Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

LORE UPDATE!

It is currently year 33. A new source states patch 7.3.5 is actually the beginning of 33 ADP, not Battle for Azeroth. Source in question is from Before the Storm, stating the Embrace occurred 5 years ago and the fact that Anduin is already 18 in the book.
1 Like
Catch me up. What’s the Embrace?
06/20/2018 09:16 PMPosted by Caileanmor
Catch me up. What’s the Embrace?

The two moons of Azeroth overlap each other making a eclipse of those celestial objects. It was the event that happened around the time Kalec was made a aspect.
Correct, it's a celestial event in which the White Lady and Blue Child eclipse one another. It's an extremely rare conjunction and only occurs once every 430 years, last occurring in 28 ADP during the Cataclysm.

Wowpedia.org/Embrace
1 Like
Here is a question, is it possible to have a group of people become mentally linked so that they can communicate in each other's minds instead of using comms? Like if they were on a mission and needed to communicate orders and information.
06/21/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Dardillien
Here is a question, is it possible to have a group of people become mentally linked so that they can communicate in each other's minds instead of using comms? Like if they were on a mission and needed to communicate orders and information.

Khadgar does this a few times on Draenor with the PC, but there's a few other methods of doing it as well. Shaman can send messages across the wind to people far away, druids can communicate through nature and all kinds of stones and gems can be enchanted to work like walkie-talkies.

Also just... walkie-talkies. Those exist in the lore as well.
1 Like
Just make sure it’s some brand of Gnometech walkie. Preferbly with a triple redundant signal relay for better range. That Goblincraft stuff has terrible fidelity and might blow up in your face... or ear... or hand.
06/19/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Vedney
Why do some undead have their surnames changed (Nathanos Blightcaller, Meryl Felstorm) and some don't (Sylvanas Windrunner, Alonsus Faol.

There are a couple of reasons why some have altered names and some do not.

Of course the most recent reason is that Sylvanas is pushing her citizens to fully abandon memories of their time alive, thus taking new names like blightcaller, putress, etc. We will ignore the hypocritical side of her keeping her name since it's not relevant to the question at hand.

How ever older lore started that sometimes the Forsaken would take new names simply for the fact that they do not remember who they were before dying. As we see in the starting zone Tirisfal Glade that memories can be lost or locked at ressurection like Lilian Voss.

Personally Vanleer didn't know his first name until finally tracking down his old journal and reading about his life. He simply saw his letter calling him to arms in his plate and the part that had survived was the name Vanleer.
Hello everyone,

Beginning tomorrow, 6/25/18, and continuing for three weeks to 7/16/18, I will be taking a break from keeping my various threads active and updated. A combination of being on vacation in areas with little-to-no data service / Wi-Fi and a need for a break from all this will leave me unable to even check many of these threads. As such, expect no posts from me until 7/17/18. :)

While on my vacation / break I'll be evaluating what threads / projects I wish to continue updating and what I wish to drop. Between three lore projects to update, four more lore projects to complete, two archives, two lore Q&As, admin responsibilities for two discord groups and a Battlefield 4 server, all meshed in with my work and personal fun, my days are getting very long and very busy. I'll make my final decisions once I return. :)

Please feel free to continue posting / discussing as I will be issuing replies / a final response once I come home.
1 Like
You truly are the hardest working orc in the biz.
Here is a lore question for anyone, or Cannibal when he gets back, but how readily available is Dalaran to common folk?

I get the player can go there willy nilly because we are player character, but can common people get to Dalaran easily? Can they just take a portal there? How does that work?
05/16/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Dardillien
I have a couple lore questions.

1) What is the difference between a Dark Ranger and a High/Blood Elf DK? Like Dark Rangers are Elves that were killed and raised as Undead, right? Just like Death Knights, but they both look different.

