Looking to the future for Night Elves

And maybe you shouldn’t have started it.

Anyway, you going to post about the actual topic or you just going to keep pretending you have any high ground?

Fine I will start then since you won’t.

What was it about the OPs statement that Horde has to pay reparations to Night Elves that you find objectionable?

I don’t understand your post at all.

2 Likes

I didn’t note it was objectionable, I just noted that it would be better served as a narrative to mirror a social commentary on modern-day reparation.

1 Like

Which modern day reparation did you want the Horde’s atrocity to be mirrored on and how exactly is that going to look like in Wow gameplay?

I agree with this!

The Alliance returning fire on the Horde is perceived as more controversial then when the Horde kill Alliance children. It’s pretty much fact. We can expect Teldrassil to be ignored. If the Alliance do get an opportunity to advance on the Horde it will be for thin, demonstrable reasons to ease the Horde’s conscience or lack thereof.

1 Like

The Battle of Lordaeron happened and nothing changed, so something else needs to be worked out. With Sylvanas disposed and members of the Horde being friendlier with the Alliance, then reparations can be discussed. The Alliance returning fire at this point would just start a chain reaction and more people will die.

1 Like

Yeah, ergo it’s more likely to happen now. UC never was meant to do anything, that’s why Sylvanas gains the ability to fly to escape it. The Alliance should have returned fire in a meaningful way when it made sense for the story. And would have been a fulfilling action to take, for the Alliance.

3 Likes

IMO same future as all the rest of the lore with the current team: attempt to replace what was there and what people loved by whatever the devs have convenient time working with.

Probably it won’t, because horde is not “new” and better than ever before (according to the devs), so all must be forgiven and forgotten. Since you know, that’s a good story, and otherwise - vengeace (for who know what exactly it is in the eyes of the devs and why it is unconditionally worse than every other option in every imaginable situation).

You can see the current dev opinion about the topic in the PTR stonewrite handwawing that not forgiving is a bad-bad option.

So, the only thing so far that could be done, is to pull the narrative team from their current above criticism position. So that when the problems of the game are discussed, it’s not just the gameplay features, but they are also acknowledged as a source of problems.

gl hf

4 Likes

The battle for lordaeron failed to bring anyone to justice or right any wrong.

All it did is damn every single Horde leader that could have had any plausible deniability to the atrocity.
Actually i would include the Horde players as well.

Its one thing to be mislead initially but sticking with the big bad purposefully fully knowing their evil actions? You can’t excuse that.

3 Likes

I feel like I’m bellyflopping onto a bomb by asking this question, and I know it’s pointless of me to speculate since a fantasy story can go in any direction it wants, but:

Do war reparations actually work for establishing peace? I thought it was one of the reasons that lead to WW2 because the economic damage embittered the survivors and it became a breeding ground for nationalism, or something like that.

Don’t expect any reparations if the Night Elves didn’t even get Ashenvale back. The Horde didn’t seem to be interested to return it because they have nothing to fear, and Anduin seemingly didn’t think it was worth pushing for it considering the state of the Night Elves and their uselessness after BfA.

I don’t think how reparations could happen in any way, the Horde is still proud of what they did to them too.

I don’t know what you mean by meaningful? It makes sense for them to go for Undercity - it was the home of Sylvanas and her most loyal. Also it seems most strategic because it would be easier for the Alliance to hold.

It would be mostly fluff lore and seen in ambient quest text, preferably after a time-skip to let the situation of losing your nation come to fruition much more significantly on the culture.

Such as shoddy housing or lack of employment leading to horrible living conditions in Stormwind, which then causes the Night Elf situation on the Eastern Kingdoms to mirror real-world cultures and struggles.

Something akin to the talks of reparations to African Americans or the fight for Romani to be seen as a culture despite prejudices from those around them.

As mentioned in the first post I made in this thread, Orcs could fight against the idea of reparations by pushing a generational gap/it doesn’t matter anymore and Humans could’ve let some racial prejudice seep into their culture due to a prevalence of poor living conditions creating a culture where some turn to crime. Similar to how Darkspear in Cataclysm were framed as good-for-nothing thieves in Orgrimmar and you received quests to kill them, despite the Orcs being the ones which forced them to live in slums and have to steal to survive.

While realistically it would take hundreds of years to achieve such a cultural shift in the world, World of Warcraft works on expedited time and could do it within one or two generations.

It works if the writers decide that it works. And the fact that the Horde gets to keep Ashenvale to destroy and blight it is really disgusting.

2 Likes

She got to litterally take flight away from her master plan trap, rendering even the battle itself fruitless for the Alliance. Something your average Alliance fan would observe as obviously a fruitless, meaningless, excuse to mark off a tally against Teldrassil.

Undercity is lost for the Horde. I think the most affected Horde race because of this is the Orcs, because they’re mad the Undead stink, and their obligations have them housing the refugees in Orgrimmar.

Then wouldn’t the opposite be true for the Alliance? That the burning failed because Malfurion and Tyrande didn’t die?

The Alliance didn’t destroy Undercity, Sylvanas did. Nice try. Not to mention they might as well have died, considering the Alliance characters were placed in mortal danger, saved only from the Horde. By the Hordes own “redeeming” qualities. No one was in danger during the SoL., except for everyone Anduin has to save. Imagine that.

3 Likes

So in short inconsequential dialogue lines or some short references in a book?

I don’t think Alliance players would enjoy more punishment as you describe it as looking to the future.

I don’t know if this is a bait or just plain in poor taste. I fail to see how the African American reparations hundreds of years later after the horrific atrocities and continued systemic racism is any way comparable what one nation has done to another.

So your idea is to kill some beggars in major cities to show economic troubles?

1 Like