Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

Hi all,

So I started a motorcycle club themed guild and so far it's been taking off pretty nicely. Now, I was wondering if there is any biker gang/ outfit in lore to draw influence from?
05/31/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Ramborc
Now, I was wondering if there is any biker gang/ outfit in lore to draw influence from?

In the lore, not really. There's the orcish biker gang in the Badlands, but their outfits are pretty mediocre.

There are a few good ones here though:
https://www.wowhead.com/outfits/name:Biker
1 Like
With the launch of legion they took away the demon form from warlocks, is this something that was retconned from lore too?
05/31/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Rayha
With the launch of legion they took away the demon form from warlocks, is this something that was retconned from lore too?

No, some warlocks are still able to shapeshift into a very fel-corrupted state as they were before. The ability was scrapped from the game for a mechanics reason, as it would've been too similar to the demon hunter's shapeshifting ability, which was a flagship pull for the new class.
1 Like
Been thinking about Lightforged Warriors (and Mages and Hunters, but especially Warriors) lately. I suppose they'd be pretty adept in the Light, no? Considering the main ingredients for Light magic seem to be 1) being imbued by other Light wielders and the main one, 2) having faith and/or self-righteousness in your cause.

Well, Lightforged have been hanging out with a Prime Naaru. And the Lightforging process itself removes most (all?) internal doubt. So, Lightforged of any class should be able to fling Light with the best of them. Am I wrong?

Is it even possible for a Lightforged Warrior to even exist? Am I basically just a Paladin who prefers to focus more on weapons than magic?
06/01/2018 12:41 AMPosted by Arm
Is it even possible for a Lightforged Warrior to even exist? Am I basically just a Paladin who prefers to focus more on weapons than magic?
That's one way to look at it. A Paladin (soldier of the light) who prefers to focus on weapons than light spells. Or ranged weapons and animal companions. Or specifically on wielding light (and shadow) spells. I'd think that regardless of class a Lightforged would be able to utilize the light in some significant manner. Every Draenei (for instance) has a natural connection with the light as illustrated by their racial heal ability. I think it'd be acceptable to ramp up that concept with the Lightforged and maybe even branch out a little into other abilities for flavor, while still keeping your core class identity.
05/31/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Cannibal
05/31/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Ramborc
Now, I was wondering if there is any biker gang/ outfit in lore to draw influence from?

In the lore, not really. There's the orcish biker gang in the Badlands, but their outfits are pretty mediocre.

There are a few good ones here though:
https://www.wowhead.com/outfits/name:Biker

Thanks! Any info on the biker gang in badlands?
06/01/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Ramborc
Thanks! Any info on the biker gang in badlands?

We know they're called the Bad Dogs and consist of Amakkar the orc rogue, Gargal the orc warrior and Jurrix Whitemane the orc mage. They're a group of biking mercenaries working out of New Kargath.

That's about it unfortunately, haha.
1 Like
Character question. I have a Gnome warlock character I put on ice a while ago. I'd like to bring her back. Her soul was trapped in a Soul Gem which eventually turns up missing. Would it be ok to use the crisis on Argus to somehow bring her back (on Argus)? Not that I'm asking permission, more that I'm asking how doing that would come off... and maybe for a few ideas on how to pull that off so it worked well.

Little Background:
She started out as a sweet and innocent enough younger Gnome that had developed a type of inferiority complex that led her to seek out a means to prove her worth. Enter the Fel and she spirals out of control going full villain. He turns jealous, angry, envious, and bitter. Before long she dives into the deep end of the demon pool. While I'd like to play a little with her villainous side, I'd also like to tinker with a soft redemption arch. I kinda miss that softer sweeter side to her character.
06/02/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Caileanmor
Character question. I have a Gnome warlock character I put on ice a while ago. I'd like to bring her back. Her soul was trapped in a Soul Gem which eventually turns up missing. Would it be ok to use the crisis on Argus to somehow bring her back (on Argus)? Not that I'm asking permission, more that I'm asking how doing that would come off... and maybe for a few ideas on how to pull that off so it worked well.

Little Background:
She started out as a sweet and innocent enough younger Gnome that had developed a type of inferiority complex that led her to seek out a means to prove her worth. Enter the Fel and she spirals out of control going full villain. He turns jealous, angry, envious, and bitter. Before long she dives into the deep end of the demon pool. While I'd like to play a little with her villainous side, I'd also like to tinker with a soft redemption arch. I kinda miss that softer sweeter side to her character.

