Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

05/17/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Lucarde
Before I get into my question I would like to say this is the first time I have ever fully enjoyed a thread. Thank you OP and all who have participated.

With that out of the way I have a lore question for this character as far as how I could introduce him.

Being a Nightborne does that mean that the only thing he would know is that behind the magic barrier in Suramar? Or could / would it be viable to state that he was not barred from the rest of the world (Considering the fact he is a Rogue.). If no he would not be barred from the rest of the world; one of my favorite areas is Feralas then Sholazar basin / Grizzly Hills and was thinking of creating a back story around those areas.

If yes he would be barred from the rest of the world; what are some ways of introducing him?

Last thought:
Being a Nightborne would it be noteworthy to back up the shadow magic usage of Subtlety with being a nightborne since they are supposedly masters of all magic? Like say Role Playing him like a Thief/Mage?

I am no lore buff, I will let one of the more lore knowing folk answer your question. However, I will give my opinion on how I interpret the Nightborne haha.

I personally think that if he is a Nightborne, then he was stuck inside of the mana barrier, or at least long enough to have been changed into a Nightborne as the Nightwell is what made him turn into a Nightborne. So I guess theoretically he could have left at some point, however I am not sure how that would affect him because as we see in Suramar those who are thrown outside of the city seem to become withered. The Nightborne thrive on the Nightwell, so if he left and went to Feralas or somewhere I think he would eventually become a withered.

Again, let one of the lore buffs give you a definitive answer, that is just my two cents.
Another lore question regarding Death Knights.

I have seen mixed answers when I googled this question, so here it is, do Death Knights rot or no? If they do I imagine they decay at a much slower rate than the Forsaken and other undead.
Before I get into my question I would like to say this is the first time I have ever fully enjoyed a thread. Thank you OP and all who have participated.

We're happy to assist!

Being a Nightborne does that mean that the only thing he would know is that behind the magic barrier in Suramar? Or could / would it be viable to state that he was not barred from the rest of the world (Considering the fact he is a Rogue.). If no he would not be barred from the rest of the world; one of my favorite areas is Feralas then Sholazar basin / Grizzly Hills and was thinking of creating a back story around those areas.

As Dardillien pointed out, the nightborne at the time were heavily reliant on the Nightwell for sustenance, so much so that they didn't even have regular food in the city. Everything was magically infused since that's all they needed, and one of the worst punishments was outcasting those outside of the barrier, who'd eventually wither and be driven to insanity from magical starvation.

Unless your character has a logical, safe method of constant arcane consumption while adventuring to those distant places, it'd practically be a death sentence to even traverse very far into the Broken Isles themselves, let alone across the world.

If yes he would be barred from the rest of the world; what are some ways of introducing him?

Nightborne have, thankfully, found a solution to their issue. The Arcan'dor is a massive, magical tree that we help grow in Suramar. Consuming it allows nightborne to travel wherever they please, but it didn't exist for the average nightborne until well after the barrier fell.

Pretty much everyone's nightborne's story begins with them leaving Suramar for the first time after it's reclamation. Things are more stable during this time and you'll be better for explaining your character's motivations to visit far-flung places like Feralas, Sholazar and the Hills.

Alternatively, you could say your character visited outside of Suramar frequently through secret tunnels or the like, or was perhaps outcasted himself, and found a formidable alternative for his magical addiction in the form of a relic, magical crystal or something similar.

It'd be a bit of a stretch but it's possible. If they maintained their magical addiction and found a safe way out of the Isles, you could've traveled wherever you pleased.

Being a Nightborne would it be noteworthy to back up the shadow magic usage of Subtlety with being a nightborne since they are supposedly masters of all magic? Like say Role Playing him like a Thief/Mage?

Some rogues do, some rogues don't. It's entirely up to you. I personally prefer the grittier, "I'm just good at hiding" aspect of it, but a lot of rogues go with the void magic route. I've also seen arcane rogues who use invisibility spells and rogues who use potions and engineering gadgets for stealth.

