Logs shouldn't exist or should be opt-out

Tell me something I don’t know. I wasn’t commenting on whether surveillance happens, but rather peoples’ reaction to it.

Yes, so my point was, you know, go react to the actual surveillance that might actually affect your life and privacy, and keep these video game things in perspective. :wink:

I’ve seen plastic straws and their effects on wildlife. It’s pretty heartbreaking. If you’re properly disposing a plastic straw into a plastic recycling bin or at least a garbage then I don’t see the issue. If the garbage is dumped into the ocean then I don’t see how that’s the consumers fault

I work in data. It’s funny the things people freak out or care about. I can assure you that you are almost certainly a nobody to the US government. You are a data point rolled up into aggregate data points and even still you can’t even get different departments much less agencies to even agree on the same things to care about and be interested in. The healthcare world is even worse. Even something as basic as testing names and values can vary widely.

You know what you should be much more scared/concerned over? Big businesses. The hunger and desire for your data and for it to paint a very full/complete picture of you is scary indeed. At an old job, whose technogical prowess is/was barely even mid 2000’s, had an absolute obsession with our customers and being able to get nitty and gritty and predict their needs/wants. You went on our site, it was tracking each and every page and if your engagement. Sales reps knew what pages you browsed, how long you were on it, and if you sought out additional info deeper on the page and all that got fed up to their CRM that they would use in their selling pitches to you. You had a 10 point scoring index indicating how “on fire” you were deemed. They had notes and profiles on the contacts down to anything personal they could glean so themselves/future reps could bring it up to seem more personable. Like “hey, last we spoke you told me you had a grandchild expecting. Did that turn out ok?” Most of the clients were older and that personable touch won over more sales than I would’ve thought otherwise.

I don’t fear the government beyond the slightest having my data. Heck I’d give them more of it if it means I could get things from them faster/easier. I’m way more leery on what capitalist orgs want and are doing with it. If my previous employer doing a few million a year annually selling stuff to older folks and backwards technologically speaking could do as much as they did, I can only fathom what a company really investing and competent at it is doing.

WoW though? Again all I can do is eyeroll. The foundation of all this is already off. You and your character have no inherent expectation of privacy. Your toon isn’t yours and data you generate with your toon isn’t private by nature. You may want it to be, but fundamentally it isn’t and has never been and realistically can never be. You can’t stop other people in your groups and their addons from working and you can’t block your inputs to the encounter otherwise the game doesn’t even work. If your damage was invisible, the boss would suddenly just die while displaying health and/or mechanics triggering at percentage thresholds would just go off without players being prepared. It just doesn’t work. You don’t want to be judged? The onus is on you to avoid group content. Plain and simple.

4 Likes

How did we get to this

From this

Maybe if we’re talking about 25+'s or something. Taking the time to actually look up people’s logs would end up with 80% of people no longer in queue to invite by the time you investigated them for most keys.

We hear from GD all the time that they are circling oribos for hours. People do stay in queue long enough to look through their run histories and a little extra.

That’s so weird to me. I just look at io/gear–have never looked up anyone’s logs before. Lol

I don’t look up logs, but I do look through their RIO run history.

1 Like

I look at IO a bit more indepth.

Like for a 23, I won’t invite you if it’s going to give you 0 IO. You have no real reason of being there, and I have to wonder what your motive is. So I won’t take a chance and just get the guy who needs it for IO.

If you want a system that requires your permission, then you don’t want opt-out… you want opt-in

Because people brought it up.

I could ask how we got onto plastic straws too, but then, I took the time to read the thread so I saw that, you know, people brought it up, so that’s how.

:roll_eyes:

First, there not your logs, Blizzard owns them, you rent space here. It’s not like private information about you personally, calm down.

I wonder why?

Improve, problem solved…

1 Like

No different than sports players’ stats being recorded/made public. It’s not damning/sensitive information.

We’re talking about combat logs, not credit card numbers.

2 Likes

Talk about hyperbolic.

They are allowed because Blizzard allows, they are not “yours” per say.

And if you’re wondering, they are REALLY valuable information that players need to perform well and push content.

Example:

• Hey why are we wiping on said boss?
  • Uh you guys are not interrupting/low dps/not dispelling etc

There you go.

Six of one, my friend.

make parses available in game instead of thru a logging program. this is a better idea.

1 Like

Not even close.