Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

Lore Update!
It seems the speculation on blood elven aging is true. Blood elves appear to be biologically immortal, and only age and get frail from stress. This explains why King Anasterian was frail at 3,000, but why Alleria and Lorash look 20 at ages 3,800 and 7,300.
1 Like
08/02/2018 08:04 PMPosted by Cannibal
Lore Update!
It seems the speculation on blood elven aging is true. Blood elves appear to be biologically immortal, and only age and get frail from stress. This explains why King Anasterian was frail at 3,000, but why Alleria and Lorash look 20 at ages 3,800 and 7,300.

Hello blood elf Paladin Iā€™m planning on making, look at what lore opportunities have opened up for your backstory!
1 Like
Been struggling with a lore name for Middy here, a cursory search for male jungle troll names didn't give me a lot of information. Do you know any other good sources I could use, Cannibal?
08/03/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Midlight
Been struggling with a lore name for Middy here, a cursory search for male jungle troll names didn't give me a lot of information. Do you know any other good sources I could use, Cannibal?

You could peruse the list of all jungle troll characters in the lore and find some that inspire something you like:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Category:Jungle_troll_characters

Or you could use a name generator such as this one:
http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/troll_wow_names.php
1 Like
Is there any concrete lore on orc aging, both brown and green? I've heard that they become physically mature at age 12, but that may just be a consequence of fel magic.

I ask because the timeline of my character has her abandoned, Tarzan-like, in the wilderness around age 4 or 5 (~year 16). I wanted to know if:
1. She would have the physical maturity and manual dexterity to hide from predators and hunt (if orcs age faster, perhaps she would be the size of a slightly older child)
2. She would have been with her parents long enough by that age to speak fluent Orcish, not peon-speak (do orcs age faster mentally too?)
So, a few things.

08/06/2018 01:43 PMPosted by Vozul
Is there any concrete lore on orc aging, both brown and green? I've heard that they become physically mature at age 12, but that may just be a consequence of fel magic.
Orc aging through magic isn't an inherently green-skinned thing. It was done in few cases and simply took the body of a young orc, usually around the age of five or six, and forcibly aged them up to adulthood. If not specifically aged by a warlock through a spell, greenskin and mag'har orcs age at the same rate.

The rate at which they age is very quickly. Lord of Clans establishes Thrall as being over 6 feet tall at age 6, the same age that orcs begin weapons training, per Rise of the Horde. Generally, a 6 year old orc is treated as a teenager.

Rise of the Horde further establishes that orcs reach physical and mental adulthood at age 12. Durotan was 12 years old when Mother Kashur remarks that he's a full-grown adult now, and he actually mates with and marries Draka a year later, and becomes Chieftain around the same time.

So for your character to have been lost at age 4 or 5, they would've been speaking fluent Orcish and would've probably been around 5 feet tall already.
1 Like
Alright Cannibal, short but not so sweet one here.

Is it possible or even very likely that a female Night Elf or Blood Elf DKs soul would, due to the experience of their death and ressurection, be a Banshee? Obviously this means little to nothing to a DK, maybe a slight specialization, but I was curious.
08/08/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Xiechi
Is it possible or even very likely that a female Night Elf or Blood Elf DKs soul would, due to the experience of their death and ressurection, be a Banshee? Obviously this means little to nothing to a DK, maybe a slight specialization, but I was curious.
Sure. Banshees have existed since long before the Scourge did; they just became adept at creating them. One of the defining traits of a Banshee is the possession of dead bodies. Such dead body could just be your dead body. That's what Sylvanas does, after all.
1 Like
Hi, me again. Which clans were the least hostile to draenei before the rise of Gul'dan and the demon blood debacle (~120 BDP)?

I wanted my draenei to have learned shamanism from an orc hermit somewhere in the wilds around 120-100 BDP. Jury's still out on whether they lived in Nagrand or Shadowmoon Valley.
08/10/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Vozul
Hi, me again. Which clans were the least hostile to draenei before the rise of Gul'dan and the demon blood debacle (~120 BDP)?

I wanted my draenei to have learned shamanism from an orc hermit somewhere in the wilds around 120-100 BDP. Jury's still out on whether they lived in Nagrand or Shadowmoon Valley.

All orc clans were, at the least, wary of draenei. Some were more... open to talks than others. Among the friendlier clans, the Frostwolves and Shadowmoon were about it. The more neutral, "maybe they'll attack, maybe not," clans include the Blackrock, Thunderlord, Dragonmaw and Burning Blade, in my opinion. The outright hostile clans would likely be the Warsong, Bleeding Hollow, Shattered Hand, Bonechewer and Laughing Skull.
1 Like
I've been reading up on Troll culture, lore, customs, etc. trying to better wrap my head around Role Playing a Troll. Also trying to better flesh him out. Could you help me better understand the Troll Druid dynamic? I've googled and found an old forum thread about it but it somehow doesn't feel all that helpful.

