Locking stable flying but not skyriding to pathfinder is stupid

They have a lot of things that they need to fix to be honest. And the are way more quests bugged in TWW where people will not be able to finish quest chains. Lets see if these next 1 to 2 builds address all these issues. But if not…oh

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

1 Like

Hummingbirds say hello.

I bet the majority of customers do like Skyriding, that doesn’t mean you can’t please the Steady Flight customers too. This is not a binary choice.

9 Likes

Only people that think it is a binary choice also think that raiding is the only game in town and M+ has no place.

But M+ is just as a valid of a gearing method for end game for many player as raiding is.

That is why gating one over another will cause issues of avoidable friction.

So with TWW here is what BlizZard is doing:

1. Trying to cause friction between those that prefer DR over TBC normal flying. Or, those that prefer TBC normal flying over DR.

But there is also a segment of players that use both DR and TBC normal flying. And in their haste to cause a community rift the community rejected that binary choice of choosing either DR OR TBC normal flying.

Hence, why we see the backlash against the five second toggle switch. The backlash against the toggle switch was predictable because the community is wiser to these divide and conquer tactics as we saw with the water strider. They use the mount equipment as a trojan horse to nerf the water stride. As soon as that goal was accomplished they abandoned the mount equipment.

DR was supposed to the trojan horse to phase out TBC normal flying but the player community rejected that planted narrative. But right now DR is supposed to be evergreen but BlizZard has started dialing back and making SR worse than DR was in DF in terms of QoL.

1. Cause friction with the M+ and raiding community by making the M+ worse experience to make raiding more appealing in TWW.

This type of strong arming of devaluing M+ and TBC normal flying to make raiding and DR more appealing causes more friction.

What happens is people are more reinforced on what they believe and what they prefer as a game mode or tool.

BlizZard’s current design paradigm of weakening a tool or game mode to strengthen another is faulty logic and bad game design.

We need to call out such bad game design every step of the way.

Feedback matters!

:thinking:

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

9 Likes

Maybe Blizzard needs to start policing their forum and getting rid of people who are on it that make up and spread misinformation trying to stir up the pot.

1 Like

And this is why respecting player time is so vital in a MMORPG like WoW.

Most players will skip all the cut scenes, quest text and zoom right through the campaign to unlock a tool like TBC normal flying.

That is the new normal that BlizZard has caused as a result of their patchfinder shenanigans.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

6 Likes

Listen you are going to do the requirements for pathfinder either way as you level your 1st toon up. Its not like you have to do anything extra that you would be doing either way. Stop acting like they are abusing your time. Because they are not.

1 Like

It actually isn’t possible. And we know this because of how people use it.

If folks are just using it to fly with, then there’s no problem and none of this is relevant to anyone. At that point TWW is, at worst, just the same as literally every other expansion that you level your character on the ground and hit the air when at max level, which you do around the conclusion of the campaign. Of course in other expansion you’d then also have to wait several months so…
From the perspective of “Steady Flight customers”, TWW is just as good and in fact vastly better than every other expansion. Arguably even TBC since there’s no prohibitive cost to it.

But that’s not how people use it. Folks use it to afk, there’s a reason why “Flying” was synonymous with “afking in mid air” prior to DF and come DF it then changed to reflect its current status and use: “TBC afking.”
It has been explained time and time again, even by Blizzard even if they chose to use fewer scathing words, why a mobile afk platform has an horrendous spoiler effect on the game. So no, one cannot please the complaining “Steady ‘Flight’ customers” because their request is nonsense, detrimental to the game, and is rooted in a well documented concept called “Induced Demand.

In WoW, the insane convenience of TBC AFK:ing aka. Steady Flight/TBC Flying, causes the same strangulated effect as demonstrated in the video.

And it has been documented again and again, both on these forums and in-game. And as I have stated before, it has been so bad at times in WoW that during Mists of Pandaria it was a meme that folks did not see the two Mogu statues in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. It isn’t a binary choice, it is an interconnected design choice. Everything in WoW is affected by how the world is designed, and how the world is designed is dependant on how we travel across it. So no, one cannot “please” these types of players because what they are asking for is literally strangling game- and world design, and have done so for 17 years.

1 Like

If steady flight is so bad for the game, why can we get it after only 8 hours of game play?

5 Likes

Watch what Blizzard had to say on that very thing, They believe the way people use steady flight should be avoid the 1st time through the leveling experience. After that they have no issue opening it up, they use pathfinder as the tool in doing this.

Hey everyone including myself abuses the heck out of steady flight and what you can do with it and have done this ever since TBC. All the tricks in using it, I have used myself to get an edge in the game, if its PVP, if its gathering, if it snipping rares. AFKing in the air. name it all, I have done it with steady flight. The whole time laughing and saying this is some lame :poop: But as long as it is there I will use the heck out of it for my gain.

