Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

To answer some questions from another poster.

In the RTS game, Realm of Chaos, the Moonglade is seen as a strictly Kaldorei area with Nighthaven as the Night Elf capital city, not a Druid-only sanctuary. And while the Taurens had Druids at the time, those Druids were not part of the Cenarian Circle. Nor were any part of Malfiurion's sleeping Dream Watch.

Again from the background of the RTS, the Night Elves fought at Hyjal as a third force, not part of Thrall's Horde, nor integrated with Jaina's people. Theramore was founded after the Battle, and presumably so was the Cenarian Circle. I imagine Fandral created Teldrassil some time in this period in part as protest to Malfurion's opening up of the Moonglade to non-Elves, and especially to the Horde that had killed the Night Elve's demi-god, Cenarius. Presumably the Night Elves forged an alliance with Theramore, and then later with the Kingdoms of Stormwind and Ironforge.

Given from what I read, at first contact, the Night Elves attacked Jaina's forces just as viciously as they had Hellscream's, as invaders. The Kaldorei essentially kept to their lands that we know know as Darkshore and Ashenvale, including what we call the Felwood, as well as the land surrounding Hyjal and Winterspring.

Note: I have absolutely no idea how Huln became involved in the demonic war. I have to assume that his activity dates from the War of the Ancients, not the Third War, since Cenarius would have been dead by then. And Shadowsong likewise was not in the third war, either.
05/07/2018 05:21 PMPosted by Drahliana
And while the Taurens had Druids at the time, those Druids were not part of the Cenarian Circle.
To further clarify, you're quoting extremely old lore that has been rewritten a few times now. The Cenarion Circle has included tauren for thousands and thousands of years since its creation, and the taurens' ancestors, the yaungol, were actually the first to be trained by Cenarius in druidic abilities, before the night elves were even a race.

Theramore was founded after the Battle, and presumably so was the Cenarian Circle.
The Cenarion Circle was founded after the War of the Satyr in year -9,300. It's currently year 32.
1 Like
05/07/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Cannibal
05/07/2018 03:18 PMPosted by Caileanmor
...If game mechanics holds any truth then at least as fast as any horse. Not counting mount speeds, I believe on two quest occasions Worgen are seen running you down on horse back. Once in the fall of Gilneas opening area for Worgen and once in Grizzly Hills when you and [whatshername] escape from that wolf cult.

I'd say this is a good way to put it.

05/07/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Drahliana
Fond as I am of the RPG (I have one of every book from both editions) It should be noted that Metzen declared it non-canon in its entirety.

Oh, I'm aware. :) I've spent countless hours removing RPG lines from Wowpedia. It's a neat universe, but one that's very, very separate from the actual canonical one.

He has gone on record that on reflection, he feels that he may have been too hasty in doing so, which suggests to me that he read little, perhaps none of the material when he did so. But the decision still stands.
05/07/2018 05:28 PMPosted by Cannibal
And while the Taurens had Druids at the time, those Druids were not part of the Cenarian Circle.
To further clarify, you're quoting extremely old lore that has been rewritten a few times now. The Cenarion Circle has included tauren for thousands and thousands of years since its creation, and the taurens' ancestors, the yaungol, were actually the first to be trained by Cenarius in druidic abilities, before the night elves were even a race.

Theramore was founded after the Battle, and presumably so was the Cenarian Circle.
The Cenarion Circle was founded after the War of the Satyr in year -9,300. It's currently year 32.

