Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

I can understand both sides of this.
Personally I’m inclined to think that it’s a statement that they can and do... or were, recruiting (making) new Death Knights; simply because of how that game mechanic relates to other class halls. I recruited new priests in mine. Even new dark priests and zealots. Maybe they already existed and I simply brought them over to the cause, or maybe I had a hand in their training/creation. IIrc it doesn’t specify so it could go either way, like Shrodinger’s cat. Both possibilities are true. I remember the same being true for my warlock, druid, and even demon hunter, so why not death knights?

That’s just my way of looking at it.
Hello Mr Cannibal.

How old would us new Nightborne be.
Where we are kinda city cousins to the Night Elves, do we still worship Elune too

Thanks
06/12/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Caileanmor

I'd certainly say this could be citable evidence for the side of "4th generation", but since it can go both ways, I'd just personally avoid the anecdote altogether. Without further confirmation, it's not enough to hold a stable argument.

For personal RP means however, I don't see anything wrong with moving forward with this idea until otherwise contradicted, however.

06/12/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Jalav
How old would us new Nightborne be.

Nightborne have the same aging rate as other night elves, with a solid portion of their population presumably being over 10,000 years old.

06/12/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Jalav
Where we are kinda city cousins to the Night Elves, do we still worship Elune too

Before the War of the Ancients, the Sisterhood of Elune moved their main temple of worship to Suramar, the Temple of Elune, and hadn't changed it until the Third War, despite losing contact. That temple actually displays Elune alongside a pantheon of other gods, further affirming the fact that night elves are polytheistic, and Elune is just the center of this worship. The novel The Well of Eternity clarifies they worship other gods, not just demigods like the Ancient Guardians.

From this, I think we can gather that Elune worship existed in Suramar but was likely downplayed quite a bit after the Sundering. Families likely continued worship on their own, but public displays were few and far in between.
1 Like
06/12/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Caileanmor
I can understand both sides of this.
Personally I’m inclined to think that it’s a statement that they can and do... or were, recruiting (making) new Death Knights; simply because of how that game mechanic relates to other class halls. I recruited new priests in mine. Even new dark priests and zealots. Maybe they already existed and I simply brought them over to the cause, or maybe I had a hand in their training/creation. IIrc it doesn’t specify so it could go either way, like Shrodinger’s cat. Both possibilities are true. I remember the same being true for my warlock, druid, and even demon hunter, so why not death knights?

I personally enjoy the idea that the Ebon Blade was raiding old Legion killing grounds, either with strike teams or otherwise, to pick out the better condition of bodies to raise up as DK's. On one hand, undeath probably is a jarring experience, on the other, if the person was initially killed by the Legion, raising them back up and promising them the opportunity to kick the Legion in the nads seems like a pretty good deal. Most likely, if they are warriors and soldiers, I imagine the majority would be willing to give it a try.
Wait a minute! Cannibal, I just saw that thread about the Worgen time jump! The beginning of the Worgen starting zone up until you get infected and turn was 7-9 years before the player is found and given the potion by Krennan? I always was under the impression that The Worgen starting zone took place over the span of a couple weeks, the Worgen invasion happens, then a couple weeks pass as the player is feral, then they are captured and given the potion, then the Shattering happens and the Forsaken show up, etc.

I didn't think it was 7-9 years of the player being feral and roaming around.
06/15/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Dardillien
Wait a minute! Cannibal, I just saw that thread about the Worgen time jump! The beginning of the Worgen starting zone up until you get infected and turn was 7-9 years before the player is found and given the potion by Krennan? I always was under the impression that The Worgen starting zone took place over the span of a couple weeks, the Worgen invasion happens, then a couple weeks pass as the player is feral, then they are captured and given the potion, then the Shattering happens and the Forsaken show up, etc.

That thread is almost 4 years old and my answers were based off the information available at the time. It's since been discovered / clarified through the novel Wolfheart and a few other quests that the worgen starting zone takes place just prior to the Shattering and shortly after it, not during the Third War.
1 Like
06/15/2018 07:44 PMPosted by Cannibal
06/15/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Dardillien

That thread is almost 4 years old and my answers were based off the information available at the time. It's since been discovered / clarified through the novel Wolfheart and a few other quests that the worgen starting zone takes place just prior to the Shattering and shortly after it, not during the Third War.