05/17/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Dardillien
I have seen mixed answers when I googled this question, so here it is, do Death Knights rot or no? If they do I imagine they decay at a much slower rate than the Forsaken and other undead.

All undead rot, so yes they are. The only varying factor is how well they're preserved. Death knights tend to be better preserved as they're more powerful, but they can still take severe wounds and without the capability of healing it properly, assuming they don't use magic, rot can set in very easily.

Frost-oriented death knights might not suffer nearly as much either, as they're preserved in the sense that their bodies can be incredibly freezing.
1 Like
Unless your character has a logical, safe method of constant arcane consumption while adventuring to those distant places, it'd practically be a death sentence to even traverse very far into the Broken Isles themselves, let alone across the world.

I'd have to say this peaked my interest and I think would go along with being a Rogue. Say being able to sneak into noble houses and the like to steal arcane trinkets and the like that would help with feeding the starvation.

Very interesting points indeed; your whole post along with Dardillien have given me some things to think on.

Thank you both very much for your time and input into my question. I do very much appreciate the insight both of you have given me. Much I didn't think about to consider.
do Death Knights rot or no?
That's kind of a complex answer, largely dependant on the players interpretation of their own character. The shorter answer would be Cannibal's above. Yes, they rot. They're still undead, yet Death Knights are a wholly different type of Undead. It's not uncommon to see many depict a chosen player spec as a character theme.

Frost DKs for instance tend to be chilled, emit a chilling aura, and typically have some form of crystallization like a layer of frost or ice that coats their armor and flesh. Explaining that the deeper freeze helps stave off much of the natural rot.

I've seen a few Blood DKs depict everything from a healthy complexion to a gruesome pale and bloody appearance, explaining that either due to their fresh intake of blood or the blood magics they wield they're able to stave off the rotting.

Unholy DKs seem to be more varied. Some prefer the zombie-like well preserved corpse appearance while others play up the Lich-like abilities, explaining (again) that their necromantic powers help in their preservation. Either they're able to control the rot and decay or they've somehow refined themselves to a petrified/mummified state so that there is nothing left to rot, and that they're somehow held together/preserved by their Necromancy. A lot of magical hand waving involved, at any rate.

But then there are others that take completely different routes. Some choose to emphasize less their Death Knight prowess and focus more on their Undeath as might a Forsaken, and so are more mundane about handling their rot than others. It's all really dependant on personal preference and creativity.
05/17/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Caileanmor
do Death Knights rot or no?
That's kind of a complex answer, largely dependant on the players interpretation of their own character. The shorter answer would be Cannibal's above. Yes, they rot. They're still undead, yet Death Knights are a wholly different type of Undead. It's not uncommon to see many depict a chosen player spec as a character theme.

Frost DKs for instance tend to be chilled, emit a chilling aura, and typically have some form of crystallization like a layer of frost or ice that coats their armor and flesh. Explaining that the deeper freeze helps stave off much of the natural rot.

I've seen a few Blood DKs depict everything from a healthy complexion to a gruesome pale and bloody appearance, explaining that either due to their fresh intake of blood or the blood magics they wield they're able to stave off the rotting.

Unholy DKs seem to be more varied. Some prefer the zombie-like well preserved corpse appearance while others play up the Lich-like abilities, explaining (again) that their necromantic powers help in their preservation. Either they're able to control the rot and decay or they've somehow refined themselves to a petrified/mummified state so that there is nothing left to rot, and that they're somehow held together/preserved by their Necromancy. A lot of magical hand waving involved, at any rate.

But then there are others that take completely different routes. Some choose to emphasize less their Death Knight prowess and focus more on their Undeath as might a Forsaken, and so are more mundane about handling their rot than others. It's all really dependant on personal preference and creativity.

This was my logic as well on the subject, it completely is dependent on the player who is playing them.

