Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

The rank of Corporal immediately came to mind. Taking the pvp titles into consideration then Corporal would come before Sergeant, which seems to me to roughly mirror our Army Rank Structure. Using that as an example, it seemed reasonable that she'd be given command of a squad (about 12 soldiers) to see what she could accomplish, if she could be more than just another weapon. I imagined that being what she is would initially intimidate her soldiers, so that would be something she'd have to overcome.

On the other hand, being placed in a similar group of "special" forces would make sense. Being what she is. She could just as easily start out as any other member of this force and earn her command as she went through BfA.

Thanks for the input Irenas and Rayha! I appreciate your insight. ^.^ much to ponder.
Hi again!

In regards to Kul Tiras and the rest of the Alliance, did Kul Tiras completely shut themselves off from the Alliance after Daelin's death? As in no more trade, ship routes to and from being disconnected, etc?

I have a character who was born in Kul Tiras and lived there for a while before her and mother moved to Stormwind after the Second War (quite a few years before Jaina sails out west). So I wanted to know if it would have been possible for her to possibly go back to Kul Tiras for, say, a visit after the conclusion of the Third War?
Hello everyone!

My question has to do with doctors/surgeons and their relevance. All the healers we tend to see are priests so in my characters backstory I made him a priest who was specialized as a healer and surgeon, to later explain my forsaken rogues knowledge of human anatomy for his assassinations and his hatred of the light. My question is if makes sense for a priest would be involved in that level of medical assistance or is there a better profession in the lore for his backstory
How do Monks create wind and lightning?
Since they don't call upon the Elements like Shaman.
Also when they invoke Xuen is that Xuen actually coming to help or like an avatar of Xuen?
08/25/2018 01:11 AMPosted by Saerthe
In regards to Kul Tiras and the rest of the Alliance, did Kul Tiras completely shut themselves off from the Alliance after Daelin's death? As in no more trade, ship routes to and from being disconnected, etc?

I have a character who was born in Kul Tiras and lived there for a while before her and mother moved to Stormwind after the Second War (quite a few years before Jaina sails out west). So I wanted to know if it would have been possible for her to possibly go back to Kul Tiras for, say, a visit after the conclusion of the Third War?
There's a few appearances of Kul Tirans outside of Kul Tiras after the Third War and before BfA, but they're rather sparse and usually involve trading vessels. It seems like a rare occurrence, but still prominent enough to warrant a few mentions throughout the years. Plus, it's not like Kul Tiras just... vanished. Anyone who knew of its location post-Shattering after it got shifted further out to the Great Sea would be able to just sail back to it.

08/25/2018 02:24 AMPosted by Shandley
My question is if makes sense for a priest would be involved in that level of medical assistance or is there a better profession in the lore for his backstory
It's commonly headcanon'd and slightly supported in the lore that stitching and surgery is done prior to magical healing. Healing a massive, open gash would produce a huge scar, but sew it up first and then heal and the scar is much smaller.

Broken bones? You probably wouldn't want to heal those up, as it'd graft the bones together in their current positions. It'd likely be smarter to reset the bones and put whatever pieces exist in the right places, and then magically healing them.

08/25/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Hobbs
How do Monks create wind and lightning?
Since they don't call upon the Elements like Shaman.
Chi, or spirit energy, can be manifested in many different ways. It can be concentrated in fists and legs for powerful strikes and kicks, or manifested in arcing blows of magic and healing energies. Chi lightning and wind-related abilities are just methods of moving and controlling spirit energy.

08/25/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Hobbs
Also when they invoke Xuen is that Xuen actually coming to help or like an avatar of Xuen?
For the monk hero adventurer, it's likely that it's actually Xuen, since they're incredibly powerful and important. For the average monk, it's probably just an avatar of Xuen, yes.
1 Like
Hello all

I’ve finally created my guild and now before I start recruiting I want there to be a pretty solid backstory. Now I’ve already come up with a good reason for it’s creation with the help of the people that responded to my thread(Thank you Keraei and Fitrith).

My question now is a bit broad, any information is appreciated.

This particular character is creating a special unit for the Horde. It will be named Shadowcrest, which was his mother’s maiden name.

