Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

A lot of the taboo around the blight comes from the real world view on bio weapons because they tend to kill slowly/painfully and kill indiscriminately while leaving the area toxic after the fact.

Outside of the blight that resurrects its victims (sylvanis raises them with her own abilities not the blight) the examples shown in game and in their books actually kills fairly quickly. I don't want to try and copy paste the passage from the book but the strain she uses kills in about 10 seconds or so.

While i'm sure it is painful it is no more painful than being burned alive by a mages fireball which also kills just as indiscriminately.

In lore the biggest controversy (again outside of the plague that raises) is that the blight leaves the area uninhabittable
Back again because I’ve been having more ideas for Mithrandys.

I realize the idea might sound incredibly silly, so just bear with me here.

Is it possible for a blue dragon to forget it was actually a dragon for a few years, and to be stuck in another form until they remembered? In this case, an elf.

If so, how?
09/19/2018 04:28 PMPosted by Mithrandys
Is it possible for a blue dragon to forget it was actually a dragon for a few years, and to be stuck in another form until they remembered? In this case, an elf.

If so, how?
I love these kinds of questions. Taking "crazy" concepts and doing some mental gymnastics with the lore to genuinely make them work. This is some good stuff.

The easiest method I can think of for this outcome is a very complex, long-lasting polymorph. In this case, a polymorph into an elf.

Polymorphs can take a wide range of appearances. We've seen everything from sheep, to pigs, to giraffes, to monkeys, to penguins in-game, and there doesn't seem to be a limit to what kind of polymorphs can exist. We know that something as complicated as a blood elf is possible due to the Polymorphic Rules & Regulations, a set of laws dictated by the Kirin Tor relating to the polymorph spell (keep in mind, these rules just mean they're legally banned, not that they're impossible to do otherwise). Various mortal mages have created and disposed of at least one ethereal, dragonkin, "Mur-Elf" and "Amphibious Worgen." A regular blood elf would certainly be easier than those first two and... whatever those last two abominations were.

What sort of issues may arise from a polymorph of this nature and for this long? Well, we don't have to worry about going from a dragon to an elf. Rule #1 for polymorphing states you shouldn't turn a creature of lesser intelligence into a creature of higher intelligence. No worry here, as a blue dragon would almost certainly be incredibly more intelligent than a blood elf. As for the length of time, polymorphs tend to be short in length, but Rule #3 in the Polymorphic Rules & Regulations seems to hint that certain bad polymorphed creatures, like the Grypho-Hippo-Wyvern or Were-Whale, need to be disposed of. This seems to show that not all polymorphs wear off over time, so maybe yours didn't either.

So how did your character forget they were a dragon? According to the Warcraft II manual on the spell polymorph, it "alters the physical form of its target. This metamorphosis changes man to beast, forever warping both mind and body. This sorcery wholly transforms the victim into a creature of the wilds," Notice the "forever warping both mind and body" bit. Your character would be in the headspace of a blood elf after polymorphing.

How did you finally realize you were a dragon? It's likely the mental aspects of the spell would wear off, especially with further arcane use, considering you're a blue dragon and that's, like... your utter nature. I'm sure it'd jog some memories.

Oh, and the whole "it only works on the simple-minded," thing is from the movie and is non-canon. Beings of any level of intelligence can be polymorphed.

Further reading on polymorph rules set by the Kirin Tor:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Polymorphic_Rules_%26_Regulations

So, if you want to take this route with it, you just need to come up with a neat story about who would do this to your character, and why.
1 Like
1. I’m proud of you greenie! Polymorph is a great way to handle her story, however she should keep in mind that polymorphed creatures can’t use portals because they explode!

You can still teleport from what I can tell, but portals are a no go!
09/19/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Gidgith
1. I’m proud of you greenie! Polymorph is a great way to handle her story, however she should keep in mind that polymorphed creatures can’t use portals because they explode!

You can still teleport from what I can tell, but portals are a no go!