Throggore looks you over... “More information is needed! Was she a demon before she died? How did the soul gem get on Argus? How is she getting her body back? A soul is one thing putting it in something is something else! But not impossible I may know a guy...”
06/02/2018 10:45 PMPosted by Throggore
More information is needed!
*Cracks Knuckles*
She was a demon before she died, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave her that way so her "soft redemption" won't be reversing her demon state but rather reclaiming the bits of humanity that she'd sacrificed along the road. Kinda in the same vein as a Demon Hunter who's gone full demon yet retains that last vestige of their humanity in spite of it. Less of a physical "humanity" and more of a psychological/metaphysical/moral humanity in spite of going full demon.

The soul gem was being kept safe (or so the heroes thought) in a rather remote location. A different nefarious character of mine ransacked that location for reasons and stole the gem. That nefarious character has ties with the Legion, and through some creative authorial conjuring the gem made its way onto Argus in the Legion's hands. What exactly it was being used for is up in the air and rather unimportant to the grand scheme, I feel. Maybe it was powering a device or an Eredar Warlock was using it as some kind of spell focus. Maybe a certain moderately powerful Felguard wore it as a neat belt buckle adornment.

How she gets her body back is also something I'm unclear on.
It seems that demons can reconstruct their bodies within the Nether, or perhaps it just naturally reconstitutes on its own. At any rate, that may take some time. Then again time works differently within the Twisting Nether, so perhaps her body reconstituted itself and has been floating in limbo for some time waiting for her soul to be freed. Ooo, what if her soulless husk is conscious/sentient and has been wandering the Twisting Nether doing terrible things and just basically being a little nightmare because she has no soul?

I'm not certain how the two are made whole once more, but I'm thinking that when she does return she comes back different than from before she was killed. Less powerful, less power hungry, less maniacal and mad. She seeks to redeem herself of the horrible things she's done purely because she feels a need to. To try and reclaim a part of herself that she felt she'd lost, while at the same time copping with who she was and who she is.

I'm sure that guy you know could come in handy.
06/02/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Caileanmor
06/02/2018 10:45 PMPosted by Throggore
More information is needed!
*Cracks Knuckles*
She was a demon before she died, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave her that way so her "soft redemption" won't be reversing her demon state but rather reclaiming the bits of humanity that she'd sacrificed along the road. Kinda in the same vein as a Demon Hunter who's gone full demon yet retains that last vestige of their humanity in spite of it. Less of a physical "humanity" and more of a psychological/metaphysical/moral humanity in spite of going full demon.

The soul gem was being kept safe (or so the heroes thought) in a rather remote location. A different nefarious character of mine ransacked that location for reasons and stole the gem. That nefarious character has ties with the Legion, and through some creative authorial conjuring the gem made its way onto Argus in the Legion's hands. What exactly it was being used for is up in the air and rather unimportant to the grand scheme, I feel. Maybe it was powering a device or an Eredar Warlock was using it as some kind of spell focus. Maybe a certain moderately powerful Felguard wore it as a neat belt buckle adornment.

It seems that demons can reconstruct their bodies within the Nether, or perhaps it just naturally reconstitutes on its own. At any rate, that may take some time. Then again time works differently within the Twisting Nether, so perhaps her body reconstituted itself and has been floating in limbo for some time waiting for her soul to be freed. Ooo, what if her soulless husk is conscious/sentient and has been wandering the Twisting Nether doing terrible things and just basically being a little nightmare because she has no soul?

I'm not certain how the two are made whole once more, but I'm thinking that when she does return she comes back different than from before she was killed. Less powerful, less power hungry, less maniacal and mad. She seeks to redeem herself of the horrible things she's done purely because she feels a need to. To try and reclaim a part of herself that she felt she'd lost, while at the same time copping with who she was and who she is.

Throggore thinks for a second... “It checks out! Everything you said seems plausible for the lore and works. For her body you are correct demons seem to remake their own bodies! You could also get creative, your a soul, almost anything could be used as a new body! Your new soul could even be placed in a gnome sized doll... Rather creepy stuff. I say do it, your character is lore plausible!”
Okay, so I know this topic has been discussed before probably in this thread, but I am going to ask about it again. What is the difference between a feral worgen and a mindless worgen?