Would there be a war or battle that his mother would have died in, that would make her a sort of martyr for the Alliance? Like it was the Alliance’s fault that she died, a betrayal, friendly fire. Something of that nature.

(This wouldn’t have to be acknowledged by other RP guilds and I don’t intend it to be a big part of lore obviously. Just a small story for my guild.)
08/29/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Mythîc
Would there be a war or battle that his mother would have died in, that would make her a sort of martyr for the Alliance? Like it was the Alliance’s fault that she died, a betrayal, friendly fire. Something of that nature.
I'll need some more information. Was she alive when she died, or was she already undead? How many years ago, roughly, are you wanting this to have happened?
1 Like
08/30/2018 12:38 PMPosted by Cannibal
08/29/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Mythîc
I'll need some more information. Was she alive when she died, or was she already undead? How many years ago, roughly, are you wanting this to have happened?
She would have been alive when she died. And I would have want it to happen about 10 years before the third war.
08/30/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Mythîc
She would have been alive when she died. And I would have want it to happen about 10 years before the third war.
Sorry about the wait on this!

10 years before the Third War would be 10 ADP, a few years after the end of the Second War. As most conflict was coming to an end around this time, there wasn't too much going on, but if you're willing to back up the date of her death up a few years to 7 or 8 ADP, you have a lot more options.

By 7 ADP, most orcs were in small groups or living alone in the wilderness to avoid Alliance orc hunters. This is the same year the internment begins as well, and when Nethergarde Keep is established to keep watch over the Dark Portal. Nethergarde was a point of contention and clashes with orcs happened often; maybe a renegade Alliance captain used your character's mother as cannon fodder or like a living test subject surrounding the portal?
1 Like
Thank you!
08/31/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Mythîc
Thank you!
Hope that was enough information to figure out a good backstory you like. :)
1 Like
Hey Canni! Could you help me with my Highborne?

I'll start off by saying that I wanted Queen Azshara to be her idol.

I once lived in Zin'Azshari..it was an honor...a privilege...I was proud. When I was much younger, I was a hand-maiden to one of the Queens Counsilors. Queen Azshara was my idol..I wanted to be near her, and this was a way I could be.

My parents..they were very proud of me. They were proud to say their daughter was living in the Palace. Everything was perfect...until they came...

It was hectic, it was scary...I was so young..so scared, all I wanted were my parents, but I couldn't escape the palace...they were taking over...the Queen..she seemed so..confident in her decision..but I just felt like I was doomed..

I finally came across a mage opening portals for those attempting to flee, I took it, asking the mage to please find my parents if he could. He made no promises of course, but said if he could, he would.

I found myself in Winterspring, a place where I would remain for many, many years. Afraid to step out into the world around me.

It was much later that I decided to finally come out of hiding...Azeroth had been torn asunder, she was scared and needed help..and I wanted to help..

The Kaldorei didn't take kindly to me at first, though some warmed up..others still don't trust me..I do hope to eventually win them over.

No matter what, I will fight for my people, and for the Alliance!

I have her placed at around 13000 years of age, I'm not even sure if that's correct, but from other Highborne I've seen, they seem to be around that area.

Also, I think it's awesome you're doing this =)
08/31/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Pookaboo
Zin'Azshari
Zin-Azshari*

It was hectic, it was scary...I was so young
I have her placed at around 13000 years of age,
Her having that age is fine, but these two statements don't quite line up. By the time the War of the Ancients was occurring, your night elf would be over 3,000 years old, very well into adulthood (night elves reach adulthood at 18, like most races) and not really "so young" as you describe her.

The Kaldorei didn't take kindly to me at first, though some warmed up..others still don't trust me..I do hope to eventually win them over.
Highborne were only accepted in the general night elven population (ie Darnassus) in 28 ADP. It is currently 33 ADP as of BfA, so your character wouldn't have been widely accepted in night elven society until then.

Also, I think it's awesome you're doing this =)
Thanks. :) As always, feel free to disregard anything and everything I've stated if you just want to do your own thing. That's perfectly fine. Otherwise, I hope I was able to help some!
1 Like
Thanks Canni =D.