But, and I know this is a stretch since real world logic doesn't necessarily translate to WoW logic, but dead bodies begin to smell because they start decomposing. If a Death Knight was killed and then raised fairly quickly, therefore decomposition wouldn't have reached a point enough where the body would start to smell, is it possible for them to not smell?

Anyways, thanks for the answers Cannibal and Caileanmor.
Seems plausible to me. As I recall Arthas pretty much slipped right into undeath. I don’t recall him ever “dying”, even symbolically. Either it happened so fast that it was a nonevent or it happened so slowly and gradually that it was imperceptable. IIRC he was full on Undead DK by the time he dueled Illidan and then put on the helm. Maybe even before that. Come to think of it, his transition might have happened when he took up Frostmourn.

^.^ My point being, by the time of his demise he looked pretty good for an Undead DK. Aside from being pale.
As always, these threads are simply amazing. Thanks to all who contribute!

I have a question regarding Blood Elf death knights. From my understanding, the two primary generations of Belf DKs are:

1) Slain elves during the Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas, leading to their undeath and eventual servitude in Acherus. And,

2) Elves in Kael's forces when they first went to Northrend, killed in those skirmishes, and consequently raised, etc. etc.

I know any backstory for DKs is fairly viable, Belves as well, but how would one explain a DK that was once part of Kael's forces, followed him to Outland and possibly to Magister's Terrace/Quel'Danas, and was killed there? Or is that easily viable? Am I looking too deep into this? Lol.

Thanks!
Well, there's also the classic explanation that your blood elf could've died at the Scourge's hands during the Burning Crusade expansion, as many did. Most death knights were raised shortly before the Death knight intro scenario from battles in the Plaguelands.

So, your blood elf would've had a normal blood elven life, survived the Third War and Arthas' invasion, gone with Kael'thas to Outland, remained there until the Horde and Alliance come and defeat Kael'thas, and then you can either go with him to Quel'Danas, lose and defect, then be killed in battle against the Scourge and raised, or defect after his first defeat and later be killed in battle as well.
1 Like
One thing I’ve been trying to answer is the time spread around the War of the Ancients. The question I’ve been trying to answer is how long from the first incursion of Burning Legion Demons to their defeat? And for clarity, their defeat came when the Well went boom, correct? I’d like to settle on some form of time progression. I know it’s a lot of vague information so the best I can hope for is a ball park, and that’s fine.

Reason being that I’ve been mulling over some origin stories for my Demon Hunter and Druid, and they revolve around that time period. It’d be nice to reference events with relative accurately.

If anyone has some opinion to offer it’d be most welcomed.
^.^
I'm not sure if we have any chronology that's that specific, though I know the books take place over the course of a few weeks, possibly longer. As far as I know, there's no set time period between when the invasion first began and when the Well imploded.
1 Like
I have a little story I've been putting together in my head that leads from the Forgotten Coast of western Feralas all the way to Gadgetzan. Part of me feels like I've asked this before in a previous thread but I'm going through with it anyway.

I'm wondering how long each leg of the journey might take. The first part would be an on-foot trek from the western shore of Feralas to the Eastern shared border with Thousand Needles, starting south of Feathermoon Stronghold, then following main roads and passing through Camp Mojache on the way.

The next leg would be using a fully-manned two-person canoe to travel from the Feralas border all the way across Thousand Needles to the narrow pass that separates TN from Tanaris.

One last note is the adventuring party is two undead who, despite not needing food or rest, will probably stop to set up camp at night anyway. It is still a vacation, after all.
Lucky for you, literally that exact journey path is traveled in the Traveler book series. It takes them approximately two weeks to hike from the western coast to the border of Thousand Needles. As of the discovery of Pandaria, roughly two years ago, Dire Maul is still under strict Gordunni control, and most of Feralas is swarming with ogres. The eastern forests are home to the forest yetis and the Woodpaw gnolls, both of which have come to a truce between one another to fight off the Gordunni ogres. Yetis, as it turns out, are quite intelligent, although still incapable of speech. They name one another, have concepts of honor and even believe in an afterlife called the 'Afterlands'.

