Locking stable flying but not skyriding to pathfinder is stupid

As silly as it is, it is their game. And if they think dynamic is better overall for wow…
:dracthyr_shrug:

They’ve implemented and phased out pretty useful things. Still salty they gave us reforging and took it away.

I didn’t watch that. I generally don’t watch Panels or do Beta tests. Often times they talk about stuff that then get cut, lol. I played WoW since Launch so yeah I seen it all.

Honestly trying to phase out Steady Flight is an attack on flying. The coolest part at TBC was flying. Throughout TBC and WotLK people wanted to also fly in Vanilla zones. That is the reason why Cataclysm happened.

Yeah… I am not the biggest fan of Dragonflying. I found it annoying, and limited especially in short-distance flying close to the ground. It is fine, if you are high up in the air and you can utilize each soar to its max. As soon as you fly like in a forest between trees, where you can get stuck at branches or trees it sucks.

Dynamic Flight got an upgrade over Dragon Flying, definitely. Since the patch I don’t feel like the mount looses as much speed as fast as before. The thing I didn’t like before is still there, without using Soar and having enough space to utilize it… it can get tricky to regain Vigor. Unless you are super high in the sky and you can just nose dive. But even then the rate at which you regain Vigor is pretty limited.
I just don’t like how punishing it feels to me if you make a mistake or fly through harder areas. When it is easy to fix, add the Vigor regen you get when close to the ground simply whenever you’re not soaring at max speed and just gliding at low speeds. That would make it smoother. But yeah then you would loose some of that “challenge” quite some people like.

Which is why Steady Flight should still be there and… not locked whatsoever. Pathfinder needs to die in all iterations, all it is is gating of a mechanic that is similar in function to Dynamic Flight.

4 Likes

It seems fair to me to have both flying options under the same circumstances. Why the heck not?

6 Likes

If anyone has any proof for this, imo that would be better than making accusations.

2 Likes

I agree. What I’ve seen written by my “fellow players” is so disturbing that it makes me not want to participate in this game any longer.

2 Likes

The raiders, the only people Ion has ever cared about.

2 Likes

This forum is open to all kinds of people as is the game. We don’t know the people behind the avatar. I’ve seen so many horrible things posted here I’m not surprised anymore.
WoW has a large clientele which includes criminals and racial supremists.
Just saying.
Meanwhile, Blizz please listen to your players on this matter. Don’t make pathfinder a thing at all.

5 Likes

If we are going to address the nuance of the different ways they’ve tried to achieve the same goal: giving flying without ‘giving-away’ flying. Or ‘giving access to flying at the right time.’

Vanilla/OG 2004 release - No flight, regarded by some as the ‘purist’ version that should be the design standard for flying (meaning, no flying at at all). Or ‘purest’ version, if people are in an argument about it xD.

TBC - Midway between 60-70 (67 iirc), gained access by paying gold for training. Faster flight license for higher gold amount at level 70. Flight access only in Outland zones.

WOTLK - Midway between 70-80 (77 iirc), gained access by paying gold for training. ‘Fastest’ flight tied to specific mounts. Flight only in Northrend zones.

Cata - Available at beginning of the expansion for players level 60+, gained access by paying gold for training. ‘Old world’ flight tied to Cataclysm zones. Higher speed flight license required for faster flight speeds. Flight access through all of Azeroth, including the newest zones.

MoP - Available at level 90, gained access by paying gold fee to trainer. Additional flying for Cloud Serpents tied to Reputation. Flight access through Pandaria zones only.

WoD - Available at level 90 (once unlocked through pathfinder), gained access through gold + achievement. Draenor flight access only, but increases flight speed to fastest speed for all your mounts (310%).

Since WoD is where PF started, was the most convoluted (was a lot more than completing the main zone quests for each campaign, it required Loremaster for Draenor, collection achievements for the treasures in each zone, AND a few other requirements), I won’t list any more. PF has gotten simpler, requiring less since WoD, but that’s also because it’s been nerfed as needed, too.

