M+ DPS Balance Per Spec 9.2

Yes, make tanking even less appealing.

I understand your goal of wanting balance, there are serious balance issues. However this thread is full of bad takes and misinformation. Blizz has the data if they want it, it’s their servers. They need to start using it better.

For example and I don’t think much else is needed: There are so many specs that are awful in a 15 because the mobs don’t live long enough at all for them to ramp into their damage, or others that sustain damage on longer pulls and the heavy burst specs tend to fall off.

Then there is the issue of survival and destro being minor, and overstated outliers. Are those specs to be punished? The people who max geared them to be punished? I think the answer at this point of a patch is stop nerfing specs. Find ways to make the ones that feel bad to play better instead of killing off the ones that were actually designed well. Boomie was designed well and now it’s a dead spec. It’s sad because what would have continued to be an option for players this patch isn’t. They could have uncapped blade flurry, but outlaw is a dead spec. Their whole approach of making good specs bad instead of rotating the good ones around like were lab rats is old.

Survival has better single target damage than BM though.

Blizzard can design dungeons that get the most out of any damage profile.

They need to consider what damage profiles will be best for their dungeons when balancing and designing the specs. For better balance.

1 Like

No it doesn’t.

And then hybrids will be complaining a spires have the option to swap specs depending on dungeon.

There is never going to be a perfect balance.

I agree that trying to scale fights down to more realistic situations would be a very unpopular solution at this point. People are used to the super hero type combat now.

People keep bringing this up over and over and over and over.

And I keep showing some performance data between 15’s and 20’s and for the most part the difference is negligible.

But here we go again.

Survival Mist +15, 25th best parse 19,328

Survival Mist +20, 25th best parse 19,558
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/25#metric=dps&partition=3&class=Hunter&bracket=20&spec=Survival&boss=12290

Assassination Mist +15, 25th best parse 11,461
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/25#metric=dps&partition=3&class=Rogue&bracket=15&spec=Assassination&boss=12290

Assassination Mist +20, 25th best parse 11,112
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/25#metric=dps&partition=3&class=Rogue&bracket=20&spec=Assassination&boss=12290

I’m sure there are some specs that might do significantly better or worse in higher keys, but the data just doesn’t look to support this as a meaningful trend. I assume the purpose of these types of arguments is that specs somehow have balanced performance in higher keys. If we just keep looking under rocks eventually we’ll find that balance.

I strongly suspect part of the problem is balance isn’t the goal. It’s used to meet other goals.

You just compared a burst aoe spec to a single target spec. Apples to oranges man.

You’re data is legit worthless.

1 Like

Simcraft has survival > bm on single target and bm is only slightly ahead of survival on Skolex + Halodrus heroic but melee will lose uptime compared to range on those fights. If BM has better single target than survival it is by an insignificant amount.

Sure. But that’s impossible. Think of balance as the differences are so small that no one cares about them. If the difference is 100 dps no one will care. If the difference is 1000s of dps that’s a big deal.

Weekly tuning helps this. Cause you can dial into small differences.

Sim craft is wrong.

Balance has to be taken into reality. Not every spec is going to thrive on mythic plus.

Weekly tuning doesn’t change a class that lacks burst aoe.

But it could. That’s the point.

There are still other factors. How skilled at assassination are the people actually playing it?

This is one spec, so great, you’re finding one that is performing the same in your specific set of criteria. What’s it look like across the board? I know for a fact demo lock and balance Druid perform better as keys go up. I imagine affliction would be the same. Then others will go down, warriors coming to mind immediately.

Then some specs perform better with others. If those sin rogues are with strong specs they’re still not going to see much difference in their performance. Also rogues aren’t expected to do damage, they’re there to make sure the keys run smoothly.

I also honestly don’t know if 20’s are even high enough anymore to judge the difference.

1 Like

No it can’t. Do you know what a damage profile is?

1 Like

Yes they could cause it buff spells that help that profile while leave others that don’t. Not just blanket buffs.

There is data on boss damage in keys but it’s problematic in few ways. The DPS is calculated as damage to boss encounter mobs over the entire key time. So it probably makes the hard hitting AoE specs look a little better since they can bring the entire entire time down. But if bringing the entire dungeon time down is significant enough to put the AoE specs at the top, maybe that matters more. Any rate, very debatable.

Eve if you were to buff multi shot or beast cleave BM would still have trash burst aoe.

I also love how you ignored the data.

And most groups don’t, but there’s always that spec that performs that way every season and it becomes a popular choice because people think their groups will be doing MDI pulls.

It is busted though. My Warlock was doing more damage than my Monk at 15 item levels lower, and WW is a good M+ spec too for overall meters.

I don’t do M+, but in my F&F guild attempts on Anduin, I’m usually a top of the meters until the Lich King phase. Then the true AoE specs fly past me as my 5 target capped blade flurry is woefully inadequate to deal substantial damage.

Back in WoD and Legion Blade Flurry was so strong. Now it’s pathetic. :disappointed:

Since I’m essentially looking at the 99th percentile I think we can assume skilled.

And here we go again.

Mist +15 balance, 25th best parse: 14,266

Mist +20 balance, 25th best parse: 14,210

Mist +15 demo, 25th best parse: 17,844

Mist +20 demo, 25th best parse: 18,446

You do know you can look at the data yourself and see if it supports your anecdotal experience before claiming it as fact.

I don’t think it’s deliberately misleading, because I don’t think OP understands why this data is useless.

2 Likes

Can confirm OP definitely doesn’t understand how useless this data is.

1 Like

Yes, they were. Calling them “borderline OP” is underselling how OP they were.

The ol’ “Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence” eh?

2 Likes