M+ DPS Balance Per Spec 9.2

Pretty much.

Plus, I don’t think OP realized that he’s linking logs to keys that were probably some kind of boost

2 Likes

Ya, any spec can … theoretically … but its WAY harder for specs that are doing substantially less dps with less utility than some of the others.

That’s what balance means. How close are specs … and, in M+, the answer is not very close.

1 Like

The problem with that statement is that not all damage done in dungeons is equal. You do a lot more damage to trash, but at 20 tyrannical your damage to bosses is a lot more important. Depending on the week and the dungeon it’s not uncommon for a group to have 2 boss killers and 1 trash killer (tyrannical ToP comes to mind) in that case, the trash DPS will have higher overall, but the 2 boss killers were more valuable in clearing the key.

2 Likes

Of recorded logs. Where do these players rank in regards to overall M+ score? Are they good in relation to the people doing 30’s or in relation to others of their same spec? The top players aren’t playing non meta specs.

Yup the countless keys I’ve run is what I’m speaking to.

I can look myself in around 8 hours, thanks for looking these up though. It’s much quicker to take a minute between meetings and respond than it is to do research I don’t have time for right now.

Added protection pally data. Turns out tanks are doing better than the bottom DPS specs.

Add more? I know there will be an issue with pre nerf bears.

I saw ramfam (team sheesh, rank 1 last season for anyone unfamiliar, works first 30 and 31) was messing around with assassination in some 27+ keys the other night so while the raw numbers may be true as always they don’t tell the whole story. Those boys wouldn’t waste time with a spec they thought was bottom tier.

Yea people don’t seem to get that.
First pull of halls is a good example
1 shard
5 normal guys.
5 little guys.

The pull finishes when the last mob dies so Idc about how hard people pad on them I care about how fast the shard dies.
Whose damage is more valuable there? The lock doing 100k even cleave or the rogue doing 40k almost all of which is to the shard. The rogue is the correct answer because its his damage that evens out the hp of the mobs and stops us having to single target fight the shard for a million health after we kill everything else. Never mind any extra thrashes that we can skip because of it too

The raw numbers don’t tell you that though.

3 Likes

I would also add that compared to raids, the percentage of M+ dungeons that are actually logged would be significantly less.

Realistically I would highly doubt that more than 20% of keys completed are logged, and I honestly believe that is being incredibly generous. I’d actually expect the number to be sub 10% if I’m honest.

1 Like

I’d also suspect that a disproportionately high number of publicly logged keys are some kind of boost. logs are a pretty good piece of evidence that a run happened, and a way to decide who gets a strike if it went poorly.

1 Like

I’d definitely say that is a pretty safe assumption.

1 Like

Well that didn’t take long. Only a couple weeks in on this survival hunter and already putting up better numbers than my cat.

This is one of the problems with this extreme lack of balance. Skill only gets you halfway. The game is already really good at tricking players into thinking gear progression is personal skill growth. Is it tricking people into thinking spec choice is also skill? Is that where some of this push back on balancing specs is coming from? People don’t want to admit that the 4k DPS difference is nothing more than spec choice?

Sin Rogue is weak at AOE type content compared to others who do well in it.
More news at 11

1 Like

i see prot pally, missing a few more tanks bet more dps drop down the list.

blizz calls this balance

Yea given that every spec can and has done keys higher that what 99% of people will ever attempt it’s not too bad really. Considering there are so key variables I think they do a decent job really.

1 Like

Got kind of a perfect anecdotle example of the current balance.

Well run 15 HoA with all DPS hitting the 75th percentile for the key.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YHGaQ72LfRKAzhrJ#fight=last&type=damage-done

Parsed 20% higher than the hunter for my spec who was also 6 iLvls lower and still ended up almost 4k behind in DPS.

Thats because all the best players in the world are rerolling to survival hunter atm. Take a player like gingi and put him on any spec he will skew the parsing. Multiply that out over every top level player and “normal people” will get low parses on the top specs.

Every spec is more than capable of doing keys higher than you or I will ever do.

Did I put viability in the title and miss it?

Thought I put balance. Which is different than viable.

The issue is that you’re trying to have single target specs doing the same overall as aoe specs. That’s not ever going to happen.

That’s why your data is worthless when you compare a sin rogue to a frost mage.

1 Like