If that is the case, what is the difference between a portal and teleport (and for warlocks because i know rift tears are yet another thing)
09/19/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Rayha
If that is the case, what is the difference between a portal and teleport (and for warlocks because i know rift tears are yet another thing)
A portal is a hole through spacetime, with the standard size being a little over 3 yards in length, whereas a teleport is a personal movement of yourself through spacetime, like the Blink spell.

Similar to how Argus was accessed via a massive portal in the sky, but Dalaran was moved around Azeroth via a massive blink. We didn't fly through spacetime to get to Argus, we just physically flew through a rip in spacetime to gain access to its location. Dalaran did fly through spacetime though, as it was Blinked to Deadwind Pass, then to the Broken Isles.

They seem to be different enough that it'd work. Either way, if you want, you can throw some more flavor in there by expressing discomfort when utilizing Blinks or other teleports. Maybe your character just prefers to do her own teleporting as it's more trustworthy, and since Blinking already sucks, she hasn't bothered attempting a portal?
1 Like
Since you are fond of crazy lore ideas. I've been playing around with the idea of taking my non-OC character, who his basic idea is that is is a dragon from a shadow dimension. Poking into lore I like the idea that he is a netherdrake who is from/entered the Void. (His guise would be a Void Elf)

What would be the best way to bring this all together? Looking for his class to be Warlock (only cuz I dont have aWarlock yet.)
09/20/2018 12:02 AMPosted by Keraei
What would be the best way to bring this all together? Looking for his class to be Warlock (only cuz I dont have aWarlock yet.)
I think your general idea is already pretty solid.

Nether dragons are black dragons who've been heavily altered by the arcane energies of the Twisting Nether. They're semi-transparent, have crystalline growths and are fully sentient beings, capable of learning other languages, magic and taking on humanoid forms.

According to the Gates of the Abyss chapter in WCIII, some nether dragons were seen pouring out of the dimensional gateways and were implied to have been brought there from the Twisting Nether, instead of simply being magic-corrupted eggs. Most would chalk this up to just be retconned information, but with the new lore from A Thousand Years of War, it could actually work.

When Ner'zhul opened up countless portals across Outland, who's to say your dragon didn't fall into a portal leading to the Twisting Nether? They could've still been an egg or maybe a whelp at this point; either way, they would be forever altered by the chaotic magics within the Nether.

We know that time travels extremely differently there, and that a few decades here on Azeroth could be 1,000 years in the Nether, just as how Turalyon and Alleria experienced it. Your dragon could've grown in the Nether itself, learned about its magics and, perhaps, found itself in a corner of the Nether more filled with Void. Maybe instead of taking on many arcane-related mutations, they were more Void-centered. We know this is possible because Malygos himself tears a hole into the Nether to siphon specifically Void energies, attempting to "become Void," according to the quest A Forgotten Enemy.

However much time you'd like could've passed while your dragon was there, being altered by magics and learning about the magics her/himself. The portals would've opened in 8 ADP, and access from Azeroth to Draenor wouldn't be established again until 20 ADP, and the Burning Crusade wouldn't occur until 26 ADP. That's a lot of Azeroth time, which means it can be a ton of Nether time. Hundreds of years if you want. Since time fluctuates and there's no 1:1 ratio, you can say your dragon was there for however long you'd like, studying and learning.

Your dragon could've been trapped in the Nether learning about how to get out, while mastering the methods of the Void and fel magic that permanently surrounds them. Being in the domain of demons themselves would likely lead your character to wanting to bound and study them as best s/he could.
1 Like
Thanks a ton guys!
Hello

Is there any lore out on why Nelf Women have the facial tattoos.

Thanks
09/21/2018 05:40 AMPosted by Surfgirl
Is there any lore out on why Nelf Women have the facial tattoos.
According to the Stormrage novel, they're symmetrical markings worn exclusively by night elven females. Elegy, pages 7 and 20, go a bit further into detail, stating they are chosen sometime after adulthood, typically after achieving a significant rite of passage. Stylized claw marks are typical, and although they do not always have to mark a rite of passage, some night elves feel they should.