That is one of the problems of the lore-collision with the RTS game. Wherever the Cenarians were during Reign of Chaos, it wasn't in Nighthaven. The resolution I can come up with is that the Taurens at that point were members of their own, Tauren-only order that not even Malfurion was aware of. Because at that date... the Night Elf Druids would have all been asleep in barrow-dens fulfilling their part of the bargain of Nordrassil.
How does a fight between two shamans look and happen? They both must ask for the elements to aid them, surely the same elements would not say yes to two different shaman? Would each shaman have to have asked separate elementals?
I would think that elementals vary as much as any individual. ā€œThe Elementsā€ is imo just a catch-all phrase to avoid specifying which elemental. Iā€™d think that in time the Shaman would come to know just which individual elementals he was calling upon as he grew closer to them, and thus more powerful. But tbh I really donā€™t know. Cannibal will have a better explanation since he RPā€™s a battle Shaman. :) I just wanted to toss the thought into the mix. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.
Are there any evil non-eredar draenei
05/08/2018 04:59 AMPosted by Fushan
How does a fight between two shamans look and happen? They both must ask for the elements to aid them, surely the same elements would not say yes to two different shaman? Would each shaman have to have asked separate elementals?
There hasn't been much, if any indication that the elementals will side with one shaman over another, and the elementals appear to give their abilities to just whoever respects them.

Personal relationships can be common as well, as a shaman may call on the same fire elemental multiple times for various fire spells, and this is usually the go-to explanation for a lot of shaman RPers.

05/08/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Vedney
Are there any evil non-eredar draenei
Plenty! The Auchenai and the Sargerei are both draenei groups who've gone rogue and are actively hostile to outsiders.
1 Like
Would there be any issues, lore or otherwise, with a character who is a Dryad deciding to break with racial characteristics and delve into Cenarion Druidism, learn to hide her Dryad form (assuming the guise of a Night Elf) and adventuring about the world?
Not at all. We know from Traveler that dryads actually grow from magically enchanted acorns given to experienced druids to teach them how to be, well.. a dryad, through whispering to the seed.

The simplest explanation I can come up with would be a druid who didn't fully help realize those responsibilities, so the dryad learns to go a bit rogue.
1 Like
What about a druid who did, yet with everything that's been happening this particular Dryad feels driven to seek out the druid that taught her and aid in the struggle? Out of character for a dryad perhaps, but too far out?
Drella has shown us that dryads can have very individual motives. They're not a hivemind or anything, they just have a specific purpose and deviations from that purpose appear rare. I wouldn't say that's too far out of the ordinary, no.
1 Like
Is there any info on how night elves joined Illidan in Outland to become demon hunters? Wasn't the dark portal closed until the events of the Burning Crusade? I know the blood elves could have come from Kael'thas's forces but I don't know about the night elves. Thanks
05/15/2018 08:14 PMPosted by Sidonas
Is there any info on how night elves joined Illidan in Outland to become demon hunters? Wasn't the dark portal closed until the events of the Burning Crusade? I know the blood elves could have come from Kael'thas's forces but I don't know about the night elves. Thanks
https://youtu.be/M79j14JK_xE?t=48m14s
^This is a handy little primer of Illidan's story. The full thing is about an hour and a half long, but the pertinent point dealing with him entering Outland for the first time starts at about 48 minutes in. The link should take you right there.
"Illidan met Kael'thas Sunstrider, the descendant of the Highborn Dath'remar, and told the young monarch how to satisfy his addiction to arcane magic by tearing power from demons. Having temporarily earned the Sin'dorei prince's loyalty, he led a motley force of allies [...] in seizing control of Outland..."
https://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/know-your-lore-illidan-stormrage-the-betrayer/
As far as "how" the Night Elves came to find Illidan I can only find the following statement:
"During the years Illidan was in Outland, many elves sought him out because they had lost everything to the Burning Legion and wanted to devote themselves to its destruction."
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Demon_hunter
I'm not certain at this moment when the Dark Portal was reopened or by whom, but Illidan didn't use it to enter Outland. Not initially at least. I vaguely remember something mentioning that after he'd taken Karabor he put out a call to those who might heed his summons (iirc it was a brief mention in the book Illidan), and so I suppose it may be possible that the Dark Portal was used to ferry in groups of Night Elves but that's purely speculative on my part. We know the Blood Elf Demon Hunters came from the ones that followed Kael'thas into Outland, yet the Night Elves (it would seem) individually sought Illidan out. How they came by their portal into Outland is anyone's guess.
I have a couple lore questions.