Okay, awesome. Thank you. I was very confused and it kind of ruins my characters backstory since I was under the impression the worgen starting zone all happens within the span of like 2 months or so. The Curse of the Worgen comic makes it seem that way.
Hello all, and it's always nice to see one of these threads up and about. This is not so much a question for my character as much as simply pondering and 'theory crafting'.

To grossly simplify some things there are multiple cases of 'Exalted' races or classes; The Lightforged for the Light, Ren'dorei for the void, Elemental Ascendants for their respective elements, Death Knights/Liches for Necromancy.

Mainly I want to focus on the Elemental Ascendants and on a favorite lore topic of mine, Monks and Chi (often speculating on Non-pandaren variations). From what we know, Chi is simply a term used to describe the 'fifth Element' of spirit, one that doesn't come from an elemental plane but from with in. Today I was wondering if there could be such a thing as a 'Chi/Spirit Ascendant' ?

While looking at game mechanic, which I know does not equal Lore, I saw that both Shamans and WindWalker Monks share a similar Talent at level 100 Ascendance and Serenity. While Asendance does as it says, Serenity allows the WW to cast their abilities with out expanding Chi, as if they were a font of the energy. Do you think this could be taken as even a shakey basis for Chi/Spirit Ascendants?

tldr: Is it possible for there to be Chi/Spirit elementals and Ascendants?
06/15/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Vanleer
Do you think this could be taken as even a shakey basis for Chi/Spirit Ascendants?

I think it's as close as we currently have. Since we know the world-soul within Azeroth is a major font of spirit energy, I think Azeroth itself is about as close as we can get to a spirit energy "Elemental Lord" of sorts.
1 Like
06/15/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Vanleer
Hello all, and it's always nice to see one of these threads up and about. This is not so much a question for my character as much as simply pondering and 'theory crafting'.

To grossly simplify some things there are multiple cases of 'Exalted' races or classes; The Lightforged for the Light, Ren'dorei for the void, Elemental Ascendants for their respective elements, Death Knights/Liches for Necromancy.

Mainly I want to focus on the Elemental Ascendants and on a favorite lore topic of mine, Monks and Chi (often speculating on Non-pandaren variations). From what we know, Chi is simply a term used to describe the 'fifth Element' of spirit, one that doesn't come from an elemental plane but from with in. Today I was wondering if there could be such a thing as a 'Chi/Spirit Ascendant' ?

While looking at game mechanic, which I know does not equal Lore, I saw that both Shamans and WindWalker Monks share a similar Talent at level 100 Ascendance and Serenity. While Asendance does as it says, Serenity allows the WW to cast their abilities with out expanding Chi, as if they were a font of the energy. Do you think this could be taken as even a shakey basis for Chi/Spirit Ascendants?

tldr: Is it possible for there to be Chi/Spirit elementals and Ascendants?

Well...
Maybe?
We don't know much about the properties of spirit. We know from Chronicles 2 that the Titan Creations of Draenor, once the Sporemounds were destroyed, were filled and pretty much bathing in spirit. Eventually, that spirit infusion ended up turning them into fleshy forms, like the Ogres and Orcs, as well as the Gronn and stuff.

Considering Spirit is the element that hitches a ride inside most living things, I imagine Serenity is just...putting those energies forwards. Inner peace, all that.
04/30/2018 10:39 PMPosted by Flarepulse
My question is, would a forsaken like myself be even able to hold these weapons?

There's been scores written about what happens when undead meet the business end of a light-infused weapon, but what might happen if one were to grab one by it's handle? Could a warrior like myself effectively use one if taking extra precaution not to make contact with say, the edge of a light-infused blade? Will even being that close to it for an extended period bring me ill effects?

Common misconception, actually, but the undead can indeed utilize the Light. Undead priests are a thing in the lore and possibly some of the strongest resolve of any living being; using the Light puts them in constant pain, on par with being set on fire, but without actually showing physical affects. Likewise, the Bloodsworn comic showed us that undead can be healed by the Light as well, and although effective, puts them through a tremendous amount of pain. Wielding the Light successfully, both as a magic and physically in this case with a weapon, is based in one's willpower or faith in their own ability to it.

Round 2 of Ask CDev actually asks this question specifically, and Blizzard states the following:
For the undead (and Forsaken), this requires such a great deal of willpower that it is exceedingly rare, especially since it is self-destructive. When undead channel the Light, it feels (to them) as if their entire bodies are being consumed in righteous fire. Forsaken healed by the Light (whether the healer is Forsaken or not) are effectively cauterized by the effect: sure, the wound is healed, but the healing effect is cripplingly painful. Thus, Forsaken priests are beings of unwavering willpower; Forsaken (and death knight) tanks suffer nobly when they have priest and paladin healers in the group; and Sir Zeliek REALLY hates himself.