According to Dave Kosak, former Lead Narrative Designer for WoW, they generally represent a close tie with the natural world.
https://twitter.com/DaveKosak/status/528283325967106048
1 Like
05/31/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Cannibal
05/30/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Loranaris
How did the Lightforged secure food and other materials for themselves? I have an idea for a sort of salvager character who specialized in covertly acquiring supplies on certain worlds for the Army of the Light. Would that make sense?

We don't have any lore on it, but that seems most likely. We know they covertly secured elekks from Draenor after Turalyon joined up with them, so perhaps they'd go on food runs to other worlds and even Draenor itself.

We know from lore that mages can live on the food they conjure. Presumably they can feed others as well. That would have supplemented tight food supplies. And we know that Light-forged Mages are a thing.
08/02/2018 08:04 PMPosted by Cannibal
Lore Update!
It seems the speculation on blood elven aging is true. Blood elves appear to be biologically immortal, and only age and get frail from stress. This explains why King Anasterian was frail at 3,000, but why Alleria and Lorash look 20 at ages 3,800 and 7,300.

That would make blood elves the one immortal species of all the elves. It's a signicant lore change form the quel'dorei losing their immortality once they were cut off from Kalimdor and Nordrassil.
09/24/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Drahliana
We know from lore that mages can live on the food they conjure. Presumably they can feed others as well. That would have supplemented tight food supplies. And we know that Light-forged Mages are a thing.
That's new lore, released with Elegy, which came out August 6th. The post you quoted is from two months before that.

So yes, they could've subsisted on conjured mage food, but that information didn't exist when I answered the question.
1 Like
Does anyone have any other lore questions I can assist with?
1 Like
Do we have actual lore on what different dragonflight bloods and scales have for properties? I know I have done or read a quest or two that had them be significant as catalysts or alchemical reagents, but was curious if there was canon info on what exactly can do what.
10/02/2018 10:07 PMPosted by Tolbyas
Do we have actual lore on what different dragonflight bloods and scales have for properties? I know I have done or read a quest or two that had them be significant as catalysts or alchemical reagents, but was curious if there was canon info on what exactly can do what.
Not all of them, but a lot of them.

All dragon blood has undefined magical properties.<Vial of Dragon's Blood><Blood of Neltharion><Azurewing Blood><Sphere of Red Dragon's Blood>

All dragon scales have undefined magical properties,<Drakescale Collar> and can be used in making armor.<Worn Dragonscale>

All dragons have flame sacs that can be used in alchemical concoctions,<Small Flame Sac> bones (specifically spines as well) with undefined magical properties and used in particular rituals,<Dragonbone Talisman><Quest: Restoring Sanctity> and their fangs have undefined magical properties as well.<Drake Fang Talisman>

Black
Black dragon scales are a specific ingredient in the creation of Doomsday Candles, warlock inventions that zap unwanted demons from being summoned during rituals.<Doomsday Candle>

Black dragon hearts can be used as fiery enchantments on weaponry,<Quest: Fiery Blaze Enchantments> and their eyeballs have undefined magical properties.<Black Dragonspawn Eye>

Green
Green dragon blood can be used in a truth serum alchemical concoction when combined with the fungus of a bog beast and some panther hearts.<Quest: Nothing But The Truth>
1 Like
Neat, thanks. My blue likes to pawn off willingly donated blood and scales on the black market for money, but didn't know if that was actually viable. lol
10/02/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Tolbyas
Neat, thanks. My blue likes to pawn off willingly donated blood and scales on the black market for money, but didn't know if that was actually viable. lol
I'm sure dragon body parts go for a hefty price, whether they're specifically useful in something or not. It's like a more lucrative organ market due to the rarity.
1 Like
How long do nightsabers live? Do night elves have to keep raising new ones every 20 years or is there some kind of magic they use to extend the life of their companions to match their extremely long lifespans?