My understanding of the difference is this:

Feral Worgen = the person is stuck in worgen form, however they retain their mind, or at least most of it. Examples of this are the player character when they are given the potion that Krennan Aranas had made, and the worgen we save in Duskwood Yorgen as he is given the special salve that gives him back his mind, but he cannot return to human form.

Mindless Worgen = the person's mind is gone and they are just a wild animal basically, they do not remember who they are, and they are just killing machines. Examples of this are the player character when they first change and apparently roam Gilneas for weeks before being captured and given the potion made by Krennan Aranas, and the Nightbane Worgen that roam around Duskwood.

Am I completely wrong on both accounts?
06/03/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Dardillien
What is the difference between a feral worgen and a mindless worgen?

There are a few differences, though both are in the same category.

Feral worgen are essentially just worgen suffering from bloodlust. They want to kill and their primal instincts can overpower any more complex thoughts or emotions they might have. Most, if not all are redeemable at this stage, and numerous medicinal tinctures, potions, rituals and spells are able to sooth the mind of a feral worgen.

Mindless worgen are a bit... worse. They've lost all semblance of personhood and are, by all means, a wild animal. Some are still redeemable, though it becomes progressively harder and eventually impossible to cure as time goes on in this state. Yorgen was actually in this state, but only had been for a short time and was able to be cured. In Gilneas, it was actually protocol to put down any mindless worgen that weren't responsive to the potions they were trying.

Down to the basics, feral worgen are pissed off people seeing red, whereas mindless worgen are essentially as dangerous as a wild animal and are likely better off just being killed.
1 Like
06/03/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Cannibal
06/03/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Dardillien
What is the difference between a feral worgen and a mindless worgen?

There are a few differences, though both are in the same category.

Feral worgen are essentially just worgen suffering from bloodlust. They want to kill and their primal instincts can overpower any more complex thoughts or emotions they might have. Most, if not all are redeemable at this stage, and numerous medicinal tinctures, potions, rituals and spells are able to sooth the mind of a feral worgen.

Mindless worgen are a bit... worse. They've lost all semblance of personhood and are, by all means, a wild animal. Some are still redeemable, though it becomes progressively harder and eventually impossible to cure as time goes on in this state. Yorgen was actually in this state, but only had been for a short time and was able to be cured. In Gilneas, it was actually protocol to put down any mindless worgen that weren't responsive to the potions they were trying.

Down to the basics, feral worgen are pissed off people seeing red, whereas mindless worgen are essentially as dangerous as a wild animal and are likely better off just being killed.

Oh wow, I was pretty off. Thank you so much for answer, Cannibal.

So, is there no difference from the player character, and other worgen, that undergo the ritual and ones who were given the potion from Krennan Aranas in the starting zone? What about Yorgen when he gets his mind back from the salve?

I thought those under Krennan Aranas' potion or the salve in Duskwood could not return to human form, whereas if you undergo the ritual you can.
06/03/2018 12:40 AMPosted by Throggore
06/02/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Caileanmor
...*Cracks Knuckles*

Throggore thinks for a second... “It checks out! Everything you said seems plausible for the lore and works. For her body you are correct demons seem to remake their own bodies! You could also get creative, your a soul, almost anything could be used as a new body! Your new soul could even be placed in a gnome sized doll... Rather creepy stuff. I say do it, your character is lore plausible!”
Okie dokie. So I sat down to try and summarize my little warlock's background in a single condenced tale, and I've hit a road block. I thought I'd post it here for all to read and comment, and just maybe I could get an idea as to where and how to take it from here. If Cannibal doesn't mind the comment clutter here then yay!, but otherwise feel free to comment on my story thread. Link below. Critique away!

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765137191?page=1#post-2
06/03/2018 09:57 PMPosted by Caileanmor
Okie dokie. So I sat down to try and summarize my little warlock's background in a single condenced tale, and I've hit a road block. I thought I'd post it here for all to read and comment, and just maybe I could get an idea as to where and how to take it from here. If Cannibal doesn't mind the comment clutter here then yay!, but otherwise feel free to comment on my story thread. Link below. Critique away!

I guess ill offer some questions to throw at the wall and see what sticks, but some clarification on what has you stuck could do some good.

