LGBTQ+ NPCs in game

It is still debatable even among the LGBTQ+ community if Pelagos is trans or not.

But it does, idk if you’re there, but back during Pelagos’s introduction, Blizzard got many thanks and appreciation from trans community.

Now that the honeymoon phase is over; we can take a critical look at it and stop giving anything that just has the illusion of so a pass because. “Representation is representation!”

I’m of the mind to be critical. And this is really piss poor representation if Death is the only way to truly present a transgender character.

I mean why not? if i have to choose between no representation vs representation i’ll always pick the later.

Pelagos is trans but it’s a very minor fact AS IT SHOULD BE TBHhhhh
Nothin more visible for me to be Existing rn hashtag swagsodopetransrights

Didn’t they make a big deal about one of the kyrian being trans, even though literally not a single person asked?

I was not aware it was sunday just yet. I know it is close though.

Alot of people actually asked for it in BFA.

No. This argument may be valid Irl depending on your views but I don’t wanna get into that.

The need for representation in a fantasy universe is nonsense. I play as a space goat that shoots lightning out of my hands. This represents me in literally 0 ways.

I’ve never once thought about who the npcs prefer to bone or what parts are below their waist etc. It has nothing to do with the game.

If it came up in an organic way in the story I wouldn’t care much either way if it was well written. Shoehorning stuff in to fill ideological diversity quotas will never be organic or well written. They’re antithetical.

Please note I don’t intend any hostility towards OP nor any group of people. My argument would be the same if someone was asking for straight representation or any other variation.

Cheers.

1 Like

They have. Not he has. :wink:

But ya, to the OP’s question… there are a few characters in Shadowlands who fall into various lgbtq categories.

If the trans NPC is wearing it convincingly… there’s no way to know who is trans for sure.

What if Overlord Runthak is trans? How would we know or check?
For all we know every other member of the seventh legion is a FtM or MtF.
And why would that matter?

Usually they’ll tell you, or Blizzard will.
I think there’s like 3 blue posts from Blizzard clarifying his gender and pronoun back in Alpha.

1 Like

Does being human count? I feel everyone has that in common.

Not really. They made a post about clarifying Pelagos’ pronouns after they got feedback from the community that he/him pronouns would be preferable over they/them.

Steve Danuser also talked about Pelagos a bit.

Which is pretty weird for the community to force their pronoun on Pelagos, Pelagos already said their pronoun is they/them.

1 Like

if you didn’t say that, i would never know about it.

As I said on many topics before, we are visual beings, I see pelagos, so I think of a blue man. Just that and I would call this being “he” - and I see no problem with that, if the being called pelagos decided to have a masculine appearance, how the hell am I going to call an individual person “them”? if I see a man, he is a man and I would call him as “he/him/man”- because to call someone" them "is a very strange thing in the eyes of an outsider like me (I am from another country)

Not really. Blizzard got feedback from people within the LGBTQI+ community that if Pelagos was meant to be a trans man, he/him pronouns were more appropriate, so they adjusted it.

Which is weird, because you can be a trans man and still use they/them as pronoun.

For all we know every second NPC could be trans without us knowing. I mean, how do you make that obvious to people in a game that does not focus on identity politics, gender, and sexuality?

I mean, in real life not every trans person is gonna run up to everyone and exclaim that they are trans just for the sake of it.

3 Likes

They should just incorporate a dating sim mini game. I’ll even hold off on my hopes of getting a Hearthstone minigame put into taverns where I can just chill and play some card games against NPCs.

Just put a dating sim in that has an algorithm based off your initial picks to show you certain matches with randomized NPC characters. That way, for the people who care to play such a thing, you can surround yourself in your world of gayness or straightness and assume most of the NPCs are that way since that’s what you see on the game.