Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

08/12/2018 05:40 AMPosted by Vozul
What's that green goop flowing through the canals of the Undercity?
It's described only as "poisonous sludge," and isn't given much more clarification. Presumably it's plague-related, perhaps a river of failed plague experiments, but there's nothing confirming this.

The Forsaken actually had a creature living in the sludge moats on the surface, called a Moat Monster. They actually trained it to kill Alliance. The creature only reveals a green tentacle when fed. It's unknown exactly what the creature is or how many tentacles it has.
1 Like
I have a question...

"Where do we go from here?"

The World Tree had been Ryu's home since BC when I created him and transplanted him there to farm for the saber mounts. Now... Well I couldn't find the vender... She may have burned in the fire. She gave me my first mount ever and I failed her in the greatest time of need....
08/13/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Ryufalcon
"Where do we go from here?"
Fight the good fight and destroy the tyrant that did this.
1 Like
08/13/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Ryufalcon
The World Tree had been Ryu's home since BC when I created him and transplanted him there to farm for the saber mounts. Now... Well I couldn't find the vender... She may have burned in the fire. She gave me my first mount ever and I failed her in the greatest time of need....
She might be next to the Embassy if that helps.
I'd like some advice as I'm working on creating a Shal'dorei warlock. This is what I have so far:

She was either pressured by her family into an apprenticeship she didn't want, or she was learning from an artist or scribe, who was secretly practicing fel magic.
Is it possible that she didn't realize exactly what kind of magic she was learning...and now it's too late?

My other thought is that perhaps the teacher's own demon helped her learn enough to break them both free of the instructor- but the demon (an imp maybe? or void walker?) is now bound to the student instead, who might be naive enough for it to manipulate. If this route is possible, then she'd almost be forced to keep studying and growing in power, just to keep control over the demon, or prevent it from controlling her.

Thoughts?
Fel magic is a little difficult to be... subtle. It smells like sulfur and death, produces mutations and tends to steer people into evil territory. I think the more interesting and realistic option of those two is the latter, where your character's teacher's demon helps her learn enough to break free.

I think this is more interesting because of the seeming reliance on what many consider a naturally evil being. Not all demons are actually evil, so maybe this demon is actually anti-Burning Legion, or maybe they give the impression they are but aren't actually, or maybe no one knows and it's left a mystery? The demon could teach her some Burning Legion secrets, forbidden spells and dark, unknown rituals that could lead her to some interesting places.

Which ever direction you take, I think a warlock with more of a "partnership" with a demon is always very interesting.
1 Like
(Ignore this post, I've found out the answer to the question I asked)
Firstly, I'd like to say how much I enjoy this thread! Such a great place to learn and clear stories before publishing.
With that being said, let's get on with the questions.
I've a story idea for a Sin'dorei archer that served during the Northrend Campaign, who deals with some major PTSD and other obstacles that culminate into his transformation into a Ren'dorei. Obviously, the Ren'dorei part wouldn't be so hard to write/plan, yet I've some questions about the campaign. How much of a, if any, ground presence did the Horde have in Icecrown itself? I understand it had major footholds throughout the rest of the continent, yet were the only major occupations through neutral parties? And if so, would they have accepted the help of a Horde archer?
Secondly, for another character, are Ren'dorei capable of having children? Or are they constantly replenished by the amount of Sin'dorei taking the plunge?
Thank you for any input you guys may have!
08/17/2018 06:38 AMPosted by Keelian
are Ren'dorei capable of having children?
I don't see why not. Nothing in lore that I am aware stating that they couldn't.
Or are they constantly replenished by the amount of Sin'dorei taking the plunge?
To my knowledge, canonically, all present Rendorei were turned at the initial incident on Telogrus. This would imply to me that the followers of Umbric were a significant number. That's not to say that more couldn't come along at a later time.

Unlike with the Lightforged, there is no detailed conversion ritual or infusion process explained. What happened was essentially an accident. A result of meddling with forces they didn't completely understand. Saved from a darker fate only by Alleria's intervention. It's not stated in lore but I feel it a perfectly fine logical step to assume that with the assistance of Alleria their infusion process could later be controlled, but again, that's just my assumption. One that I know others have made and I haven't seen any real push back on them for it.
08/16/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Cannibal
Fel magic is a little difficult to be... subtle. It smells like sulfur and death, produces mutations and tends to steer people into evil territory. I think the more interesting and realistic option of those two is the latter, where your character's teacher's demon helps her learn enough to break free.

