Loaning gold with interest

What don’t you like? Keep in mind, I’m coming up with this on the spot. If a dev team spent time figuring it out it would be more polished.

I already have a car payment. Why would I commit to a gold payment!?

3 Likes

We’re adventures not bankers.

Your playing the wrong game.

2 Likes

It’s not sunday.

1 Like

Loaning money out to players at all is something I would only ever consider for my community and friends, to start.

Paying interest on a loan from a rando, the possibility of that rando just quitting the game or never paying you back is an abhorrent risk for a game where gold falls from the sky and is purchasable via token.

Garnishing “wages” from defaulting players would also ruin their game and probably make them simply quit the game. Remove their collectibles too? You’ve got a recipe for wildfire here, and it’s not going to end well under any circumstance.

That’s not even going into the point raised earlier that this WILL BE USED for gold selling.

3 Likes

interesting story…in EVE someone started a bank. With big interest rates.

everyone knew from day 1 that the ‘banker’ will eventually steal all the money and run. but you know what they did?

they invested anyway. If they get out before the heist, then they win. risk-reward worth it.

You can do that by getting money from IRL bank and then buy tokens.

Yes, it’s a bit third party, but raider io is third party and everyone is okay with that

1 Like

systems already exists in game for you to get as much gold as you could ever need or want. Farming, playing the AH, or buying/selling game coins. There is no need or desire for a loan system because its anathema to what they want which is for you to spend hrs playing the game.

1 Like

Those are all extreme responses I came up with in response to extreme circumstances. If a player has so little in vestment in the game that they’re willing to just abandon their account then they would be very low on the list of people I’d personally loan gold to.

Just like how irl banks vet their customers for loans so would a loaning service in game. The vetting would be supported by Blizz. It could include time played, number of characters, amount of collateral, achievements, etc. The more invested someone is in the game the safer they would be as a customer and more likely to qualify for a loan. Also, Blizz would be able to determine how much is a reasonable loan to any given person based on the criteria above.

lastly, Blizz could even ensure your loan up to a point but that’s way above my head.

Why should Blizzard take on the role of Azerothian bank teller? And why do we need this system in place at all?

They’d take the role if they implement the system because they want the systems in their game to work smoothly. And i already mentioned a few reasons why the system could be in game. making gold making more in depth was one of those reasons.

Their intent seems to make gold less in-depth, considering how tightly they’ve restricted gold generation in BFA. There is no reason for Blizzard to do any of this, nor any demand from the playerbase to make it so.

1 Like

Neither of us have any solid data to show what the player base wants. Not just with this idea but anything else. I certainly think it’d be cool. I don’t think gold generation is tight at all right now either, you can make millions just selling feasts. I think having a loan system in game could make gold making even more fun.

I can tell you yours is the first post I have ever seen on this forum advocating for such an ingrained gold-loaning system in WoW, and if my experience teaches anything, likely the last.

GD is not even close to a representation of WoW players my dude.

1 Like

Sure don’t see anyone talking about it in game either, and I’m not exactly an antisocial butterfly.

that’s the definition of anecdotal evidence. Check this, I head people talking about it, therefore there is demand.

So, you want them to develop and administer a complex banking system so the people who already have tons of money can make more with even less effort and tell themselves it’s got more depth? Am I understanding it correctly or did I miss something?

Close. People with less money could also use the capital to make more money. i think emulating something resembling an irl bank is kinda fun.

Anecdotal evidence is all you have.

You want something more substantial? You know what happens when the community wants its voice heard?

See the contrast between “muh gold loans” and the will of the community?

1 Like