LGBTQ+ Megathread & Lounge (Part 1)

I wish we had a mental health mega thread and lounge I know I’m the last person to be asking for this but this past week has not been kindS

Mental Health is very important and highly stigmatized. Normalizing discussion of mental health issues, especially things like depression and anxiety which affect a huge number of people each year, has some merit.

But we’ll get a bunch of armchair health experts who think chugging down vitamins and going to the gym can cure a heritable neurochemical disorder.

2 Likes

I argued the issue is we have celebrities using it for clout as way to appear more empathetic which is false. And In process no one takes it seriously anymore

1 Like

I can recommend a book

How to do the work by Dr Nicole LePera

It’s a good book that discusses alot about mental health and healing

Give it a try

~https://www.amazon.com/How-Do-Work-Recognize-Patterns/dp/006301209X

If you were to make one I’d be very supportive ^ _ ^

1 Like

I don’t know how to make a mega thread.

Best to avoid it. Good intentions are great and all but the internet will not care and will absolutely troll the heck out of it. Not the best for anyone to deal with. Moreso for folks that struggle with bad mental stuff

Man you ever wonder why people get so annoyed about lgbtq representation like what harm does it do. And note I know there are some extremist activists that deserve to be called out but I liked the show castlevania and it was a good show and then someone criticism was that it had a lesbian vampire couple. Like what that’s not even remotely important to the story.

1 Like

BAD representation kinda leaves a bad first impression.

Bad representation existing doesn’t give us a reason not to have representation

2 Likes

I didn’t say that. I’m saying why some would have such a violent reaction to it. ( outside of just the obvious bigotry )

Just a thought from your comment tbh and an observation w arguments often seen but you see it w Blizzard a lot too w people being apprehensive about representation in WoW for various minorities because they feel Blizzard writing is bad… well thats another discussion imo blizzard writing being at a certain level shouldn’t be used as an argument to stop representation from being added because… Blizzard is still writing other stories and representation is valid (at that point lets argue for wow to end if their writing is enough to stop representation lets stop the story but I notice they never do that because obviously thats neither realistic or what they want they just don’t want representation added), in the meantime Blizzard writing improving is like another convo that should also exist but not as a reason to delay or not include representation.

Yeah. I mean, I agree. I don’t think we should “settle” for bad representation, but I do think that any and all representation is a net good, and I’d rather those who create media give an honest effort and fail than not try at all.

Yeah I’m not arguing for bad representation either of course just that any representation is good and pertaining to wow for example I feel like the writing can be improved but that shouldn’t stop them from at least including representation fairly just like they include other stories.

Yeah agreed

Because its paradoxical. LGBTQ claims they want equal treatment. When people ignore them like normal people would, LGBTQ claims they’re not being represented. And so the cycle continues.

2 Likes

Here’s how it works

Lets say 90 percent goes to non lgbt. 10 to lgbt.

Saying we want equal stuff isn’t “Hey we want to be ignored” Cuz now that’s even less than 10 percent. I think anyone would be annoyed in that instance.

Representation means nothing really if the non lgbt can’t handle not sharing for two seconds

Meh this posts a bit jumbly as I try to re read it and make sure I make sense. Little tired.

1 Like

Also just a side note I feel like conversations that are had when bad representation happens is important too, but we’ll never have those convos if they don’t make the effort to try idk if that makes sense

It is not a paradoxical position.

Position 1:

1. LGBT individuals ought not to be marginalized
  2. LGBT individuals are marginalized.
  • We should normalize LGBT identities so as to reduce marginalization.

Position 2:

1. Media often features cisgender and heterosexual characters.
  2. Many people are not cisgender or heterosexual.
  • Therefore, media should feature characters who are not cisgender or heterosexual.

I simplified these two arguments as much as possible. I know it can be very difficult and confusing to understand.

3 Likes

You’re not marginalized. That’s the paradox.

They already do.

2 Likes

Uhhhhhh yeah we are.

1 Like