Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

08/18/2018 10:54 PMPosted by Whim
Well I first thought that the war of thorns might do it, but I doubt that I could fit a Gilnean unit in that event and have it believable.
The Battle of Lordaeron could work. It was sufficiently large enough believably fit a unit of Gilnean soldiers.
So, I'm exploring options and RP potential for Cailean going forward and I'd like some insight, thoughts, ideas, and opinions. I kinda feel like I'm in a strange new place with him and honestly I don't know what to do with him. I know what I want to do, but don't know if I should. Know what I mean? ...but let me first offer a quick review. If I may.

The short of it is that he grew up in... nah, on second thought lets skip over the historical bits and get right to the meat of it. Currently he was a scholar of anthropology with a focus on magical studies and sciences, an academic of the occult with a practical focus on shadow and void. All of this largely self appointed mind you, though I rationalize that he does have a few ties with the Academy in Stormwind, as well as any other similar organization that might be founded in Ironforge and formerly Gnomeregan. He'd led a long and eventful life, recently taking part in the Legion Invasion. I speak of him past tense because for a long while I'd been contemplating his death and in a recent forum RP development I finally made good on it.

I'd been RP'ing him for so long (since roughly Cata) that I felt like I needed to start something fresh, and it honestly just felt like a natural progression for him. After such a long life of personal pain and suffering, having quietly endured so much, he needed not only the rest but the reward of an afterlife. And I gave that to him. I kept him around ooc mostly out of habit and because I didn't know which character might take his place. Now, I don't want to divorce his forum persona with his character lore, nor do I want to retcon. I kinda feel that would be cheap on my part, so what happened in these forums is personal canon.

Come to discover, I can't let him go. I reasoned that I'm only going to keep him around as an ooc character. The one I main through expansions, collect things on and so forth. Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I can figure an interesting/compelling way to maybe bring him back. I honestly miss the little RP interactions I had with him in game. Cailean wouldn't come back in his physical form, so not a proper resurrection, and not as an undead being either.

I'm wondering if I can devise a way to have him return as a kind of solidified spirit that wanders Azeroth as a kind of watcher and witness to major world events as they unfold. Maybe he can still have a limited involvement, so long as his impact is minimal. A face in the crowd, noticed but seldom truly seen and rarely recognized. Shows up to perform a good deed and then vanishes. Think Dudley, Cary Grant's character from Bishop's Wife (1947), only not as godly powerful. Cailean would have some abilities that he's able to pull and manifest from both shadow and void, as a being partly (mostly?) tied to the Shadowlands. His power would be limited and he'd still be effected (perhaps much more so now?) by the void whispers.

Does any of this seem interesting? Plausible within lore? Too many liberties? What'cha think?

As a further note: For a long while I've had this idea for an npc-type story character, a Val'kyr Spirit Healer. I've not written much about it, but before Cailean's demise he'd been cultivating a strong connection with the Shadowlands. Attempting to walk it in longer intervals. He'd also had a deep personal connection with shadow and void, and due to this frequently saw spirits and communed with the dead in various ways. The banshee follower obtained during the Priest Order Hall became a distraught ancient elvin spirit Cailean helped put to rest during his time on the Broken Shore. She in turn tarried with him for a while to offer her aid and instruction in dealing with the other side. Through her Cailean made a connection with the Val'kyr Spirit Healer mentioned above and was working on striking a pact with her to obtain her aid, until his demise.

All of these things interest me as Cailean's writer, but I don't know how far fetched it would seem for a character that's being RP'd in game.
Greetings old friend, perhaps I have a answer to your problems... Know that death in wow is really just another step to other ways of rp, unlike the real world death in Warcraft is much less permanent with many ways to move around it...

You could bring something back that is Cailean but not. Homunculi are a good example of that, they can be legion or neutral party made so how it affects you can be varied. Your also a gnome, if I recall there has been a cloning in wow before but I may need to research that again, you could be cloned. Donā€™t forget you could be a android, Golem Lord Argelmach was such a thing with tech taught to him by gnomes.

These are all ways that besides homunculi are not undead, and even homunculi are a really advanced version of people making that is only technically considered undead.

Hopefully these help, just trying to give you some ideas. You donā€™t have to use these as a way to just remake Cailean without change, you could make these individuals conflicted of who they truly are. My homunculus is Gidgith, and in just a few new posts he will be finding out, he was never the real Gidgith all this time... What do you do when you find out you were made to be something, not by your choice.
08/20/2018 01:35 AMPosted by Caileanmor
08/18/2018 10:54 PMPosted by Whim
Well I first thought that the war of thorns might do it, but I doubt that I could fit a Gilnean unit in that event and have it believable.
The Battle of Lordaeron could work. It was sufficiently large enough believably fit a unit of Gilnean soldiers.
Thanks. I go over it with my RP Partner... I mean wife.
In answer to Ughash and Cannibal's earlier discussion about warriors and the Halls of Valour.

If you play through the campaign again you'll see that we don't actually die. We are brought up to the Halls on the verge of death. From memory the Val'kyr even notes this is significant because of who you are.