How does she regain a body? Does the demon lord give her one after discovering the potential powerful servant that resides within? Does the gem break through an accident that allows her soul free to claim another body? Is she released by a well meaning third party?

With her return is she going to come back as some form of demon? Will she be a gnome with enough demonic essence to be reborn like them? If she inhabits a body what kind of body, and is she the sole occupant or is it a body she shares?

Is redemption something she wants now or is it something she comes to want after an event? Is it an event she feels conflicted over, or is it something involving another person? Did she cause the event, or simply witness it? If she occupies the same body as someone else does the other occupant help fuel this move towards "redemption"?
Excellent questions!

I suppose to begin with, I’m stuck on her return. The specifics of it. I’d like her to return to her own body, but I’m trying to not hamfist it. Before her death she went full demon for greater power which was ultimately part of her undoing. So far I have that her body reconstituted in the Twisting Nether, same as any other demon, but she can’t claim it be ause her soul is trapped. I also have her at a weaker state because her soul and general power has been steadily sapped for another use. So when she is set loose I’m thinking she’ll need help reclaiming her body.

As to how she’s set free, I’m drawing a blank. I’m also not entirely certain where on Argus she’s being kept or for what purpose her gem is being used. Only that she’s in the hands of some ambiguous Legion Eredar.

Maybe I just need to let it simmer a bit to see what bubbles up, but I somehow feel like I’m missing something.

On redemption, I think it’s something she grows into. Immediately after her release she’s angry and looking for vengence against the Eredar that sapped her powers, and the ‘vile foe’ that sold her to the Legion in the first place. At some point along that journey she comes into her need for redemption, albeit imperfectly.
Working on the backstory for Alati here and I've run into a bit of a snag: is there any established upper age-range that High/Blood Elves live to?

I've been finding a lot of contradictory answers; Anasterian Sunstrider was supposedly 'notably ancient' at 3,000, but in The Frozen Throne some Elven engineers state they helped construct Dalaran's defences which would have put them all easily around 2,500 (and this seems to fit nicely with there being four Kings of Quel'thalas over the 10,000-year period between Dath'Remar's exile after the War of the Ancients and the Scourge sieging Quel'thalas in WarCraft 3).

And then we have the audiobook A Thousand Years of War which says that the Sunwell gave the High Elves "something akin to" immortality, which just... flies in the face of all of that.

So the closest I can come to is that, on average, 2,500 is 'old' for a High Elf, and the loss of the Sunwell in the time in-between WarCraft 3 and the ending of The Burning Crusade would have made any Elf over that age liable to die of natural causes like regular mortals. Though that requires assuming that the intermittent Kings died in, say, combat against the Amani Trolls or somesuch.

Does that sound right, or have I missed something more definitive in the lore?
06/03/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Dardillien
So, is there no difference from the player character, and other worgen, that undergo the ritual and ones who were given the potion from Krennan Aranas in the starting zone? What about Yorgen when he gets his mind back from the salve?

It's a means to the same end. Shifting in and out of worgen form is similar to druidic shifting in general, so it shouldn't be impossible for any worgen with control of their emotions. I'd say if they can calmly have a normal conversation, they can shift to human form. I imagine many just choose not to, because... why bother? Worgen form is superior in nearly every way.

06/03/2018 09:57 PMPosted by Caileanmor
If Cannibal doesn't mind the comment clutter here then yay!

Not at all. :)

06/05/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Alati
Does that sound right, or have I missed something more definitive in the lore?

That's about all we have, though there's also the note of Alleria Windrunner, who is personally over 3,800 years old and still looks to be in her prime, counting the thousand years she spent in the Twisting Nether.

Over on Wowpedia, we rationalized this with the following:
"According to A Thousand Years of War, all high and blood elves have "something akin to" immortality via the Sunwell. It's possible elves do not age but can become frail after thousands of years due to stress and disease. This would explain why King Anasterian was frail at 3,000 years, but Alleria Windrunner is still alive and well even though she's over 3,800 years old. The weight of being a cultural leader simply did not weigh on Alleria."

So... I suppose just factor in stress and disease to your character's backstory. If they ever suffered any of that very heavily and constantly, they'd start looking very old by 3,000, but if not, they could be 4,000 and still look fine.
1 Like