I think this is more interesting because of the seeming reliance on what many consider a naturally evil being. Not all demons are actually evil, so maybe this demon is actually anti-Burning Legion, or maybe they give the impression they are but aren't actually, or maybe no one knows and it's left a mystery? The demon could teach her some Burning Legion secrets, forbidden spells and dark, unknown rituals that could lead her to some interesting places.

Which ever direction you take, I think a warlock with more of a "partnership" with a demon is always very interesting.

Thanks, Cannibal! The way you've described it- I'm liking the second option as well. What demon type or species would fit in this case? I'm intrigued that you said all demons aren't necessarily evil. I'd like to know more about that- can you share a reference or two to point me in the right direction?
How much of a, if any, ground presence did the Horde have in Icecrown itself? I understand it had major footholds throughout the rest of the continent, yet were the only major occupations through neutral parties?
It's not very well represented in-game, but questing throughout Icecrown seems to suggest that the Horde was establishing small camps all through Icecrown before reaching the Citadel itself. Orgrim's Hammer, the massive Horde gunship flying overhead, was also a main base of operations and where we know a few of these camps came from.

are Ren'dorei capable of having children? Or are they constantly replenished by the amount of Sin'dorei taking the plunge?
Cail detailed this wonderfully and I completely agree with his post.

08/17/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Amaraithea
What demon type or species would fit in this case?
Sayaad, or the succubus, are commonly known for their deceiving nature, though they tend to be overtly sexual in their methods of attaining it. If you wanted a more calculating demon in that position, an Observer or maybe a Felguard could fill the role, though that's bordering on "very powerful demon" territory. An Imp is always a good option as well, though they tend to have more... annoying personalities, than cold and calculating ones.

08/17/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Amaraithea
I'm intrigued that you said all demons aren't necessarily evil. I'd like to know more about that- can you share a reference or two to point me in the right direction?
It's rare, but some demons can maintain free will and actually fight the Legion.

All of Illidan's army falls into this category, as they served him and actively warred with the Legion, as well as all demons serving the warlocks in the Council of the Black Harvest and the demon hunters of the Illidari. Smaller examples exist as well, including Lothraxion who was Lightforged, Lorax, Vi'el, Daglop and Sal'salabim who defected and conduct their own, personal business, and of course Avrus Illwhisper, a satyr who redeemed himself in the eyes of Elune and was converted back to a night elf.
1 Like
I think I may have already asked this but, are there any good old school leather transmogs I can wear that will make me look and feel more troll? I've been looking through wowhead and coming up empty. I'm really happy with what I'm getting in BfA, so if no then that's fine. I'm bound to be getting a few options as I level, run dungeons and the like. I've just been envious of the plate, mail, and even a few cloth users with their sweet troll themed mogs.
I want to role play as Warchief and have people take me seriously please help:)

JUST KIDDIN!

Iā€™m loosely figuring out a RP for this guy, heā€™s coming to Wyrmst Tuesday:) HOWEVER! I want him to be a mean ol brute stinky pants ā€œGarrosh did nothing wrongā€ typical warsong clan orc. Would that work out? If not any suggestions? I mean he wonā€™t be too over the top to where itā€™s annoying and all he talks about is honor or for death. Thatā€™s just my starting point as of rn:)
Another question (I been reading through chronicles 1-3 so I might get more :P)

I know during the warrior class hall we die and get resurrected by the val'kyr because Oydn saw us as powerful weapons to him (I guess to wrap it all up).

So when warriors die do they all go to halls of valor, or at least us since we died and were granted life again? Or is it only specific to val'kyr? If so how would a warrior get in there before they died?
08/17/2018 07:42 PMPosted by Somre
I think I may have already asked this but, are there any good old school leather transmogs I can wear that will make me look and feel more troll? I've been looking through wowhead and coming up empty. I'm really happy with what I'm getting in BfA, so if no then that's fine. I'm bound to be getting a few options as I level, run dungeons and the like. I've just been envious of the plate, mail, and even a few cloth users with their sweet troll themed mogs.

There's some really neat options here. Play around with keywords in the name feature and see what you can find.
https://www.wowhead.com/outfits/name:tribal/race:8

08/18/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Ughash
Would that work out? If not any suggestions? I mean he wonā€™t be too over the top to where itā€™s annoying and all he talks about is honor or for death. Thatā€™s just my starting point as of rn:)
Wyrmrest Accord had an event back during MoP called the Hellscream Trials and it left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. In general, the whole "Garrosh did nothing wrong" Kor'kron-esque RP is overdone and I've seen those kinds of characters outright ignored by others just for being what they are. I'm not saying that that's right or that it's common enough to happen to you, but that's just the state the server is in right now. A lot of people steer clear of stereotypical, Garrosh-loving orcs, and they're done a lot on this server as well.