Side note: If you play as Horde you and Saurfang actually do intend to die here, and it's one of my favourite WoW moments ever.
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions! So, i was thinking of having my character, an undead rogue, to have served in the SI:7 before death. Having been sent into the Undercity for some reconnaissance, he was discovered, killed, then raised as a Forsaken after showing his capability. My question is, is this lore accurate? I assume that the Forsaken would want as much intel on the enemy as possible, and a newly raised SI:7 agent with valuable intel seems like it would be really wanted by the leadership. Also, would he be placed in any sort of organization in the Forsaken? Perhaps under Nathanos?
08/20/2018 02:23 AMPosted by Caileanmor
I'm wondering if I can devise a way to have him return as a kind of solidified spirit that wanders Azeroth as a kind of watcher and witness to major world events as they unfold.
Seems practical in the manner of being a ghost of some sort. Largely that's what Medivh seemed to be about, before being brought back properly. I'd say it depends how unique you want to press it.

Side question, does anything think it reasonable there might be Tidesages outside of Kul Tiras as well? Glad there is a competitive religion from the Light for Humans. But I wasn't sure if there was anything getting in the way of someone being trained abroad by a missionary or a foreigner being able to learn at the monastery before leaving.
08/20/2018 07:10 PMPosted by Malvarik
My question is, is this lore accurate?
Seems entirely plausible.

08/20/2018 07:10 PMPosted by Malvarik
Also, would he be placed in any sort of organization in the Forsaken? Perhaps under Nathanos?
Most likely the Deathstalkers, which are basically the Forsaken's version of the SI:7. They're led by an unknown Forsaken and conduct many operations against the Alliance.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Deathstalker
1 Like
Morning!

I've been drafting some lore to convert my main (the Panda Monk I'm posting under) into a RP character and I've come to love the idea of a pirate panda monk. My only hiccup is getting from Panda Land to Freehold.

My question is, what do Pandarns, particularly those on the Wandering Isle, do with citizens who commit violent crimes like murder?
08/22/2018 11:25 PMPosted by Aorasia
My question is, what do Pandarns, particularly those on the Wandering Isle, do with citizens who commit violent crimes like murder?
We don't have any lore on this to my knowledge, but my immediate assumption would be containment of some kind on the island. Presumably, you're hoping for exile though, which I think would be just as logical.
1 Like
The way I'm trying to style it is that she was sent to the Tol Dogor prison in Kul Tidas. Would that be feasible? This is post-MoP.
I'm trying to figure out how the Laughing Skull belief system works, and more widely how orc "religion" works in general. My biggest questions:

1. Orcs make references to ancestors and spirits in a similar fashion to religion, which is expected as they're shamanistic. What do orcs think happens to them when they achieve an honorable death? Such a death-heavy culture must have an awesome afterlife in mind. What about orcs who don't die honorably?

2. Why do Laughing Skulls wear their masks?

3. There's a Laughing Skull child with a mask in Gorgrond. Do they receive their masks at a certain age, do they receive them after their first kill?

4. What happens if a Laughing Skull's mask is taken off? By accident or by a victorious opponent?
08/23/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Aorasia
The way I'm trying to style it is that she was sent to the Tol Dogor prison in Kul Tidas. Would that be feasible? This is post-MoP.
Since MoP, and likely a while before that, Tol Dagor is a privately-owned prison by the Ashvane Trading Company, so to be housed there, your character would have had to have done something against the Ashvane family.

08/23/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Vozul
What do orcs think happens to them when they achieve an honorable death? Such a death-heavy culture must have an awesome afterlife in mind. What about orcs who don't die honorably?
It's mentioned in Tides of Darkness that Kilrogg Deadeye clings to "the old ways" in his belief system, which has generally been interpreted as the original orcish belief system. He states that if an orc achieves an honorable death in battle, they will go to a place of endless battle in which they face constant challenge, but always come out on top.

In reality, orcs who die on Draenor or Outland become spirits, drawn to sources of the Light, such as the naaru K'ure (KWUH-rey) who resided within Oshu'gun (aw-SHOO-goon), the orc's holy mountain. There, they resided in contentment and offered guidance and wisdom to shaman seeking them out.

Orcs who die on Azeroth go to the Shadowlands, as all souls do, where a few things can happen. Orcs who worship the Earth Mother (a large portion of orc shaman do, in fact) may come to her embrace, while others wander endlessly, also in a state of contentment. Those who die dishonorably would likely die with regrets, which almost always leads to being a vengeful spirit whose mind is stuck in a confusing limbo while they attack the living. These spirits are the ghosts, spectres and other souls we fight throughout the world.

Why do Laughing Skulls wear their masks?
Laughing Skulls get their name from the fact that, rather than flinching in the face of death, they prided themselves on laughing at it instead. Their distinctive skull-like masks are more than fancy facewear, as with "some proper incentive," anyone could be made into a Laughing Skull. It's a dig at the fact that when torturing enemies, they cause such immense pain that their foes laugh before they die, often leaving their faces in contorted grins and smiles.

There's a Laughing Skull child with a mask in Gorgrond. Do they receive their masks at a certain age, do they receive them after their first kill?
No lore on this. It seems to be more symbolic with the clan itself, rather than linked to small traditions within the clan.

