 minute CD with much bigger damage + no split with a stun attached to its impact and possibly a MS effect on the flames to justify a larger CD. Throw on a graphical reskin to make it up to date with modern stuff and presto new shiny