You're free to go down that route if you wish, but just be wary of RP common decencies, don't overstep and ensure everyone around you knows that your character is a pompous Garrosh supporter, and that you as a player are not.

08/18/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Ughash
So when warriors die do they all go to halls of valor, or at least us since we died and were granted life again? Or is it only specific to val'kyr? If so how would a warrior get in there before they died?
The only reason we went to the Halls of Valor is because we died doing something epic enough to catch Odyn's attention. Traditionally, he only allows the vrykul in to the Halls of Valor because they're his chosen people.

Originally, it was going to be that the Halls of Valor was a place of all warriors, and we were actually going to see Varian's spirit up there when we arrived, but all of this was scrapped in the Legion beta and never made canon.

As far as we know, the only non-vrykul in the Halls of Valor are the champion themself and whoever they brought with them up there (Eitrigg, for example).
1 Like
Ahh thank you!:) Iā€™m such a idiot too I forgot I was gonna make this guy Magā€™har >.< Another question then!

When Magā€™har orcs are Available to obtain, could I still roll one as being apart of the odd group that had the chicken pox and missed the mannorth drinking? Or would it be more fitting to stick as AU Orcs?

I guess right now we donā€™t know a whole lot what the clans in AU are up to.

Last 2 I promise <3. Do orcs believe in a type of heaven? Or do they just stick with ā€œlive by the sword die by the swordā€ and thatā€™s it?

Ik Iā€™ll get flak, but I really love Garrosh and support all heā€™s done. THAT SAID! Iā€™ll steer clear from giving him praise in game:).

Honestly not too sure what style I want now haha. I love the brute nature of orcs, but Iā€™m not too sure I want to RP like that all the time. Guess Iā€™ll just have to go get my feet wet and see what works for me:)

Could I still make my Magā€™har orc be apart of the warsong clan? Or would that not be so wise? Maybe Iā€™ll go with frostwolves since they seem more balanced and strong headed.

Thank you so much for the help btw means a lot:)
08/18/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Ughash
When Magā€™har orcs are Available to obtain, could I still roll one as being apart of the odd group that had the chicken pox and missed the mannorth drinking? Or would it be more fitting to stick as AU Orcs?
There's actually quite a lot of people who are RPing as MU mag'har from Outland, or those that Garrosh brought with him to the Northrend campaign.

Last 2 I promise <3.
Ask as many as you like. :)

Do orcs believe in a type of heaven? Or do they just stick with ā€œlive by the sword die by the swordā€ and thatā€™s it?
Sort of. Orcs on Outland believed that once they die, they go on to the spirit world and become a source of information and wisdom for their future descendants. There's a small line in Tides of Darkness where it's mentioned Kilrogg Deadeye still clings to "older" traditions from Outland, in which orcs believe if they die in battle, they will go on to an eternal battlefield of permanent challenge, but never failing.

A more modern belief system of that of the tauren. Many orc shaman acknowledge the Earth Mother and treat her as their deity, my orc included, actually.

Could I still make my Magā€™har orc be apart of the warsong clan? Or would that not be so wise? Maybe Iā€™ll go with frostwolves since they seem more balanced and strong headed.
MU Warsong are essentially defunct after Garrosh's fall. They're no longer an organized clan and any remaining members likely aren't public with their ethnicity. Frostwolf is a common route though and as they're still active, it's easy to maintain that clan-styled RP.
1 Like
I wonder if RPing a Gilnean officer who purchased his commission is acceptable. I'm thinking of having him placed in a unit that was wiped out in the Broken Shore with him being one of the few who survived. He is now poor with no place within his army to go and is pretty much over looked. This allows him to serve as a knight errant/adventurer while he picks his life back together and work on dealing with an almost Job like loss.

Purchasing rank within a army was a fairly common thing for ages, as it was a way to move up in society and it deals with younger sons. Having a character bank his fortune on something and having it fail adds to the whole slaughter he witnessed. I don't know if there is lore in this though. This also makes use of the Captain title from the WoD Shipyard achievement.

TL,DR: Can purchasing the rank of Captain in the Glneas Army only to have it backfire be acceptable?
Honestly that sounds like a fascinatingly fun story concept. I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
1 Like
Well I first thought that the war of thorns might do it, but I doubt that I could fit a Gilnean unit in that event and have it believable.