I also said many times they needed to do something about bringing to life something new with flying because flying as it was before they brought in skyriding was as boring and lame as all heck. It was just strictly a tool without any future development because TBC flight was too simple minded to be developed into anything more on its own.

Skyriding has open a door way to future development, now we have to wait n see.

Because people couldn’t accept its removal from the game.

… that’s literally it. The entire reason why it still exists in the game after 17 years is literally explained in its entirety by that single sentence. Now it is a bit more complicated due to largely folks starting to call it an accessibility feature long before Blizzard mentioned it as a way to call people ableists for using Dragonriding. This talking point started out in the DF beta and wasn’t shared by basically anyone except forum contrarians and trolls. So now it exists as a pseudo accessibility feature but also not really.

But the real answer at its core is still a case of that players refusing to “step out of the car” and some have made it their personality to behave like the people have been in this thread and others. At this point, since folks refused to do that, Blizzard turned it on its head and instead chose to expand the world far beyond what TBC flying was built for, making it less relevant. It still pose a significant detriment to the game’s overall health but this is Blizzard’s attempt to make that detriment far less relevant.

If using the road as an example since this is still about induced demand … essentially Blizzard has established that highways are now a requirement in WoW, and it cannot exist without it. So to diminish the downsides of this kind of induced demand and non-interactivity, they made it so players have a choice to make:

Either use an old bulky ineffective and bad for neigh on everyone on the road SUV, one that magically can always stay on the road but you are also stuck in first gear at all times. Or you get access to a Ferrari that has an inbuilt requirement for you to stop and find lodging whenever you aren’t actively driving as it doesn’t have this magical non-engagement mode, and it drives so many times faster that the entire world has to be enlarged to fit it.

1 Like

The “old bulky ineffective” is what some of customers need for flying. You want to use a Ferrari, please go right ahead, but allow Steady Flight for those of us that need it.

6 Likes

To think they will remove steady flight would be their biggest mistake and almost cost them back in warlord and so to think as much would be a mistake on your part. I for one didn’t support previous incarnation of the pathfinder and support the TWW version because it’s available on day one and previously 365 days later and also this one is a lot simpler to get than say any of those other ones.

They allow Steady Flight, after a very extremely tiny delay in TWW. While there are still other options on the table to get the job done the 1st time leveling. You may use a ground mount, a Skyriding Method of flight, or you can even walk if that is more your pace. But for the 1st time threw leveling which will unlock pathfinder because you will pretty much complete all the requirements at the same time as you level your 1st toon. After that your beloved Steady Flight is unlocked for the rest of the xpac on all other toons.

Its pretty reasonable overall, but unfortunately some of folks on here will not accept this new compromise.

1 Like

I understand the pathfinder requirements for TWW.

The person I was replying to talked about how fast (like a Ferrari) skyriding is and that steady flight is bad. I was explaining that some customers need steady flight for accessibility reasons. My reply was not about how long or short pathfinder is.

4 Likes

So every flying thing and creature in wow is a hummingbird now?
They can only function like that because of their size fyi lol.

Probably, but I bet the majorty doesn’t care about pathfinder existing. So what’s your point?

They did. They removed the vast majorty of requirements from pathfinder. And its timegate.
Blizz chose more than a middle ground. Which is why they got cheering when they announced pathfinder during blizzcon lol.

2 Likes

Did I say that? Nope.

my point came in the later part of the sentence you chopped off:
I bet the majority of customers do like Skyriding, that doesn’t mean you can’t please the Steady Flight customers too. This is not a binary choice.

6 Likes

8 hours of game play is a poor justification for something that supposedly breaks the balance of the game.

But BlizZard is okay with players having three days of early access aka 72 hours.

3 Likes

No one but the folks with a victim complex in this, and threads like these, are the ones pretending that folks aren’t allowed to.

Play the game at a bare minimum level, and you have it. That’s it.
If you have some kind of disability or other reason that means that you cannot play the game at a bare minimum level, flying can’t help you. No matter what kind of flying it is.

Regardless, none of what you have said addresses any of the other issues that are very real and caused by TBC flying’s ability to afk. What Blizzard has settled on is a compromise that works better for the majority of people than the negligible number of people complaining who… simply would’ve just complained about something else to get their social media fix anyway.

Except it didn’t. Warlord had other issues but folks just stuck onto the mantra of “we blame it on the lack of flying” despite that WoD got exponentially worse when people could fly. Because at that point there was even less game for people to play, meaning that folks didn’t do anything if they could help it.

Warlords had other issues, and the lack of flying became an excuse and mantra by and for people who didn’t want to explore what those issues were. And we see the exact same thing in this thread and everywhere else on the internet: a complex situation with a lot of interconnected issues gets boiled down to… memes.
Warlord dying due to the lack of flying is a meme. Not reality.

Why settle for one day when we can do no days of PF?

At this point BlizZard has to put aside their ego on this one for an easy win.

6 Likes