I may just stick with Kaldorei (A different version of my Druids story) since I'm more familiar with it, and I've no clue where to even begin with Highborne =)
I love this thread! I've read damn near every post inbetween mount grinding haha

I don't plan on RPing, my anxiety couldn't handle it and I don't think I have the skills for it these days, but I do love making OCs just for writing and drawing. I'm a big fan of Netherwings and their dragonflight, and decided to remix my mage I made when I was 14 (So about 7 years ago) into one.

From what I understand, Tyrygosa was the one overseeing the Netherwing flight and their development and created the theory that they needed a strong magical source to "save themselves" from...... something. The wiki doesn't go into detail from what I can see. Is that "something" to heal themselves from that vague "corruption" the wiki also mentions? Is it to shake off the shackles of orc enslavement? Or do they just need to eat a bunch of magic to keep some level of stability considering their bodies are sort of phased into two dimensions?

Whatever the reason, I hope it to be a good excuse for my dragon (Whom I will call Darkeraku for now) to take up a blood elf guise due to that race's tendency to eat whatever magic they could pry off of something pre-sunwell renewal
08/31/2018 10:41 PMPosted by Midnera
Is that "something" to heal themselves from that vague "corruption" the wiki also mentions? Is it to shake off the shackles of orc enslavement? Or do they just need to eat a bunch of magic to keep some level of stability considering their bodies are sort of phased into two dimensions?
It's a mix of all those things, though the prevailing issue was some of the Netherwing's apparent insanity. Many of them seemed to suffer from it (though not all), and it's not quite clear whether its residual insanity from their Black dragon days, or a side effect of some other means. I'm personally leaning towards the former, as that seems most likely.

During the Nexus Point comic that goes into detail about this, Tyrygosa discovers that nothing can save the nether dragons unless an immensely powerful arcane source can revitalize them to be "freed." In this sense, it seems she's concerned with their enslavement by the Dragonmaw, though it's not too clear how a massive amount of arcane would help that. She worked with Kadavan and Zzeraku to bring a few subjugated Netherwings to the Nexus on Azeroth to try and cure them.

Zzeraku, however, wanted to attain freedom in a different manner. His broken mind led him to betray Tyrygosa and attempt to take control of Azeroth for himself, waking the also-insane Malygos, who in turn absorbed all the present Netherwing's energies.

The vagueness of her goals may be a side effect of poor translation to the Wowpedia page. Nexus Point is one of the few publications I haven't gotten my hands on yet, so I only know as much on this specific subject as what's available here:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Netherwing_dragonflight

If you're super into Netherwing lore, this is pretty much their main focus in the lore aside from the Burning Crusade. I'd suggest getting a copy for yourself so you have the information directly from the source. :)
https://www.amazon.com/Warcraft-Tokyopop-Richard-Jae-Hwan-Paperback/dp/B00QD9NGLW
1 Like
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction, outside of just Wowpedia, of some reading on the Thorium Brotherhood.

I'm planning on Thaed here being a very young member, having grown up in the brotherhood (hes 22 right now) and I want to read all I can on it so can build a well rounded profile.
09/04/2018 07:11 AMPosted by Thaed
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction, outside of just Wowpedia, of some reading on the Thorium Brotherhood.
The Thorium Brotherhood has no publications centered around them, so everything that appears on their Wowpedia page is all that we have, unfortunately.
1 Like
That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure. That just means I have a decent amount of wiggle room without worrying about hitting any real lore contradictions.

I plan on Thaed's parents being loyal members of the Brotherhood. Thaed was set up as an apprentice Smith as soon as he could hold a hammer but he was more inspired by the Paladins he'd encounter from the Alliance. From there he found he had an affinity for the Light and left Searing Gorge with the blessing of his parents to train amongst the Argent Dawn/Crusade.

Haven't gotten much further than that.
09/04/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Thaed
I plan on Thaed's parents being loyal members of the Brotherhood. Thaed was set up as an apprentice Smith as soon as he could hold a hammer but he was more inspired by the Paladins he'd encounter from the Alliance. From there he found he had an affinity for the Light and left Searing Gorge with the blessing of his parents to train amongst the Argent Dawn/Crusade.
Sounds great so far! I agree though, it does offer some nice wiggle room.
1 Like