For canoeing through Thousand Needles, it takes about four days to get from the western shores to the Speedbarge. In the lore, most of the spires throughout the waters have small camps or even entire towns atop them. New Thalanaar is still under Grimtotem assault, as seen in-game from the Cataclysm era, Darkcloud Pinnacle is still under Grimtotem control as well but Freewind Post is open for business, welcoming all with open arms. Tauren and quilboar alike trade with any and all for very cheap prices compared to the city, but they do suffer harpy attacks every few nights. Fizzle and Pozzik's Speedbarge is a bustling, city-sized ship with massive docks, buildings and more ships surrounding it than Stormwind Harbor.

You can find a lot more applicable Feralas, Thousand Needles and Tanaris information here, where I've compiled all the lore from the first and second books:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20761917267
1 Like
How old is the Darkmoon Faire, like how long has it been around for? And is it actually a thing in lore?
05/26/2018 04:00 AMPosted by Dardillien
How old is the Darkmoon Faire, like how long has it been around for? And is it actually a thing in lore?

It is a thing in the lore!

The Darkmoon Faire was started by Silas Darkmoon, a budding gnome entrepreneur. The Darkmoon Faire first appeared for players as small gatherings outside Thunder Bluff, Goldshire and Shattrath in the Burning Crusade, but was moved to Darkmoon Island after the Cataclysm. The only other thing we know is that Silas visited Southshore at some point in the past, but that could've taken place anytime before the Cataclysm. Due to this, we don't know when they got their start exactly, but it likely wasn't much earlier than before the Burning Crusade.

A murder mystery manga was written by Blizzard for the Faire, called Blood Runs Thicker and details the strange murders of various Darkmoon employees. It's the third part of a manga series called Legends Volume 4.
1 Like
Canni, do you even dark souls?
05/26/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Takodaa

I don't. :(

I've considered giving it a shot, but I play certain games in very certain ways. I enjoy some games, such as WoW, Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed: Origins, etc. more for the narrative experience. I enjoy the story and don't actively challenge myself in those games, really.

I play other games, such as Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1, Superhot, PUBG, etc. competitively. I don't really care about continuity or story as much, and just challenge myself to get and be better.

Dark Souls seems like the kind of game that would force the challenge, when I think I'd prefer living the story.
1 Like
05/26/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Cannibal
05/26/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Takodaa

I don't. :(

I've considered giving it a shot, but I play certain games in very certain ways. I enjoy some games, such as WoW, Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed: Origins, etc. more for the narrative experience. I enjoy the story and don't actively challenge myself in those games, really.

I play other games, such as Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1, Superhot, PUBG, etc. competitively. I don't really care about continuity or story as much, and just challenge myself to get and be better.

Dark Souls seems like the kind of game that would force the challenge, when I think I'd prefer living the story.
WOAH! Dark souls 3 is such a masterpiece the lore for the souls series so so deep and crazy people are still finding things out about it to this day, its the reason for life itself <3. Jk im just a huge Dark souls fan! PvP is one of the best things about it for me, ive done every boss 5 times now including DLC ones, yes I hate my life <3. Should deffinitly give it a whack next time its on sale!:) Its so worth it! \m/
How did the Lightforged secure food and other materials for themselves? I have an idea for a sort of salvager character who specialized in covertly acquiring supplies on certain worlds for the Army of the Light. Would that make sense?
05/30/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Loranaris
How did the Lightforged secure food and other materials for themselves? I have an idea for a sort of salvager character who specialized in covertly acquiring supplies on certain worlds for the Army of the Light. Would that make sense?

We don't have any lore on it, but that seems most likely. We know they covertly secured elekks from Draenor after Turalyon joined up with them, so perhaps they'd go on food runs to other worlds and even Draenor itself.
1 Like