I'd like to give Som're a druid influenced troll name or title, but I'm having difficulty coming up with one that feels right. Any suggestions?

I'm to understand from the 'pedia that the Darkspear revear serpents and reptiles, as well the representative Loa, Nimboya (?). Some also revere Bwonsamdi, the Loa of death and keeper of the dead in his realm Samedi. If this is correct then I'm looking to incorporate both of these into his character, somehow, through observances, practices, and habits. Any ideas along these lines would be helpful.

I'm turning to you, Cannibal, and this forum because I believe I'd get a more complete and concise response. Thank you in advance for any aid you can provide!
08/10/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Somre
Could you help me better understand the Troll Druid dynamic?
Wild Gods are primal manifestations of life and nature, often taking on the appearances of various animals and creatures. Some of these Wild Gods craved worship and sacrifices, and one of the first intelligent races to appear on Azeroth were the trolls, who filled this role. They worshipped these Wild Gods and gained blessings and powers from them in return. The trolls soon called this group of Wild Gods "loa".

Trolls who call on the powers of just a single loa are referred to as priests, whereas those who call on the powers and blessings of many loa are referred to as druids. This is the troll's general class dynamic for these two (although some troll priests simply use the Light and Void, and are not related to loa).

I'd like to give Som're a druid influenced troll name or title, but I'm having difficulty coming up with one that feels right. Any suggestions?
"Zen" is a Zandali word for "Druid," added as a prefix to a name once a troll has become a druid, such as Zen'tabra, one of the first troll druids to teach the Darkspear. Zen'som're could work, or Somre'zen if that's too many apostrophes for you.

I'm to understand from the 'pedia that the Darkspear revear serpents and reptiles, as well the representative Loa, Nimboya (?). Some also revere Bwonsamdi, the Loa of death and keeper of the dead in his realm Samedi. If this is correct then I'm looking to incorporate both of these into his character, somehow, through observances, practices, and habits. Any ideas along these lines would be helpful.
I'm not sure who Nimboya is, but I can comment on the other.

Bwonsamdi is a powerful loa who controls troll spirits after they've died. He actually grows more powerful the more souls are in his care, so some followers of his have conducted a rite of binding on their weapons so all their victims' souls go to him as well. His origins are entirely unknown and although he appears as a rotted troll himself, he predates trolls as a species.

Samedi isn't a location, but a Darkspear loa. He's the loa of the grave and also takes on troll spirits. We have very little information on him, and given that he and Bwonsamdi are inspired from the same Haitian god, they're likely names for the same being.

To incorporate these...

Bwonsamdi's face looks similar to a Rush'kah mask, a ceremonial head piece usually worn by shadow hunters. It channels the powers of a loa through it and seems to only worn during rituals and ceremonies. Bwonsamdi also, ironically, views undead as abominations and won't allow their "unbearable taint" in his temple, so perhaps your character has prejudice against undead?

Likewise, you can find more information on your tribe's culture here:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Darkspear_tribe#Philosophies
1 Like
Super helpful! Thanks for clearing Samedi up. I'll follow that link as well.
08/10/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Somre
Super helpful! Thanks for clearing Samedi up. I'll follow that link as well.

You can check out all the other loa and their lore here as well for some more inspiration:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Loa
1 Like
Is there a way to cleanse fel corruption/infusion from a being?
08/10/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Rayha
Yes, a few ways.

The two more prominent, specific examples include Lothraxion who attained it by becoming Lightforged and Avrus Illwhisper, who redeemed himself as a satyr in the eyes of Elune and had his corruption reverted entirely. There's also the more obvious case of blood elves, as the majority of them have had their fel eyes cleansed (unless they're around fel corruption consistency) into a golden hue thanks to the restoration of the Sunwell.

Since all these ways seem to be relatively Light-based, it seems as though this is one most consistent ways in which fel corruption can be permanently purged.
1 Like
08/10/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Cannibal
08/10/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Rayha
Yes, a few ways.

The two more prominent, specific examples include Lothraxion who attained it by becoming Lightforged and Avrus Illwhisper, who redeemed himself as a satyr in the eyes of Elune and had his corruption reverted entirely. There's also the more obvious case of blood elves, as the majority of them have had their fel eyes cleansed (unless they're around fel corruption consistency) into a golden hue thanks to the restoration of the Sunwell.

Since all these ways seem to be relatively Light-based, it seems as though this is one most consistent ways in which fel corruption can be permanently purged.

Anything that isnt replacing one form of curruption with another? :P
08/10/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Rayha
Anything that isnt replacing one form of curruption with another? :P
I'm not personally aware of any other examples that aren't Light-related, and asking around hasn't yielded any other results either, unfortunately.
1 Like
08/10/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Cannibal
I'm not personally aware of any other examples that aren't Light-related, and asking around hasn't yielded any other results either, unfortunately.

Hmm unfortunate, "light infusion" would definitely not be something the character would consider.

TY though!
What's that green goop flowing through the canals of the Undercity?