If I am being objective about Pathfinder, it represents gaining access through the completion of a specific set of in game activities, independent of other requirements. But was also representative of design that locked it behind a time gate arbitrarily, creating a situation where new characters created post 6.2 would be able to level from 90 to 100 with flying, vs characters prior to 6.2 not being able to use flying for leveling at all.

Vs

Flying prior to WoD being an inconsistent feature they’ve tried to include in every expansion in some way, but the game’s access of it wasn’t tied to completing activities, rather it was gated behind a level requirement and usually some fee.

Cata added flight at the start and made it available for the leveling experience of 80-85, rather than forcing you to level first/complete new expansion content first. Additionally, players could unlock it at level 60 for their journey through all the expansions, TBC flight requirements shifted to level 60 for slow flight, at that point.

MoP returned to granting access at the level cap, moving backward from Cata. WoD Wanted to avoid flying altogether, then launched with a plan for 6.2 release and had pathfinder available earlier so players could have it completed for the addition of flight to draenor.

That was a world without skyriding and the shared design space of ‘flying travel.’ It makes sense to do something to bring these two flying features in line with each other, whether that’s accessing both at level 10, without a requirement, or putting both behind pathfinder and letting the game handing mount training the way it always has, but would require not having skyriding available at level 10.

If that remained in the game as a feature for use in Dragon Isles, 10-70, we would still have a similar situation as before, with Skyriding needing to be available too.

For consistency, I okey with locking both behind OR having both available at 10. But not the current iteration. It’s a bad design choice.

3 Likes

If you’d like to be more specific, we might be able to understand what you are trying to communicate here.

1 Like

That sounds reasonable to me.

That is why decoupling PF requirements from TBC normal flying in TWW is the supreme objective.

This is because it will give people coming back to the game or even those unable to use DR an opportunity to play how they feel comfortable. Playing a game with comfort is the ultimate goal.

My issue beyond the toxicity it breeds is that there is a legit reason to decouple PF from TBC normal flying. That legit reason is that BlizZard called it an accessibility tool. Okay, if that is the case then why lock it behind a grind whether it takes hours, days, or a week for players? The math isn’t mathing as Dave Ramsey says.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

4 Likes

I do find it interesting that you are placing the blame on players for how the two flight modes are being handled, and not Blizzard.

Nobody asked Blizzard to do it this way. The only thing that players asked for was to not have to wait nearly a full year for Pathfinder to finally allow them to fly. They asked for steady flight to be available sooner. And Blizzard listened to those people.

Yeah, I don’t get how it’s the fault of people who don’t care or just adapt. It wasn’t our change but it’s not a game breaker either. We all have to do it or not reg fly :person_shrugging:

But again its stuck behind a Pathfinder…that is the issue now…Disabled players are being treated like second class players by telling them you’ll have to do pathfinder in order to use Steady flight all while others that can use Dragon flying on Day 1 of TWW…

And no I don’t care if its easy peasy to get Pathfinder done it shouldn’t be there in the first place if there is no Pathfinder too Dragon Flying…as the saying goes…What’s good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

8 Likes

Also with early access all that is happening is we are further segregating players and with busted phasing tech it will feel like an empty world.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

3 Likes

It’s not just locked for disabled players. That narrative is tired and old now. If any of us want it, we ALL have to do it

1 Like

This would be true of all feedback on the forum, including yours.

1 Like

Thank you for making my point.

I don’t think our feedback is useless just because only a percentage of customers use the forums. Blizzard responds to feedback, that’s why Steady Flight still remains in the game.

3 Likes

I never said it was useless. What I said was that a group of a few hundred drawing the conclusion that they speak for millions of people is nonsense.

They speak for themselves. We have no idea how the millions of players feel.

You commonly dismiss opinions you don’t like because only a percentage of customers use the forums.

3 Likes