Limit the Types of Addons

Don’t remember pre-made group finder being on of, I remembering them stating they’ll be restricting and disabling addons so it’s not like retail ones (big DBM warning in middle of screen).

yes we do. The base game includes addons and we like it.

I think the more correct interpretation of what he said is more along the lines of:

1. Addons in Classic are not going to be allowed to do much more than Addons could do in Vanilla.
  2. Addons in Classic are not going to be allowed to do things that they are not allowed to do in retail.
  3. Certain LFG functionality, as well as mods like GearScore, and other addons that are widely regarded as significant contributors to “a toxic player environment” will be scrutinized, and Blizzard may try to find ways to “break” or otherwise prohibit them.
5 Likes

If you don’t like playing the game without addons then you don’t really like the game. I don’t know how someone could quit over not having a certain addon

Can you provide a reference for this? I’ve heard no raid markers, which we did have in vanilla, and now no alerts, which we had in Vanilla too…

Someone’s either misinterpreting, or Blizzard didn’t check what we actually had back then.

Like it or not the devs have always stood by the position that they intended add ons to be used, the same was true in vanilla.

3 Likes

That’s not what they said exactly and raid helper addons have existed since Vanilla. Making it so you can’t have those would not be Vanilla. It would be kind of dumb at this point to restrict what DBM and Bigwigs can do in terms of their displays.

Ziryus, what is with the world recently. We’re agreeing on too many things. Hell must be absolute zero by now.

I never said the devs didn’t. They actually share a similar stance to me so I’m happy they’re banning certain Addons

Hahahahahahahahahaha

The sheer number of addons that get broken by that would be staggering.

Banning them from Global channels isn’t too bad. But the others? LOL.

They never specified what addon functionality they’re going to be banning. Most likely addons that automate group formations and automated game play. I don’t really see them banning/restricting addons like DBM/Bigwigs, threat meters, UI alterations, etc.

I don’t mean banning them from reading Guild, or modifying player text etc. But if addons can’t listen to a private chat channel, or communicating directly, then they can’t coordinate. No-one is going to stand for your guild chat being a constant spam of addons etc.

It’s one way to do it, if they really want to prohibit social-avoidance addons.

I mean this would break pretty much every RP addon. So that would suck.

1 Like

I’m not sure either. I’m not the 95% he’s talking about. Now sure why you think I am?

Not hard, but definitely throwing the baby out with the bathwater and likely to cause outrage from all sorts of directions.

Just one example is MRP3 (or whichever is popular and maintained): Roleplayers generally love addons that allow them to define full names, nicknames, physical features that models wouldn’t have, what others might see on a quick glance when approaching. All of that gets communicated between players via an addon channel.

they said it would be more like Vanilla wow, not removing DBM completely, they stated in the panel, or interview that they’ll restrict is to more Vanilla like but disable to warnings that went on screen.

You’re going to have to provide a link to where they said that, because I don’t remember anything like that being said in any of the videos I’ve seen.

1 Like

You mean the screen shake and flash? Because flashing messages on the screen were certainly Vanilla. At least if you had the right addons installed.

LOL No they don’t

They hired some old addon developers even

AND they make the API to make them possible.

They literally said they’re cracking down on addons for Classic