[/quote]

Dark Rangers are an order created by Sylvannas. my guess would be from former comrades in her Ranger General days that were killed by Arthas and initially raised as banshees. She found a way to give them their bodies back the way she had regained hers. So presumably they are undead high elves. Unlike Elven DK's they specialize in ranged combat and woods lore.
I've read that Subtlety rogues in particular may use Shadow magics. is that true? If so, is it possible for them to learn from a Shadow priestess or Warlock more complicated Shadow spells IRP?
06/29/2018 12:38 PMPosted by Ravasha
I've read that Subtlety rogues in particular may use Shadow magics. is that true? If so, is it possible for them to learn from a Shadow priestess or Warlock more complicated Shadow spells IRP?

It's sort of implied in their spells that they utilize a few tricks to bolster their arsenal, yes. As for more complicated spells...Admittedly, I don't see why not, but on the other hand, I would argue that a spell like, say, Mind Control requires a different mentality to approaching problems than something like, say, a Rogue would want. Since for a lot of spells, you have to sit still, say your incantation/focus, and leave yourself open - something someone who wants to stab would want to avoid.

I mean, why spend the time to make someone a meat puppet to throw off a cliff, when you can just...trip and push them off yourself? That would arguably be more familiar and much more practical in the long run
You raise some good issues. My concept was more of a rogue that used like maybe Psychic Scream to get enemies off of her or Shadow Word: Pain, which is instant cast. Maybe these abilities would work differently IRP. She could also reduce threat on herself with Fade or in an RP like... go invisible or partially see through or something?

No they would not retain all their dagger skills they would be a more casting focused illusionist/psychic type rogue archetype.
06/29/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Ravasha
You raise some good issues. My concept was more of a rogue that used like maybe Psychic Scream to get enemies off of her or Shadow Word: Pain, which is instant cast. Maybe these abilities would work differently IRP. She could also reduce threat on herself with Fade or in an RP like... go invisible or partially see through or something?

No they would not retain all their dagger skills they would be a more casting focused illusionist/psychic type rogue archetype.

Interesting idea, so they would be Black Canary essentially, haha.
Is there any benefit towards worshipping one of the August Celestials in regards to an afterlife? As compared to The Light or a Loa like Bwonsandi.
06/29/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Dardillien
Interesting idea, so they would be Black Canary essentially, haha.

I'll have to look up Black Canary.

Another question: Is it possible for a blood elf to still be addicted to fel magics or did the Sunwell like cure all of them?
06/25/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Dardillien
but how readily available is Dalaran to common folk?

Portals in general don't seem too terribly rare, if one has connections to a mage. However, the average person likely does not, so I would say getting to Dalaran is possible for anyone, but I imagine mages charge a pretty copper for their services. This likely leaves most commoners just not able to afford to visit.

06/29/2018 12:38 PMPosted by Ravasha

The language used to describe Subtlety rogues is vague, but does seem to imply they use Void magic.

Subtlety rogues are the masters of the shadows, and they strike unseen. They don’t have the lethal poison-tipped daggers of the assassin or the brawling prowess of the outlaw, but their acumen on the battlefield and ability to hide in plain sight are unrivaled. Some claim the art of subtlety looks like malevolent shadow magic—but no matter from where their power is derived, these rogues are capable of performing devastating assaults on their enemies, slipping away unharmed to strike again without detection. Most rogues train their entire lives to learn how to walk in the shadows—subtlety rogues were born there.

This leaves their source of abilities open for creativity. Maybe your rogue uses shadow magic, or maybe they use engineering gadgets, or maybe they're just good at hiding.

07/05/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Irenaus
Is there any benefit towards worshipping one of the August Celestials in regards to an afterlife? As compared to The Light or a Loa like Bwonsandi.

There's not been a mention of them affecting any after life, though their status as Wild Gods gives them domain over the Emerald Dream, where a lot of nature-based souls go like druids and green dragons.
2 Likes
Bumping this so it is easier to find for those with questions.