What happens if a Laughing Skull's mask is taken off? By accident or by a victorious opponent?
It'd likely be a major point of shame for the orc in the same way that losing any battle would. Although Laughing Skull are always seen with their masks on, there's no clear lore on whether the act of removing them is itself against tradition, or if they just prefer to have them on all the time as an identifier.
1 Like
Iā€™ve asked this question before, but in the form of my own thread. Since Iā€™m finally starting to solidify my characterā€™s beliefs and morals, and just generally who they are, I figure Iā€™d ask again.

Iā€™ll keep it short. My character was born in Quelā€™Thalas a short time before the Scourge Invasion. Her and her immediate family survived and fled to Lordaeron, only to get captured by a group of Humans under Garithosā€™ command. They killed both her parents in front of her, and did other horrible things(to be clear, this was not an order from Garithos or anyone, it was just on the spot). Mithrandys was spared and she ran away from as long as she could. After a while she ended up in Stranglethorn(it took a while, obviously this child didnā€™t make a beeline to stranglethorn) starving and exhausted. A traveling orc found her and nursed her back to health, and he raised her from that point on.

Is there anything about this that seems off or would conflict with any of the set lore?
Seems plausible to me.
As Cail said, seems entirely plausible. Those humans would have to be pretty hateful of elves though, as even Garithos' views of them was known to be rather harsh compared to the rest of humanity.
1 Like
[Edit] Doh! This is Caileanmor :P I forgot to swap avatars. >.<
08/20/2018 03:34 AMPosted by Raveintis
Greetings old friend, perhaps I have a answer to your problems...
Just wanted to acknowledge your answer, Raeventis. I appreciate you suggestion. Initially I wasn't keen on the homunculus route, but I must admit that it's settling into a possibility. It might make for some interesting interactions, especially where my Demon Hunter is concerned. Cailean and Vesthi became very close over the course of Legion. They became a very effective combat team and personally were practically inseparable. They might as well have been an old married couple. Anyway, it's underconsideration.

By chance, if I do decide to go this route, can I tap you for some IC help and/or inspiration?
Question! For all and any...

If a Demon Hunter decided to join the Alliance Military, would they automatically be granted a rank and command right out of the box based on who/what they are?

If so, what might this reasonable rank be?

Reason for my asking, a story idea popped into my head on my drive home tonight from work. I imagined that after Legion and the War of Thorns, my Demon Hunter decided to officially join the Alliance rather than simply doing her own thing or becoming a merc. Personal motivations aside for the moment, she joins the Alliance Military and I wondered if because of what she'd accomplished as part of Legionfall fighting on the Broken Shore, in light of her work and accomplishments on Argus, and her rather positive standing with several other Alliance associated factions she'd aided throughout Legion, that she might be granted a preliminary command of a small unit. Nothing high ranking. Something mid level, or even low ranking to begin with.

I have this scenario in mind where she steps off a ship onto Zandalar, the first of her small band to make foot fall, and immediately they're in the thick chaos of battle. And she has to figure out how to accomplish her task while being a leader, and ensuring the survival of as many of her soldiers as possible. For someone who's supernaturally super powered, learning how to fight beside and lead just some other soldiers who may still be green might just be one of the hardest things for her to do right now. And she might just fail miserably, to the peril of so many under her command.

But anyway... Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
08/23/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Mithrandys
Is there anything about this that seems off or would conflict with any of the set lore?
Is there a reason you picked Stranglethorn? The entire thing seems generally plausible, but you acknowledge the difficulty getting there. Doing that amidst the Third War as a child seems a fantastical journey. Which is fine if that's your intent, but if it was a hand waved aspect (Stranglethorne as unimportant) then there are other others one could run into an Orc probably sooner.

08/23/2018 11:50 PMPosted by Caileanmor
If a Demon Hunter decided to join the Alliance Military, would they automatically be granted a rank and command right out of the box based on who/what they are?
I think the tricky part is distinguishing the structure of the Alliance military in general. My first instinct is that they'd be put in a special unit either of stealth units, other Demon Hunters, or Warlocks.

That said, we might be able to draw from Thassarian's experience. I don't have the Death Knight comic on-hand, but my understanding is that he had a kill a few random undead and they tossed him to the equivalent of Sergeant of Corporal pretty quick. Later he's helping High Captain Justin Bartlett in Icecrown. And in Cataclysm, he seems to command a number more men in the Battle for Andorhal. At the very least, it would seem likely a good Demon Hunter could rise quickly.
@Cali, it sounds somewhat plausible. But what tends to get you promoted to leadership roles in a structured military like the alliance is just that "leadership skills"

To rise for being a skilled killer, you tend to need it to be something that would inspire those you lead.

Audie Murphy as an example started as a low man and rose through the ranks through nearly suicidal feats. His first few promotions were based on this. While I'm sure he learned leadership from his promotions, the troops that he started leading followed him for his legend.

As a demon hunter your skills would probably be as revered but would also likely draw more fear than awe in your more rank and file squads.

Posting from my phone at work so sorry if that is not super clear or succinct.