1) What is the difference between a Dark Ranger and a High/Blood Elf DK? Like Dark Rangers are Elves that were killed and raised as Undead, right? Just like Death Knights, but they both look different.

2) This is really just a random small detail question, but do Worgen have a higher body temperature? Or no?
Thanks Caileanmor, I'll check the video out. Still haven't read the Illidan model, may have to rectify that. Guess I could always imagine my dh to be a former highborne mage or something that was good with portals
05/16/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Dardillien
What is the difference between a Dark Ranger and a High/Blood Elf DK? Like Dark Rangers are Elves that were killed and raised as Undead, right? Just like Death Knights, but they both look different.

Death knights are much more powerful than average undead, and have a few other unique traits, such as an innate need to inflict pain. Regular undead are very different. Anyone can be undead and anyone can be a death knight. Dark rangers are elves that are undead, and blood elf death knights are, well... blood elf death knights.

They're raised differently and therefore have varying powers and attributes.

05/16/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Dardillien
This is really just a random small detail question, but do Worgen have a higher body temperature? Or no?

Most creatures in the real world have relatively the same body temperature, since we all have moderately similar insides that are made from the same stuff; organs, veins, skin cells, blood, etc., that all require similar temperatures to operate.

For example, a small bat's body temperature is about 37C (98.6F), same as the average human and the average whale. Chickens, rabbits, pigs, cattle, cats, camel, mice, seals, and more are all in the same area. Most creatures operate in the 36C - 43C (96.8F - 109.4F) zone.

So, I'd say my answer is maybe, but if it is or isn't, it's not significant enough to really matter.
1 Like
According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), a temperature of 101 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit (38.3 to 39.2 degrees Celsius) is typical for dogs. :)
-google:average dog body temperature
05/16/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Sidonas
Thanks Caileanmor, I'll check the video out. Still haven't read the Illidan model, may have to rectify that. Guess I could always imagine my dh to be a former highborne mage or something that was good with portals
Thatā€™s a good option.
Another suggestion would be to meet up with a group of other Night Elves that are looking for the same thing, to reach Illidan. Or perhaps you search out an agent of the Illidari that takes you over. Or maybe youā€™re able to contact an Illidari demon who is then able to port you over.

Outland is a relative unknown at this time and with the Dark Portal closed itā€™d stand to reason that Illidan would provide a way for those seeking him to find him, if theyā€™re determined enough. Which you certainly would be. [edit] My own Night Elf Demon Hunter used the demon process. I've not had cause to go into a lot of detail but the gist is that over a long period of searching and study she found what she needed by summoning and binding a minor Illidari demon that was meant for just such a thing. Every bit of information that demon gave her was deadly or destructive in nature, meant to test and teach her as she found her way. Ultimately she found her way to Outland and the Black Temple via this minor demon, where she met up with a group of fellow would-be Demon Hunters.
Before I get into my question I would like to say this is the first time I have ever fully enjoyed a thread. Thank you OP and all who have participated.

With that out of the way I have a lore question for this character as far as how I could introduce him.

Being a Nightborne does that mean that the only thing he would know is that behind the magic barrier in Suramar? Or could / would it be viable to state that he was not barred from the rest of the world (Considering the fact he is a Rogue.). If no he would not be barred from the rest of the world; one of my favorite areas is Feralas then Sholazar basin / Grizzly Hills and was thinking of creating a back story around those areas.

If yes he would be barred from the rest of the world; what are some ways of introducing him?

Last thought:
Being a Nightborne would it be noteworthy to back up the shadow magic usage of Subtlety with being a nightborne since they are supposedly masters of all magic? Like say Role Playing him like a Thief/Mage?