Record of undead emoting positive emotions are rare, though there are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, and so on, as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath, when influenced by the Holy Light. The drawback however, is that they also become disgusted with themselves and are likely to increase attempts at their own self-destruction; for regaining these senses would force the undead to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

So, yes, your character can wield those Light-infused weapons, but it will hurt constantly and they may begin to feel sensations of actually being dead.

With Light-Forged undead now actually being a thing... this viewpoint might need some revisement. One does have to ask... why didn't the Naaru fully resurrect Lady Menethil instead of making her into this new kind of thing? She doesn't seem to be suffering from this combination of Light and undead flesh.
06/18/2018 08:39 PMPosted by Drahliana
With Light-Forged undead now actually being a thing... this viewpoint might need some revisement. One does have to ask... why didn't the Naaru fully resurrect Lady Menethil instead of making her into this new kind of thing? She doesn't seem to be suffering from this combination of Light and undead flesh.

Her resurrection appears to be more of an actual resurrection, not specifically undeath. As in, her was healed fine and her spirit reconnected to her body perfectly. It's when the spirit is connected imperfectly that the Light causes immense pain.
1 Like
Cannibal I got something to ask you. I have been recently trying to campaign that all orcs are not honorable and should not be the biggest trait attaining to them. I fight this because the orcish clans are exceedingly diverse!! While agree there are honorable orcs and honorable Orc clans, one might agree not all. Laughing Skull? Bonechewers? The Pale?? I think a better term is savage. Am I wrong to see the orcs this way?
Not at all. Honor in general appears to be a very subjective thing among individual orcs, and like you said, especially in the case of clans. Laughing Skull torture their enemies and Bleeding Hollow conduct blood rituals without issue, while other clans would find that horridly awful.
1 Like
06/19/2018 02:09 AMPosted by Cannibal
Not at all. Honor in general appears to be a very subjective thing among individual orcs, and like you said, especially in the case of clans. Laughing Skull torture their enemies and Bleeding Hollow conduct blood rituals without issue, while other clans would find that horridly awful.

I respect you and your honor Cannibal, I just choose to follow the Laughing Skull way, I will follow the undead queen until she turns on the Orcs completely. Thank you for your input on this, I’ve been arguing with a few Orc players in the story forums who insist that orcs are defined as honorable. Many are, but many are not, I might define orcs as savage. They come from one of the most savage worlds. Again thank you.

Oh yes last thing, was there ever a book or source that stated most of Thrall’s horde was made up of Bleeding Hollow? I’m not sure if it’s true but I remember it from somewhere I think... With so much lore things get lost and messed up in my head.
Why do some undead have their surnames changed (Nathanos Blightcaller, Meryl Felstorm) and some don't (Sylvanas Windrunner, Alonsus Faol.
06/19/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Vedney
Why do some undead have their surnames changed (Nathanos Blightcaller, Meryl Felstorm) and some don't (Sylvanas Windrunner, Alonsus Faol.
It's part of starting a new unlife. A lot of the Forsaken seem to use entirely different names from the ones from when they were alive. Sylvanas also discourages holding onto anything from your past life IIRC. Alonsus Faol is not a member of the Forsaken, he's a Priest above all else, and he still serves the Light in death. Sylvanas is probably too well known to change her name. She was famous before she fell.

I could be wrong.
06/19/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Vedney

Essentially as Nate explained. Many don't wish to remember their past lives or want a way of starting anew, and as the new lore from Before the Storm has shown, Sylvanas is actively telling her people to have as few connections to their past as they can. I imagine naming would be one of them, which is... very hypocritical, but...

That's just how it is.
1 Like
Could anyone point me to a good Before the Storm synopsis? What few things I've heard so far are absurd, but I need the whole absurd picture before I pass my final judgement.
06/20/2018 12:41 AMPosted by Flarepulse
Could anyone point me to a good Before the Storm synopsis? What few things I've heard so far are absurd, but I need the whole absurd picture before I pass my final judgement.

Blizzard tends to quell any lengthy discussions or synopses posted here on the forums, and as such I'm not readily aware of any good ones that've been posted. It'd be a difficult thing to write a synopsis for and I'd expect bias to make its way into each one. I suggest reading yourself and drawing your own conclusions.
1 Like