Low lvl pet, high lvl hunter

I just tamed Broken Tooth 30m ago whom is 37, I am 60… Where is the best place to level thing thing at being melee is not a strong point? Cant think of anywhere with Raged attack only mobs. TYI

Just bring it with you to dungeons with it on passive.

2 Likes

Wont it have a Huge agro range?

2 Likes

Yes. Lol. You have to be super careful.

1 Like

You can stay back and shoot on pulls. Dismiss if you’re skipping anything its gunna aggro.

Bring plenty of food cause dismissing pet affects happiness pretty hardcore right now.

1 Like

I think you can level him up with mobs around his level.

they have to be green to you or the pet won’t get XP.

5 Likes

Find mobs that are around your level or slightly lower (51-54), preferably a high density of caster mobs and don’t use pet taunt.

Kill the caster mobs outright, kite the melee mobs with cheetah on. It will take you a while to get the pet to 60 (it takes about half the xp it takes you to get a level for your pet to get one) but just keep using him while you are farming easy stuff. You can finish the last few levels 52-60 in a dungeon pretty safely.

Grats OP on getting the legendary pet, after luck or alot of time… low level pets is abit anoying to level up, either bring to a dungeon, and let pet leech of the exps, atleast tank wont tell you that the pet is stealing their threat… or find a tank, and offer to help them adventure level up, you get a meat shield and they get dps…

Again, classic is a social experience, most things can be solved with people, and if you cant pvp them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

So where is some good Caster type mobs that will be green for me?

It’s time to take bad situation and make it worse.

Go level up your melee weapon skills at the same time.

9 Likes

There’s a number of undead casters in Andorhal. You can also kite mobs and it won’t be too bad.

At 60, I generally go to felwood to level weapon skills as a warrior. Mobs are green and i can take a beating while my skill raises. i’d assume you could do the same to level your pet without it taking too much of a beating between pulls.

1 Like

There are immortal mobs in Blasted Lands that are green that don’t really hit that hard, either.

The problem with a low level pet (especially that low) is that not only would they die in a few hits, they can’t hold threat. And Hunters do next to no damage if forced to melee, so they have to kite the mob.

I think the pet has to be involved in the fight for it to gain XP…

1 Like

The issue with a lower level pet and higher level hunter is that it’s slow going grinding mobs without the pet’s DPS and aggro to keep them at range.

I recently did the grind with a Worg from SFK for his 1.1 attack speed. It was level 19… and I was 37. (I had also just tamed Brokentooth… but we were same level so no issue there.

You have to kill mobs that are at least green to you… and the lowest you can go is 8 levels lower. Initially this is exactly what you want to do… Why? so you can kill it faster… a the pet will miss it’s attacks and cannot keep aggro.

Once you get within 11 levels of your pet… start killing mobs 3-4 levels above your pet… they will be within 8 levels of you then… but the pet can hold a little aggro and allow you to kill it faster and gain more EXP.

The more EXP YOU gain, the more it gains. So rested XP is VERY desirable… as you get double XP from those green mobs at first.

Another tip is to try and find areas with ranged mobs like casters, archers, or spear throwers. Why? Because they stay at range, and you put out more range damage than melee. They often have less armor so die faster. For example… Naga casters are good… they’ll hit you for nothing and die pretty fast. Don’t let your pet die… a dead pet will not get the EXP for the kill.

The fastest method is to run instances with a strong group… ones who could do well even without you there. Put pet on passive and stay well back form the group. You will get the most EXP, and thus so will your pet, with the least amount of negative effects from having to solo melee mobs.

6 Likes

It just has to be summoned and the hunter has to gain XP. It can sit on passive the whole time.

No. It just has to be alive, summoned, and within EXP range when the mob dies.

1 Like

Thanks Espur.

I would farm furbolgs or elementals. Mobs in the low 50s are of very little threat, while still offering great XP for a scrub pet. Magic elementals are a very easy farm if you are over their level due to resisting all of their attacks. Put max resist on that element to your pet to help it survive. For example, if you’re going with fire (ungoro mountain), then max fire resist on the pet.